Nansemond River boys 3:20.95 4x400
Vamonie Boddie (Phoebus) 44.36
Photos by Ryan Kelly
6 state bests at CNU
Girls 400 - Shakeela Saunders (Nansemond River) 56.58
Girls 300H - Vamonie Boddie (Phoebus) 44.36
Girls 4x100 - Western Branch 47.45
Girls Discus - Kiara Howell (Grassfield) 141'7"
Boys 4x400 - Nansemond River 3:20.95
Boys Shot Put - Taylor Frenia (Kempsville) 58'4.25"
CNU Captain's Classic Photo Gallery by Ryan Kelly - Over 4,000 photos uploaded.
CNU Captain's Classic Race Videos by Brandon Miles - Still adding videos overnight Sunday into Monday.
Nansemond River boys won an exciting and competitive 4x400 meter relay to close the meet. Their time of 3:20.95 is a state best time and indicates a team capable of dipping under 3:20 later this spring.
The Western Branch girls are head and shoulders ahead of the rest in the 4x100 meter relay currently as they were in the 4x200 meter relay indoors. Their time of 47.45 at CNU on Saturday in the 4x100 puts them a full second ahead of the next best 4x100 in Virginia, Cosby at 48.45.
Phoebus freshmen star Carolyn Brown made her debut in the 300 meter hurdles this weekend. Brown has been great in everything which she has competed in for Phoebus this year, so why not try the hurdles. However, her teammate Vamonie Boddie reminded her that she is a former state champion in this event from two years ago and won the event in a VA #1 time of 44.36. Brown did well in her first race though as a runner-up at 45.76 to finish ahead of the 100 meter hurdles winner Chantel Ray of Hampton (4th, 46.39). Ray's time earlier in the meet in the 100 meter hurdles was second fastest on the season in Virginia at 14.60.
A stacked girls 400 meter dash field featuring two sub 40 second 300 meter girls from indoors in Shakeela Saunders of Nansemond River and Jessica Ewing of Tallwood along with 500 meter indoor state champion Maya Moore of Bethel. Saunders and Ewing made it clear in the first 200 meters that it would be a two-person race between them both. Saunders was able to pull away in the end with a state best time of 56.58 to be followed by Ewing at 57.32 for second place. For the Nansemond River senior Saunders who originally started at Great Bridge High School as a freshmen and sophomore, it was her fastest 400 meter time in two years since a personal best 55.32 performance as a 10th grader at Great Bridge.
The fastest girls' 200 meter time came not from the large school blue division, but small school silver division instead as Lafayette's Krista Ferrell smoked a sub 25 second clocking with a meet division record time of 24.97. Ferrell is coming off a successfull indoor season which she placed third in the AA State Meet at the 55 meter dash and 300 meter dash.
One of the all-time great throwers in Virginia high school history was on display at the CNU Captain's Classic and potentially another future all-time great were found in girls' throwing events this weekend. Grassfield senior Kiara Howell and Nansemond River freshmen Zakiya Rashid finished 1-2 respectively in the girls shot put and girls discus throw. Howell is chasing the state outdoor record in the shot put this spring and recorded another big mark in the shot at 47'1" to break the meet record along with a personal best mark of 141'7" in the discus to establish herself as the state title favorite in both events. Meanwhile, Rashid is exceeding many of Howell's freshmen year marks and if she continues to progress could be challenging for state titles and records as well. Rashid had a pair of PR's in the throws between her marks of 39'5" in the shot and 128'6" in the discus.
The Grassfield girls were able to beat the top two ranked 4x400 meter relays from the indoor season in the Eastern Region between Western Branch and Bethel with their first sub four minute clocking of the year with a VA #2 time of 3:58.82. It was a significant drop from the indoor season for Grassfield who topped out in the winter with a best time of 4:03.
Oscar Smith's Michael Cherry, an All-American indoors at 400 meters with a national junior class record time, worked on his speed at CNU with a solid 200 meter time of 22.05. Cherry is still looking for his first sub 22 second time in the 200, which would only help drop his quarter time as well.
The silver division of the boys 3200 meter run turned out to be the better race between the two divisions with Trinity's Guy Shelby setting a stern pace for Maggie Walker's Drew Anderson and Lafayette's Kurtis Steck. Despite having to do the pacework throughout, Shelby was the strongest at the end finishing to pull away with a big personal time of 9:29.11. Anderson also got pulled along to a personal best performance at 9:33.90 for runner-up honors, while Steck was just under 9:40 for third place.
