Article Comment: MileStat.com Winter Fundraiser Challenge: State Meet Coverage or None
02/06/2013 9:49:57 AM
User
Dear Brandon, thank you for the outstanding coverage you and your team provide. We would miss too much without this great site. Please accept our donation. Sincerely and truly grateful, The Colson Family
Dear Brandon, thank you for the outstanding coverage you and your team provide. We would miss too much without this great site. Please accept our donation. Sincerely and truly grateful, The Colson Family
02/06/2013 12:02:11 PM
Coach
As a former high school runner that graduated with (and ran against) Brandon in high school, I 100% back this. Prior to my sophomore year, there was almost nothing on high school running to be found. In less than a year, it became a highly frequented database with a plethora of useful information. Now, as a collegiate coach who has been spoiled throughout his running and coaching career by the ease of use of this website, I cannot imagine what it would be like to not have this info. I don't think many people realize what it was like trying to find results and coverage of meets before this website. You have my donation, and please let me know if I can help in any way. Tom Antenucci Head Men's and Women's Cross Country Coach Emory & Henry College
As a former high school runner that graduated with (and ran against) Brandon in high school, I 100% back this. Prior to my sophomore year, there was almost nothing on high school running to be found. In less than a year, it became a highly frequented database with a plethora of useful information.

Now, as a collegiate coach who has been spoiled throughout his running and coaching career by the ease of use of this website, I cannot imagine what it would be like to not have this info. I don't think many people realize what it was like trying to find results and coverage of meets before this website. You have my donation, and please let me know if I can help in any way.

Tom Antenucci
Head Men's and Women's Cross Country Coach
Emory & Henry College
02/06/2013 12:11:12 PM
User
Donation on behalf of The Falls Church XC/Track Teams.
Donation on behalf of The Falls Church XC/Track Teams.
02/06/2013 1:47:19 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I'm an editor for a rival track and XC website who has subscribed to this and other network sites and will continue to do so. I have also added an additional donation today. Brandon has been a good friend, has contributed to my site in years past, and I appreciate and believe in what he's doing. I hope this will inspire others to help him meet his goal. Few in the sport can attest to the same level of commitment he has had for many years. Brandon, I hope you make it to state and achieve all of your goals in the big picture. Support this guy, Virginia!
I'm an editor for a rival track and XC website who has subscribed to this and other network sites and will continue to do so. I have also added an additional donation today. Brandon has been a good friend, has contributed to my site in years past, and I appreciate and believe in what he's doing. I hope this will inspire others to help him meet his goal. Few in the sport can attest to the same level of commitment he has had for many years. Brandon, I hope you make it to state and achieve all of your goals in the big picture. Support this guy, Virginia!
02/06/2013 2:49:16 PM
Coach
Brandon, I have said this is other forum threads, but I will say this again; please consider having an account tied to one IP address (i.e. one computer per account). This will cut down on the account sharing dramatically. While some might not think it fair, it is far better to inconvenience people and cut down on the sharing, then to go without this incredible site. With dyestat.com down and only minimal coverage from other states, there really isn't much out there better than milestat.com. Please consider giving a donation or subscribing if you have been sharing. It is well worth the small amount of money for the wealth of posts on this site. Sincerely, Coach Loesel milestat.com subscriber
Brandon,

I have said this is other forum threads, but I will say this again; please consider having an account tied to one IP address (i.e. one computer per account). This will cut down on the account sharing dramatically.

While some might not think it fair, it is far better to inconvenience people and cut down on the sharing, then to go without this incredible site.

With dyestat.com down and only minimal coverage from other states, there really isn't much out there better than milestat.com.

Please consider giving a donation or subscribing if you have been sharing. It is well worth the small amount of money for the wealth of posts on this site.

Sincerely,

Coach Loesel
milestat.com subscriber
02/06/2013 11:41:00 PM
User
Brandon, I'm about to add a third account for our family now that my youngest daughter is running -- but I'm also making a donation. Thanks for all that you do. Virginia track and field would not be the same without your services! Best, Cheryl G. and famiy
Brandon,
I'm about to add a third account for our family now that my youngest daughter is running -- but I'm also making a donation. Thanks for all that you do. Virginia track and field would not be the same without your services!

