RICHMOND, Va. - For the first time, Virginia will have a comprehensive middle school state championships for both cross country and outdoor track. XC will be run in late October and track will be run in late May.
These championships will decide both team titles and individual titles for the state of Virginia. These state titles will be only for the middle school athletes (grades 6-8) with exhibition races for elementary athletes.
Here is the quick overview of the events:
- October 2019 (Richmond area)
- Registration Opening in September, 2019
- Top 50 Individuals qualify for championship races
- Teams who run at qualifier meets qualify for championship races
- All others may run in either elementary or exhibition races
- Middle Schoolers run 4K, Elementary Schoolers run 2K
Outdoor Track States
- May 2020
- Registration Opening in April, 2020
- Athletes qualify by rank in their event
- Most events will have four sections, 100/100H will have prelims
- Top three teams receive awards, top six individuals
*These events will be open to all athletes middle school grades whether they are from public, private or home schools. Athletes competing will need their parents/coaches to fill out the signed waiver which will be attached to the registration meet page. Schools competing in the team championships will also be considered "Clubs" for sanctioning reasoning. All of this information will be provided on the meet pages as well.
For more information email meet management at "MiddleSchoolStatesVA@gmail.com"