A thrilling race to close out the meet with a state leading time produced by the Nansemond River boys in the 4x400 meter relay. After lead changes and tightly contested through 3 legs with Norview and Western Branch, Nansemond River's anchor was able to put them in the lead for the win at 3:20.95. Norview was unfortunately disqualified to allow their quick time to stand and Western Branch moved into second at 3:22.74.
Two VA #1 performances were recorded among the boys including the 4x400 meter relay and the shot put. Taylor Frenia of Kempsville, the 2012 Group AAA indoor state champ in the shot put, was 6 feet better than his top challenger Austin Johnson of Grassfield with a winning mark of 58'4.25". Frenia is capable of winning by larger margins with some past 60 foot marks in his arsenal. Frenia swept the throws by notching another first place in the discus with a throw of 158'8".
Lafayette's Derek Holdsworth was a Group AA state champ indoors at 500 meters. The talented sophomore showed that he excels at the mid-distance events and also ability to double in a short span by winning both the 400 meter dash and 800 meter run in the silver division with times of 51.08 and 2:01.58. New Kent moved up to compete in the larger school blue division, which paid off for Austin Savage as he was pulled along to a personal best run of 1:57.85 at 800 meters by edging out Grassfield's Alex Midkiff (2nd, 1:58.04) at the line).
Henrico's Carlton Edwards has put together back-to-back wins in major invites for the early stages of the 2012 outdoor season in the 300 meter hurdles after following his 38.81 PR clocking at Manchester Relays with a time just off that performance of 39.00 at CNU. Edwards was 10th at the AAA State Indoor Championships this past February in the 300 meter dash with a best time of 36.24 and does not seem to be running much slower with hurdles in front of him outdoors.
Group AA 1000 meter indoor champ Jack Little ran a new PR at 1600 meters in impressive fashion with leading wire-to-wire for a final time of 4:21.63. After running 2:33 indoors in the 1000, Little certainly has the speed to break under 4:20 in the 1600 soon this season. Little doubled back on Saturday for a 1:59 800 to finish fourth in his second race of the meet.
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Chantel Ray (Hampton Girls) 14.60 SB; Lauren Jones (Smithfield) 17.04 SB; Jazmine Vaughan (Phoebus) 15.06 SB; Charlotte Cross (Saint Catherine s) 17.65 SB; Mackenzie Scott* (Hanover) 15.50 SB; Heather Smith (Great Bridge High School) 15.62 SB; Emily Miller (Wilson (3)) 16.58 SB; Jonniece Scott (Manchester High School) 16.74 SB; Jada Gundran (Tallwood) 16.82; Donae' Elliott (Churchland) 17.26 SB; Sierra Richards (Manchester High School) 17.74 SB; Ashaila Bunch (Phoebus) 17.77 SB;
- 100 Meter Dash - Gabrielle Snipes (Kings Fork) 12.59; Krista Ferrell (Lafayette) 12.65 SB; Justice Seward (Salem (Virginia Beach)) 12.76; Adrianne Goodlet (New Kent) 12.87; Brittnee Perry (Grassfield) 12.78; Naomi Walker (Smithfield) 12.90; Anise Cuffee (Bethel) 12.79 SB; kyra Glenn (Ocean Lakes) 12.83; Skylar Dantzler(Wilson (3)) 13.02 SB; Alexia Vonner (Kempsville High School) 13.02 SB; Morgan Harris (Manchester High School) 13.04 SB;
