Best hurdle coach for summer?
04/02/2015 11:54:08 AM
User
Hello, I have a daughter that is a hurdler but needs some help to take her skills to the next level. We are moving to Virginia from Indiana and need to know which area to locate to. Based on rankings it's hard to tell which coach is the best. HELP!
Hello, I have a daughter that is a hurdler but needs some help to take her skills to the next level. We are moving to Virginia from Indiana and need to know which area to locate to. Based on rankings it's hard to tell which coach is the best. HELP!
04/02/2015 4:41:09 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
What area of Virginia are you moving to?
What area of Virginia are you moving to?
04/02/2015 6:43:08 PM
User
Interesting....If I were moving here, I would probably like to know where my child would get the best education, not who has the "best" hurdle coach. You probably did not do much looking around on this site...if you did you would have seen that Western Branch is probably the school that has some of the best sprint/hurdle talent in the state. Does that make their coach great, no...if means they get good athletes and their coach knows how to get them to the status of being state champs. There are a lot of coaches out there who have very good teams and athletes, but are football coaches who are just collecting a check. Please, for your child's future, focus on their education....
Interesting....If I were moving here, I would probably like to know where my child would get the best education, not who has the "best" hurdle coach. You probably did not do much looking around on this site...if you did you would have seen that Western Branch is probably the school that has some of the best sprint/hurdle talent in the state. Does that make their coach great, no...if means they get good athletes and their coach knows how to get them to the status of being state champs. There are a lot of coaches out there who have very good teams and athletes, but are football coaches who are just collecting a check.

Please, for your child's future, focus on their education....
04/02/2015 11:12:24 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Even if your child is a future D1 track runner, they are student-athletes. School should be the first priority in my personal opinion.
Even if your child is a future D1 track runner, they are student-athletes. School should be the first priority in my personal opinion.
04/03/2015 9:34:33 AM
User
Thank You, she is a good student so I have no worries there.
Thank You, she is a good student so I have no worries there.
04/03/2015 1:28:46 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@frankrizzo hey thanks for the mention of our hurdler program. But we have a great academic program also and sorry our coaches don't just coach for a check either. We coach to get our students/athletes in to school. And yes we do win state and national championships along the way. Poor at this years national team members 2 are going to University of South Carolina and 1to University of Maryland. Plus fyi the other one we had from last year is now a freshman at University of Houston. And none of our coaches coach football either sorry.
@frankrizzo hey thanks for the mention of our hurdler program. But we have a great academic program also and sorry our coaches don't just coach for a check either. We coach to get our students/athletes in to school. And yes we do win state and national championships along the way. Poor at this years national team members 2 are going to University of South Carolina and 1to University of Maryland. Plus fyi the other one we had from last year is now a freshman at University of Houston. And none of our coaches coach football either sorry.
04/03/2015 1:33:32 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@PV1958 sorry for typo that should have been (plus) not poor. Lol
@PV1958 sorry for typo that should have been (plus) not poor. Lol
04/03/2015 7:24:12 PM
User
@frank.....Academically, Western Branch is the 3rd ranked school in the Tidewater area, Grassfield number one and Hickory is number two. The mark of greatness is consistency, Michael Jordan is great because he was consistent. Hurdlering is a skill that has to be learned, no school has produced more All State hurdlers than WB in VA track history. No other school has won more National titles in Shuttle Hurdler Relays in the last ten years and that is a fact!! WB Hurdler coach just got voted for the Coach of the Year 2015, Jeffery Artis which is very rare for an Asst Coach. He was a state champion in the hurdles, NCAA All American in the long jump. The best coach in Virginia is not a good coach then the rest of the coaches must be terrible. WB has been ranked #1 in the Nation for eight consecutive years as an overall program, without a rubber track and they have the National Coach of Year!!!! They are number one in the nation without basic infrastructure. They don't even have twenty hurdles, jumping pit, high jump mat or pole vault area to practice, feel free to check it out. With all of that said.......WBHS is still cranking out #1 atheletes just think what they would do if they had the top notch facilities. The coaches teach them science of the sport and that is why they excel and they are ahead of the rest of the state because of that, they also teach them how to use what they have to make them better not worry about what they don't have.
@frank.....Academically, Western Branch is the 3rd ranked school in the Tidewater area, Grassfield number one and Hickory is number two.