Best,
Cheryl G. and famiy
02/07/2013 12:11:17 AM
User
PS Brandon, couple of suggestions since I raise money for a living: move your donate button to the top of the home page and to the top of your message. Add a donation button on each of your content pages -- you have banner ads for sponsors, why not one for this site? Finally, if you can, add a countdown clock and pledge tally to the home page. You've got a $5,000 goal -- how close are you now? How many folks have chipped in? Good luck!
PS Brandon, couple of suggestions since I raise money for a living: move your donate button to the top of the home page and to the top of your message. Add a donation button on each of your content pages -- you have banner ads for sponsors, why not one for this site? Finally, if you can, add a countdown clock and pledge tally to the home page. You've got a $5,000 goal -- how close are you now? How many folks have chipped in? Good luck!
02/09/2013 9:11:17 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Brandon, I ran for Osbourn
Brandon, I ran for Osbourn
02/09/2013 9:23:40 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Brandon, I ran for Osbourn in the late 60s. There was virtually no coverage until John Dye's kid were at Mayland. I watched a highschool soph. start a website that has become the epitome of Virginia high school running. I watched that soph. become part of a national record setting 4 x mile team. I had a courageous patient who was your Midlo. teamate who lost a battle with leukemia, and you wrote a heart wrenching story in Jan of your 2nd year at CNU. Brandon, you have given us so much for so little. When this campaign is over and you are short, email me and we will fix things. Thank you for all you have done! Bill Thompson...WILD1
Brandon, I ran for Osbourn in the late 60s. There was virtually no coverage until John Dye's kid were at Mayland. I watched a highschool soph. start a website that has become the epitome of Virginia high school running. I watched that soph. become part of a national record setting 4 x mile team. I had a courageous patient who was your Midlo. teamate who lost a battle with leukemia, and you wrote a heart wrenching story in Jan of your 2nd year at CNU. Brandon, you have given us so much for so little. When this campaign is over and you are short, email me and we will fix things.
Thank you for all you have done!

Bill Thompson...WILD1
02/10/2013 4:10:23 PM
User
Brandon, Where are you on the $5000 target?
Brandon,

Where are you on the $5000 target?
02/12/2013 11:43:51 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks to all who have donated so far! No sum is greater or smaller than the rest, it is all appreciated equally. Currently we are just over halfway at reaching the goal at $2,506.
Thanks to all who have donated so far! No sum is greater or smaller than the rest, it is all appreciated equally.

Currently we are just over halfway at reaching the goal at $2,506.
02/18/2013 1:04:09 PM
User
@MileStat it's been almost a week since the last update. Hopefully everyone has been chipping in to help.
@MileStat it's been almost a week since the last update. Hopefully everyone has been chipping in to help.
02/18/2013 5:20:28 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I've received donations from over 40 people totaling $3,491, so two days and $1,500 to reach goal in order for state meet coverage to be provided by MileStat.com. Thanks again to those who have donated, money has been used to help pay for championship season coverage so far and if we don't cover the state meet, anything left over will be used for this spring's outdoor meet coverage.
I've received donations from over 40 people totaling $3,491, so two days and $1,500 to reach goal in order for state meet coverage to be provided by MileStat.com. Thanks again to those who have donated, money has been used to help pay for championship season coverage so far and if we don't cover the state meet, anything left over will be used for this spring's outdoor meet coverage.
02/19/2013 5:57:25 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Brandon, Giving/donating is a very personal thing and it should never be prefaced with an ultimatum. I understand your level of frustration, with the amount of work you put into the site versus return on investment, but I feel you are taking this out on your client base (ALL OF US) and I take it personal. As a businessman in the Information Technology area myself, I can tell you from experience, you cannot stop people from sharing usernames - you cannot control that – my recommendation is to limit users from logging-in concurrently (the same way all other Internet subscription companies do); easily done through proper controls on your database and with algorithms. I've supported this site with subscription and donations, but I’ll be frank with you: taking your clients hostage unless they donate $5,000.00 is not the way to do it, in fact it's counter-productive. Many of us would have come up with the funding without the need for the threat. As somebody that cares a lot about Track & Field, the community and this site, let me preach a little: First, I recommend you have different levels of users/donors subscriptions: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond (silver: $50.00, Gold: $250.00 Platinum: $500.00 and Diamond: $1,000.00+ check The Armory Foundation site for an example: http://www.armorytrack.com/Armory/donate. I ran there when I was in high school many years ago and will always support them). Designate the users as such (GOLD, SILVER....) after their username and allow them a few extra perks and possibly longer than one year subscription. After all, if I’m forking over $1K to $2K as a donation, the last thing I want is for my account to be deactivated because it expired 3-4 weeks after making a donation to your site. This happens because a donation and subscription are treated differently (I'm not saying give them lifetime membership, but an account should never be deactivated a few weeks or months after a big donation - the least you should do is restart their subscription after the donation) – I’m speaking from personal experience here. Second, and this is key: build a relationship with your donor base – those that donate, will always donate because they have an altruistic and philanthropic heart. I’m pretty sure that anyone who becomes a Gold, Platinum or Diamond user is doing it because they believe in what you are doing and the value you provide to the community. I also believe it would be more personal and would harvest more equity for your endeavor to send a personal note (card by mail/not email) to your donor base (those above the basic level) asking them for help/support/donations, in lieu of or tandem to posting a blog. Many of us are traveling 8-9 months out of the year and are not always on the site. People that donate above the basic level will respond and take care of you. Trust me, they will feel that they have a personal connection to what you are doing and want to see you and our athletes succeed. Finally, I love your site and the work you are doing, but I will find it very difficult to continue to support this site if you decide to follow-through with your threat not to cover the State Championship. Regards, Manny @RiVidium
Brandon,