- 1600 Meter Run - Michaela Cody (Bruton) 5:17.02 SB; Hannah Gray (Grassfield) 5:20.92 SB; Libby Parrish (Saint Catherine s) 5:17.58 SB; Carolyn Cunniffe(Grassfield) 5:26.10; Jessica Lull * (Maggie Walker) 5:22.77 SB; Elizabeth Hutton (Manchester High School) 5:27.19 SB; Liz Spruill (Saint Catherine s) 5:28.07 SB;Randall Ackerly (Saint Catherine s) 5:29.06 SB; Samantha Park (Ocean Lakes) 5:30.72 SB; Alexandra Justice (Western Branch High School) 5:31.04 SB; Becca Eudailey (New Kent) 5:32.81 SB; Carley Shannon (Bruton) 5:35.09 SB; Rebecca Owens (Wilson (3)) 5:36.07 SB; Sarah Wade (Great Bridge High School) 5:36.73 SB;
- 200 Meter Dash - Krista Ferrell (Lafayette) 24.97 SB; Anise Cuffee (Bethel) 25.16 SB; Andrea Wright (Indian River High School) 25.19 SB; Naomi Walker(Smithfield) 25.60 SB; Justice Seward (Salem (Virginia Beach)) 25.29 SB; Adrianne Goodlet (New Kent) 26.01; Brittnee Perry (Grassfield) 25.43 SB; Dasha Hill(Bruton) 26.82 SB; Mia McClain (Nansemond River) 25.77 SB; Megan Jones (Lafayette) 26.85 SB; Skylar Dantzler (Wilson (3)) 25.79 SB; Sholanda Cary* (Henrico) 26.32 SB; Imoni Anderson (Glen Allen High School) 26.52 SB; Christal Wilson (Grassfield) 26.57 SB; Alexia Vonner (Kempsville High School) 26.91 SB; Carol Burgess (Great Valley) 26.94 SB; Kara Lyles (Nansemond River) 27.00 SB; Brittany Hicks * (Glen Allen High School) 27.06;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Vamonie Boddie (Phoebus) 44.36 SB; Deborah Allison (Lafayette) 49.76 SB; Carolyn Brown (Phoebus) 45.76 SB; Heather Smith (Great Bridge High School) 46.18 SB; Chantel Ray (Hampton Girls) 46.39 SB; Jazmine Vaughan (Phoebus) 47.23 SB; Margaret Draper (Tallwood) 47.70; Brehanna Daniels(Salem (Virginia Beach)) 48.43 SB; Charity Wilson (Grassfield) 48.78 SB; Danielle Hill (Kings Fork) 49.11 SB; Emily Miller (Wilson (3)) 49.32 SB; Khadijah Vines(Bethel) 49.53 SB; Donae' Elliott (Churchland) 50.08; Roneka Spady (Kings Fork) 50.69 SB; Courtney Ricks (Kings Fork) 50.77 SB; Chrystine Sampson (Ocean Lakes) 51.00; Ra'Dysha Turner (Granby) 51.32 SB;
- 3200 Meter Run - Carolyn Cunniffe (Grassfield) 11:38.72 SB; Becca Eudailey (New Kent) 11:44.95 SB; Samantha Harbison (Great Valley) 11:41.97 SB; Joanna Morelli (Walsingham Academy) 12:22.01 SB; Hannah Gray (Grassfield) 11:49.49 SB; Lindsay Lickers (Maggie Walker) 12:31.93 SB; Brianna Akright (Manchester High School) 12:03.41 SB; Jessica Freedman (Hickory High School) 12:04.99 SB; Elizabeth Hutton (Manchester High School) 12:06.38 SB; Megan Dister (Maury High School) 12:14.66 SB; Olivia Place (Wilson (3)) 12:16.08 SB; Anna Robins (Gloucester) 12:30.18; Sarah Derrick (Ocean Lakes) 12:33.26 SB;
- 400 Meter Dash - Sha'Keela Saunders (Nansemond River) 56.58 SB; Jessica Ewing (Tallwood) 57.32 SB; Maya Moore (Bethel) 58.78 SB; Ebony White (Indian River High School) 58.81 SB; Imoni Anderson (Glen Allen High School) 59.51; Andrea Wright (Indian River High School) 59.66 SB; Kieaira Middleton (Nansemond River) 1:00.64 SB; Carol Burgess (Great Valley) 1:01.38; Maya Bivens (Granby) 1:01.40 SB; Katia Pierce (Phoebus) 1:01.75 SB; Amari McFadden* (Henrico) 1:01.90 SB; Ashley Greenle (Bethel) 1:01.97 SB; Taeyana Reynolds (Salem (Virginia Beach)) 1:02.25 SB;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Western Branch High School 47.45; Nansemond River 48.59; Phoebus 48.72; Norview 49.55; Kings Fork 49.79; Manchester High School50.26;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Grassfield 3:58.82; Lafayette 4:08.83; Western Branch High School 4:00.06; Bethel 4:01.52; Norview 4:03.14; Phoebus 4:05.87;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Manchester High School 9:59.74;
