- Grassfield freshmen Grant Holloway has big footsteps to follow in his older brother Trey Holloway, the Group AAA state champion last year in the 55 meter hurdles indoor and 110 meter hurdles outdoors. However, his older brother Trey never ran as fast as Grant did on Thursday at Boo Williams as a ninth grader with Grant Holloway winning the 55 meter hurdles in a state best performance of 7.57. His older brother Trey did not get into the 7.50s until his junior year before becoming the VA #4 all-time performer as a senior with a 7.24 high school best.
- Western Branch sophomore Milan Parks just missed All-State in the 55 meter hurdles last year as a freshmen with a 9th place finish in the state meet finals, but was three-time All-State finisher in the jumps last year. Parks looked to be in fine form as in All-State caliber form in the first Southeastern District regular season meet in the hurdles with a VA #1 clocking of 8.51 in the 55 meter hurdles, which was .09 off her personal best last year of 8.42. Parks also won the 300 meter dash on Thursday with a 43.34 performance.
- Returning Group AAA state 500 meter dash runner-up Byron Robinson of Western Branch was not far off where he finished last indoor track at Boo Williams with a state best performance of 1:06.02. Robinson has a personal best of 1:05.81 in the event, so a debut performance of 1:06 indicates that Robinson may be fit and ready to challenge for a sub 1:05 performance this season and join an elite group of past Virginians to have ran that fast in high school for 500 meters. Robinson has great range as a track athlete in the short to long sprints as well as taking up the hurdles in the last year.
- Swift 3200 meter times were posted by the Southeastern District's cross country champions in the fall between Western Branch's Nick Richardson (9:42.15) and Grassfield's Carolyn Cunniffe (11:45.42). Both were not far off their personal bests with Richardson at 9:39 and Cunniffe at 11:37.
- Nansemond RIver freshmen Brandee Johnson made a splashing high school track debut with a 1:18.83 performance in the 500 meter dash.
- State bests were produced in the 4x200 meter relays by the King's Fork girls (1:49.32) and boys (1:33.17).