Breaking news out of Williamsburg, the mens track and field team has officially been reinstated per a Thursday press release from the University. This news follows a long few months of breaking news out of this storied program in Virginia.
Timeline of W&M saga:
- September 3rd: William & Mary announced dropping of multiple sports due to financial concerns inside the athletic department and university. This included mens indoor and outdoor track but left XC untouched. They did not give athletes any heads up about this.
- October 6th: Athletic Director Samantha Huge resigned amidst the controversy of this decision and specifically its rollout.
- October 6th: Jeremy Martin was named interim Athletic Director at W&M.
- October 26th: William & Mary women's track team pens open letter to administration saying they will not compete for W&M until their male teammates are reinstated as a full varsity program.
- November 5th: W&M president Katherine Rowe announces the reinstatement of the cut programs including mens track and field, both indoors and outdoors. This move is to allow the entire university to study the issues and look at "alternative solutions leading to a long-term financial plan".