- 800 Meter Run - Ebony White (Indian River High School) 2:25.74 SB; Heidi Peterson (Lafayette) 2:27.00 SB; Adrian Walker (Manchester High School) 2:27.08 SB;Nicole Park (Ocean Lakes) 2:27.64 SB; Dominique Mendes (Western Branch High School) 2:27.73 SB; Samantha Shenk (Great Valley) 2:28.35 SB;
- Discus - Kiara Howell (Grassfield) 141-7 SB; Zakiya Rashid (Nansemond River) 128-6 SB; Katrice Barrow (Heritage (Newport News)) 108-2 SB; Mikaela Naugle(Wilson (3)) 101-3 SB; Jenira Shufford (Heritage (Newport News)) 101-1 SB; Julianne Gentry (Kempsville High School) 99-11 SB;
- High Jump - Evan Wagner (Gloucester) 5-2 SB; Nicole Rossi (Ocean Lakes) 5-0; Emily Miller (Wilson (3)) 5-0;
- Long Jump - Kennedy King (Phoebus) 17-7 SB; Jayme Thomas (Bethel) 17-3; Morgan Harris (Manchester High School) 17-3 SB; Skylar Dantzler (Wilson (3)) 16-4.5;
- Pole Vault - Shelby Hamm (Jamestown) 10-0 SB; Crystal Eley (Western Branch High School) 9-0 SB;
- Shot Put - Kiara Howell (Grassfield) 47-1; Zakiya Rashid (Nansemond River) 39-5 SB; Davoni Parker (Henrico) 33-3 SB; Julianne Gentry (Kempsville High School) 32-6.5;
- Triple Jump - Deborah Allison (Lafayette) 34-8; Margaret Draper (Tallwood) 35-3 SB; Bri Miller (Saint Catherine s) 34-7.5 SB; Mashea Jones (Churchland) 35-2 SB;Jayme Thomas (Bethel) 34-10 SB;
- 100 Meter Dash - Desmond Smallwood (Lafayette) 11.26 SB; Jamarian Bates* (Matoaca High School) 11.35 SB; Isaiah Harper (Grassfield) 11.37 SB; Lawrence Harris (Granby) 11.42 SB;
- 110 Meter Hurdles - Quantelius Garrett (Nansemond River) 14.79 SB; Aaron Simpson (Western Branch High School) 15.24; Christopher Hawkins (Tallwood) 15.39 SB; Micah Todd (Manchester High School) 15.53; Christian Rogers (Manchester High School) 15.58; Jamal Burris (Western Branch High School) 15.70 SB;Carlton Edwards (Henrico) 16.26; Trent Whitfield (Granby) 16.37 SB;
- 1600 Meter Run - Jack Little (York) 4:21.63 SB; Jason Menzies (Lafayette) 4:33.65 SB; Dawson Connell (York) 4:28.80 SB; Tyler Lumpkin (King George) 4:36.52 SB; James Poyer* (Hanover) 4:29.92 SB; Simon Watrous (Lafayette) 4:37.79 SB; Daniel Jagdmann * (Maggie Walker) 4:38.20 SB; Seth Taylor (Grassfield) 4:35.16 SB; Chad Flood (Tallwood) 4:37.24 SB; Brandon Winters (Ocean Lakes) 4:37.80 SB;
- 200 Meter Dash - Michael Cherry (Oscar Smith High School) 22.05 SB; Desmond Smallwood (Lafayette) 22.61; Dominique Mcbride (Bethel) 22.60 SB; Robert Hunt (Hickory High School) 22.80 SB; Lawrence Harris (Granby) 22.81 SB; Austin Keith (Matoaca High School) 22.90 SB; James Overby (Phoebus) 22.93 SB;Markice Street (Petersburg) 22.96 SB; Quantelius Garrett (Nansemond River) 23.01 SB; Joseph Bruno (Wilson (3)) 23.01 SB;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Carlton Edwards (Henrico) 39.00; Paul Fyffe (Bruton) 42.23 SB; Charles Grahm (Phoebus) 41.16 SB; Garrett Losty (Lafayette) 42.50; Micah Todd (Manchester High School) 41.76 SB; Aaron Simpson (Western Branch High School) 41.90 SB; Jamal Burris (Western Branch High School) 42.10; Malcolm White (Tallwood) 42.15;
- 3200 Meter Run - Guy Shelby (Trinity Episcopal School) 9:29.11 SB; Nick Richardson (Western Branch High School) 9:44.54 SB; Andrew Anderson * (Maggie Walker) 9:33.90 SB; Andrew Osborne (York) 9:46.82 SB; Kurtis Steck (Lafayette) 9:39.29 SB; Micah Ellington (Hickory High School) 9:46.92 SB; Mac Strehler(Trinity Episcopal School) 9:53.35 SB; Eric Rodrigo (Wilson (3)) 10:12.89 SB; Chris Cantone (Trinity Episcopal School) 9:54.57 SB; Glenn Rose (Tallwood) 10:19.01 SB; Reider Strehler (Trinity Episcopal School) 9:56.51 SB; Adam Link (Walsingham Academy) 10:03.65 SB;