The mark of greatness is consistency, Michael Jordan is great because he was consistent. Hurdlering is a skill that has to be learned, no school has produced more All State hurdlers than WB in VA track history. No other school has won more National titles in Shuttle Hurdler Relays in the last ten years and that is a fact!! WB Hurdler coach just got voted for the Coach of the Year 2015, Jeffery Artis which is very rare for an Asst Coach. He was a state champion in the hurdles, NCAA All American in the long jump. The best coach in Virginia is not a good coach then the rest of the coaches must be terrible. WB has been ranked #1 in the Nation for eight consecutive years as an overall program, without a rubber track and they have the National Coach of Year!!!! They are number one in the nation without basic infrastructure. They don't even have twenty hurdles, jumping pit, high jump mat or pole vault area to practice, feel free to check it out. With all of that said.......WBHS is still cranking out #1 atheletes just think what they would do if they had the top notch facilities. The coaches teach them science of the sport and that is why they excel and they are ahead of the rest of the state because of that, they also teach them how to use what they have to make them better not worry about what they don't have.
04/04/2015 10:12:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@runlikecrazy2015 tell me something. Just curious, where does Great Bridge rank academically? I believe top 3 in area. They also have a very good hurdler in Coach Devel Wilson.
@runlikecrazy2015 tell me something. Just curious, where does Great Bridge rank academically? I believe top 3 in area. They also have a very good hurdler in Coach Devel Wilson.
04/04/2015 10:35:16 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Sclark65 I'll repeat again....which part of the state are you moving to? If you're down in the beach area, certainly I would probably look at Western Branch. If you're in the Northern Region, closer to DC....there are several programs with consistently strong hurdle programs. I would imagine that moving to a completely new state might involve more than just the best hurdle coach. I'm not interested in comparing school systems, but the school systems in Fairfax and Loudoun counties are excellent, and often measured amongst the best programs in the country. You'll also find a handful of strong programs that more than hold their own. My point isn't to compare Western Branch with the rat of the state, per se...they're very good my any measure...but it's easier to compare schools within a district or region of the state, than just saying go to School X, without knowing the other factors related to geography. I hope this makes sense.
@Sclark65

I'll repeat again....which part of the state are you moving to? If you're down in the beach area, certainly I would probably look at Western Branch. If you're in the Northern Region, closer to DC....there are several programs with consistently strong hurdle programs. I would imagine that moving to a completely new state might involve more than just the best hurdle coach. I'm not interested in comparing school systems, but the school systems in Fairfax and Loudoun counties are excellent, and often measured amongst the best programs in the country. You'll also find a handful of strong programs that more than hold their own.

My point isn't to compare Western Branch with the rat of the state, per se...they're very good my any measure...but it's easier to compare schools within a district or region of the state, than just saying go to School X, without knowing the other factors related to geography. I hope this makes sense.
04/05/2015 2:30:19 AM
User
@ledgers Great bridge is not in the top 3 but is rank in the top 10.Wilson is a great coach and he is doing a great job .There are so many good hurdling program in the Tidewater area, Bethel, Hampton, Nansemond ,Landstown, Grassfield ,Smith etc... However, Artis record is unprecedented: Two national records,4 national titles, it is hard enough to put two athletes in the podium at national, he has coached two shuttle hurdle relay teams in the same podium 3 different time at the national meet .No other coach has done it VA before. That is why he is the 2015 VA Milestat coach of the year. He had big shoes to feel replacing The Great HURDLE coach Kareem Pierre, nonetheless,he has taken WB To a higher level in only 2 years coaching.
@ledgers
Great bridge is not in the top 3 but is rank in the top 10.Wilson is a great coach and he is doing a great job .There are so many good hurdling program in the Tidewater area, Bethel, Hampton, Nansemond ,Landstown, Grassfield ,Smith etc... However, Artis record is unprecedented: Two national records,4 national titles, it is hard enough to put two athletes in the podium at national, he has coached two shuttle hurdle relay teams in the same podium 3 different time at the national meet .No other coach has done it VA before. That is why he is the 2015 VA Milestat coach of the year. He had big shoes to feel replacing The Great HURDLE coach Kareem Pierre, nonetheless,he has taken WB To a higher level in only 2 years coaching.
04/05/2015 1:53:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Shakia show me some data please. Academically in the Tidewater Area. Thanks.
@Shakia show me some data please. Academically in the Tidewater Area. Thanks.
04/05/2015 3:59:38 PM
User
@ ledgers Happy Easter .I don't owe any information nor need to prove anything to you .You need to make some research for enhancement.I gave you 4 schools already let me give you three more In the top 10 Menchville ,Kellam ,Ocean lake .Please go look for the rest ,show some effort and then I will help you.
@ ledgers
Happy Easter .I don't owe any information nor need to prove anything to you .You need to make some research for enhancement.I gave you 4 schools already let me give you three more In the top 10 Menchville ,Kellam ,Ocean lake .Please go look for the rest ,show some effort and then I will help you.
04/06/2015 6:58:20 AM
User
To answer the question Western Branch has the best hurdle program . lets face reality there are student-athletes who are using their God giving ability to get into certain schools. @frankizzo There are too many coaches who uses the same lame excuses (I don't have the talent). Great coaches develop athletes by improving their athletes bio-motors skills and teach their athletes the science of the sport. This require a good understanding Exercise physiology ,biomecanics, physics, kinesiology, psychology etc...This is what separate Western coaching staff from the rest Great coaching requires good understanding of periodization, that is why Western Branch run faster when it count. When you go to a track meet next time observe how focus western branch athletes are compare to their opponents.
To answer the question Western Branch has the best hurdle program .
lets face reality there are student-athletes who are using their God giving ability to get into certain schools.
@frankizzo
There are too many coaches who uses the same lame excuses (I don't have the talent). Great coaches develop athletes by improving their athletes bio-motors skills and teach their athletes the science of the sport. This require a good understanding Exercise physiology ,biomecanics, physics, kinesiology, psychology etc...This is what separate Western coaching staff from the rest
Great coaching requires good understanding of periodization, that is why Western Branch run faster when it count. When you go to a track meet next time observe how focus western branch athletes are compare to their opponents.
04/06/2015 9:34:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
You need to look at the school with the best academics for your child first. I would not chose Western Branch because of a hurdle coach. You can find a hurdle coach. Grassfield has produced two of the state best hurdlers of all times and the number two U. S. hurdler of all times. Those two guys were coached by a young man who has a track program called Track 757. He now helps coach hurdlers at Grassfield and Oscar Smith. Over the last six years no one has dominated Virginia High school boys hurdles like Trey and Grant Holloway. It's good to get a group on the podium at Nationals, but when was the last time you seen an individual from Western Branch up there. Even better when was the last time someone who graduated from Western Branch and got a track scholarship was named a NCAA ALL-American in Track and Field. Grassfield graduate Trey Holloway has done it twice with Hampton University. So the Hampton Roads area produces hurdlers not just Western Branch. If your daughter really wants to learn hurdles and not forced to do them, there are coaches in the Hampton Roads area that can teach her.
You need to look at the school with the best academics for your child first. I would not chose Western Branch because of a hurdle coach. You can find a hurdle coach. Grassfield has produced two of the state best hurdlers of all times and the number two U. S. hurdler of all times. Those two guys were coached by a young man who has a track program called Track 757. He now helps coach hurdlers at Grassfield and Oscar Smith. Over the last six years no one has dominated Virginia High school boys hurdles like Trey and Grant Holloway. It's good to get a group on the podium at Nationals, but when was the last time you seen an individual from Western Branch up there. Even better when was the last time someone who graduated from Western Branch and got a track scholarship was named a NCAA ALL-American in Track and Field. Grassfield graduate Trey Holloway has done it twice with Hampton University. So the Hampton Roads area produces hurdlers not just Western Branch. If your daughter really wants to learn hurdles and not forced to do them, there are coaches in the Hampton Roads area that can teach her.
04/06/2015 11:03:07 AM
User
@coachDSM We will be moving into the Tidewater area, I am a Doctor and will be working in a local hospital. I did some researching around on this site and like what I'm seeing. Western Branch and Hampton High have a history of great hurdlers.
@coachDSM We will be moving into the Tidewater area, I am a Doctor and will be working in a local hospital. I did some researching around on this site and like what I'm seeing. Western Branch and Hampton High have a history of great hurdlers.
04/06/2015 11:07:43 AM
Coach
I certainly do not have a dog in this fight BUT Best hurdler Coach in the State---Lamont Bowles at Henrico--hands down Ask anyone in Central VA
I certainly do not have a dog in this fight