Giving/donating is a very personal thing and it should never be prefaced with an ultimatum. I understand your level of frustration, with the amount of work you put into the site versus return on investment, but I feel you are taking this out on your client base (ALL OF US) and I take it personal. As a businessman in the Information Technology area myself, I can tell you from experience, you cannot stop people from sharing usernames - you cannot control that -- my recommendation is to limit users from logging-in concurrently (the same way all other Internet subscription companies do); easily done through proper controls on your database and with algorithms.

I've supported this site with subscription and donations, but I'll be frank with you: taking your clients hostage unless they donate $5,000.00 is not the way to do it, in fact it's counter-productive. Many of us would have come up with the funding without the need for the threat. As somebody that cares a lot about Track & Field, the community and this site, let me preach a little: First, I recommend you have different levels of users/donors subscriptions: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond (silver: $50.00, Gold: $250.00 Platinum: $500.00 and Diamond: $1,000.00+ check The Armory Foundation site for an example: http://www.armorytrack.com/Armory/donate. I ran there when I was in high school many years ago and will always support them). Designate the users as such (GOLD, SILVER....) after their username and allow them a few extra perks and possibly longer than one year subscription. After all, if I'm forking over $1K to $2K as a donation, the last thing I want is for my account to be deactivated because it expired 3-4 weeks after making a donation to your site. This happens because a donation and subscription are treated differently (I'm not saying give them lifetime membership, but an account should never be deactivated a few weeks or months after a big donation - the least you should do is restart their subscription after the donation) -- I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Second, and this is key: build a relationship with your donor base -- those that donate, will always donate because they have an altruistic and philanthropic heart. I'm pretty sure that anyone who becomes a Gold, Platinum or Diamond user is doing it because they believe in what you are doing and the value you provide to the community. I also believe it would be more personal and would harvest more equity for your endeavor to send a personal note (card by mail/not email) to your donor base (those above the basic level) asking them for help/support/donations, in lieu of or tandem to posting a blog. Many of us are traveling 8-9 months out of the year and are not always on the site. People that donate above the basic level will respond and take care of you. Trust me, they will feel that they have a personal connection to what you are doing and want to see you and our athletes succeed.

Finally, I love your site and the work you are doing, but I will find it very difficult to continue to support this site if you decide to follow-through with your threat not to cover the State Championship.

Regards,

Manny
@RiVidium
02/19/2013 10:43:25 PM
User
I know little about the sport other than what I learn from my son and from logging on to your site. I am grateful for this window into my son's world. Your reporting is concise and interesting. Thank you. Rob Stoney
I know little about the sport other than what I learn from my son and from logging on to your site. I am grateful for this window into my son's world. Your reporting is concise and interesting. Thank you. Rob Stoney

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.