- 400 Meter Dash - Jimmy Brooks (Wilson (3)) 49.00 SB; Derek Holdsworth (Lafayette) 51.08 SB; Kebari Cheseman (Bethel) 50.08 SB; Josh Brown (Ocean Lakes) 50.31 SB; Derrian Flemming (Bethel) 50.83 SB; Jesse Poore (Wilson (3)) 50.87 SB; Kentrail May (Nansemond River) 50.99; Robert-Richard Snipes (Maury High School) 51.14 SB; Xavier Collins (Oscar Smith High School) 51.62 SB; Isaiah Harper (Grassfield) 51.68 SB; Marik Jolley (Tallwood) 51.68 SB; Paris Smith(Grassfield) 51.72; Montae Chappell (Petersburg) 51.73 SB; Chase Dunn (New Kent) 51.75 SB; Tony Richardson (Ocean Lakes) 51.80 SB; Darius Green (Hampton) 51.84 SB; Andrew Gould (Kings Fork) 51.97 SB; Javon Guerrier * (Glen Allen High School) 52.07 SB; Mondryl Glover (Western Branch High School) 52.13 SB;Samuel Gunther* (Matoaca High School) 52.14 SB;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Western Branch High School 42.55; Salem (Virginia Beach) 43.18; Granby 43.31; Ocean Lakes 43.68;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Nansemond River 3:20.95; Western Branch High School 3:22.74; Wilson (3) 3:23.46; Great Valley 3:29.48;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Western Branch High School 8:10.28; Churchland 8:11.42;
- 800 Meter Run - Austin Savage (New Kent) 1:57.85 SB; Derek Holdsworth (Lafayette) 2:01.58 SB; Alex Midkiff (Grassfield) 1:58.04 SB; Tyler Lumpkin (King George) 2:03.05 SB; David Harrison (Ocean Lakes) 1:59.59 SB; Nicholas Dunham (Smithfield) 2:03.49 SB; Jack Little (York) 1:59.94 SB; Scott Gemmell-Davis(Lafayette) 2:03.73 SB; James Poyer* (Hanover) 2:01.18 SB; Aaron Thompson (Manchester High School) 2:01.21 SB; Stanley Davis * (Glen Allen High School) 2:01.25; Lucas Nachman* (Hanover) 2:01.27 SB; Dawson Connell (York) 2:01.83 SB;
- Discus - Preston D. Richardson (Broadwater Academy) 142-4; Taylor Frenia (Kempsville High School) 158-8 SB; Jarrell Bennett (Gloucester) 147-10; Desmond Stills (Nansemond River) 142-7 SB; Darian Weidenhammer (Wilson (3)) 142-0 SB; Michael Garrett (Grassfield) 141-7; William Moore (Churchland) 136-7 SB; Datrail Hockaday (Churchland) 130-11 SB; Brad Parlow* (Matoaca High School) 130-9 SB; Bryan Surgeoner (Wilson (3)) 130-7 SB; David Thompson (Manchester High School) 130-6 SB;
- High Jump - Brandon Roberts (Nansemond River) 6-4 SB; Korey Bullard (Salem (Virginia Beach)) 6-2; Bradley Jones (Oscar Smith High School) 6-2; Quantelius Garrett (Nansemond River) 6-2; James Overby (Phoebus) 6-0 SB; Denis Charles (Tallwood) 6-0; Alex Gregro (Wilson (3)) 6-0 SB;
- Long Jump - Rafael Moore (Tallwood) 22-4; Mondryl Glover (Western Branch High School) 22-2.25 SB; Alston Cobb (Western Branch High School) 21-8 SB;Dominique Torres (Grassfield) 21-6.5 SB; Alex Gregro (Wilson (3)) 21-5 SB; Micah Todd (Manchester High School) 21-2 SB;
- Pole Vault - Steven Goeltz (Wilson (3)) 13-0; Trevor Atkins (Wilson (3)) 12-6 SB;
- Shot Put - Taylor Frenia (Kempsville High School) 58-4.25 SB; Austin Johnson (Grassfield) 52-0.25; Ezra Hill (Manchester High School) 48-9.75 SB; Andew Hines(Grassfield) 48-4.5 SB; Jordan Anderson (Tallwood) 47-11.25; Ethan Werner (Wilson (3)) 47-3.5 SB; David Rimarski (Kempsville High School) 47-3.25 SB; William Moore (Churchland) 47-3.25 SB;
- Triple Jump - Racheed Davis (Ocean Lakes) 45-0 SB; Dominique Torres (Grassfield) 44-10 SB; Christian Rogers (Manchester High School) 44-3.5; Rafael Moore(Tallwood) 43-1; Torian Cameron (Salem (Virginia Beach)) 42-11.5 SB;