BUT

Best hurdler Coach in the State---Lamont Bowles at Henrico--hands down

Ask anyone in Central VA
04/06/2015 11:16:35 AM
User
@Tlarsiny Thank you but does he coach at both schools? It would be nice for the coach to be a member of the coaching staff where we choose. Boys and Girls are coached different in the hurdles so I'm not sure if a coach with success with only Boys would be a smart move. I'll look into it.
@Tlarsiny Thank you but does he coach at both schools? It would be nice for the coach to be a member of the coaching staff where we choose. Boys and Girls are coached different in the hurdles so I'm not sure if a coach with success with only Boys would be a smart move. I'll look into it.
04/06/2015 11:20:50 AM
User
@runmugrun any state champions?
@runmugrun any state champions?
04/06/2015 11:26:06 AM
User
@Tla I read your post several time I don't see any relevance with some the examples your are bringing such as having ALL American in college or track 757 with kids attending several different high schools .Grant Holloway is monster in everything he does ,football ,hj, lj ,sprint, hurdles .You don't have enough to compare to Western Branch is that why you combine Smith and Grassfield? but guess what Western Branch hurdlers have accomplished more fact. 2015 NEW BALANCE Indoor National ;girls shuttle relay ATEAM 1ST place new national record ,boys 2nd place ,girls b team 6th place. If you want to compare what Grassfield and Smith did at the same competion use simple arithmetic Best hurdle coach for the summer that was the question. JEFF ARTIS that is the answer before him the best was his coach Karriem Pierre who no longer coach at High school level.
@Tla
I read your post several time I don't see any relevance with some the examples your are bringing such as having ALL American in college or track 757 with kids attending several different high schools .Grant Holloway is monster in everything he does ,football ,hj, lj ,sprint, hurdles .You don't have enough to compare to Western Branch is that why you combine Smith and Grassfield? but guess what Western Branch hurdlers have accomplished more fact. 2015 NEW BALANCE Indoor National ;girls shuttle relay ATEAM 1ST place new national record ,boys 2nd place ,girls b team 6th place.

If you want to compare what Grassfield and Smith did at the same competion use simple arithmetic

Best hurdle coach for the summer that was the question. JEFF ARTIS that is the answer before him the best was his coach Karriem Pierre who no longer coach at High school level.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.