Article Comment: The Return of Official's Corner: Grant Fisher's Mile DQ or Not?
04/08/2015 6:29:55 PM
User
I do not think he gained an advantage. However I do feel that he chose to run on the inside of lane 1 as opposed anywhere else on the track as he was clear of all other competitors. I feel his intent was to run the shortest distance possible. The result was he ran off of the track. DQ.
I do not think he gained an advantage. However I do feel that he chose to run on the inside of lane 1 as opposed anywhere else on the track as he was clear of all other competitors. I feel his intent was to run the shortest distance possible. The result was he ran off of the track. DQ.
04/08/2015 7:17:21 PM
User
Advantage is irrelevant in this case since the meet was run under USATF rules. Under their rules, one step on or inside the line is grounds for DQ if called by the judge. For some reason, the judge didn't call it. Not sure why it wasn't revisited when an opposing coach protested.
Advantage is irrelevant in this case since the meet was run under USATF rules. Under their rules, one step on or inside the line is grounds for DQ if called by the judge. For some reason, the judge didn't call it. Not sure why it wasn't revisited when an opposing coach protested.
04/08/2015 7:23:31 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
A great question would be to ask another coach, would you argue and file a complaint?
A great question would be to ask another coach, would you argue and file a complaint?
04/08/2015 8:19:48 PM
User
I believe a protest was filed by an opposing coach. It was not even considered by the officials, however.
I believe a protest was filed by an opposing coach. It was not even considered by the officials, however.
04/08/2015 9:36:03 PM
User
The officials must have been very lenient with how they followed the rules. I can't think of any other case where an incident like this has gone down without the runner being disqualified.
The officials must have been very lenient with how they followed the rules. I can't think of any other case where an incident like this has gone down without the runner being disqualified.
04/08/2015 10:37:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Rules are written your opinion doesn't matter you DQ. As coaches and officials you have to set a good example for these young people you break a rule its final. Your opinions are good points and could be debated but that would be in rules change meeting at a meet you go with rules as they are written no exceptions
Rules are written your opinion doesn't matter you DQ.
As coaches and officials you have to set a good example for these young people you break a rule its final.
Your opinions are good points and could be debated but that would be in rules change meeting at a meet you go with rules as they are written no exceptions
04/09/2015 6:53:20 AM
Power User
Marc Hunter - Loudoun Valley High School - Tough question. A 'Spirit of the Law vs the Letter of the Law 'question. His intent was not to cheat, he gained no advantage on a competitor and, in fact, lost momentum. I am not sure I agree with Nolan that Grant would have broken 4:00. He did not have a lost of real estate left to make up 3.6 seconds. I was standing on the very corner were the mishap happened and told another coach that, not only will Grant break 4:00, he will crush it! The most impressive thing to me was how Grant stayed on his feet...quite an athletic move! Most would have been on the ground/and or injured. I cringe when I say this but, he probably can thank his soccer background for finishing that race!
Marc Hunter - Loudoun Valley High School - Tough question. A 'Spirit of the Law vs the Letter of the Law 'question. His intent was not to cheat, he gained no advantage on a competitor and, in fact, lost momentum. I am not sure I agree with Nolan that Grant would have broken 4:00. He did not have a lost of real estate left to make up 3.6 seconds. I was standing on the very corner were the mishap happened and told another coach that, not only will Grant break 4:00, he will crush it! The most impressive thing to me was how Grant stayed on his feet...quite an athletic move! Most would have been on the ground/and or injured. I cringe when I say this but, he probably can thank his soccer background for finishing that race!
04/09/2015 11:21:56 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I agree with you Marc on that front! I still do not know how he did not fall or hit one of those bags or the camera jig that was there... both lucky and unlucky at the same time. If you watch him he was definitely getting stronger as the final 400 went on and you were there so you saw the crowd pulling him through it and he negative split from 1400 to 1500 dropping a second off which meant he was right at 4:00 pace if he had continued at the same speed of 14 seconds per 100m. Crazy none the less and outdoors say bye bye to 4:00 for him!
I agree with you Marc on that front! I still do not know how he did not fall or hit one of those bags or the camera jig that was there... both lucky and unlucky at the same time.

If you watch him he was definitely getting stronger as the final 400 went on and you were there so you saw the crowd pulling him through it and he negative split from 1400 to 1500 dropping a second off which meant he was right at 4:00 pace if he had continued at the same speed of 14 seconds per 100m. Crazy none the less and outdoors say bye bye to 4:00 for him!
04/10/2015 8:24:03 AM
User
Great race by Grant. 4:00 should not have been a consideration by anyone officiating that race. As soon as he took 5 steps on the inside of the track he should been DQ'd. Just ask Tyler from Union Catholic that took 1 early step on his 400 break in, was in 5th place at that point and finished the race in first. It should also not be debated which rule to enforce. If there is a gray area under 163-5 or 6 and a more clearly stated ruling under another rule in the rule book, and both rules were applicable, the more clearly stated rule should have been enforced. He broke a rule, it should have resulted in a DQ. The greatness of a performance should not be considered when determining a rule infraction. I understand these are kids and he would have won the race and will crush 4 mins in outdoor. But rules are rules for a reason.
Great race by Grant. 4:00 should not have been a consideration by anyone officiating that race. As soon as he took 5 steps on the inside of the track he should been DQ'd. Just ask Tyler from Union Catholic that took 1 early step on his 400 break in, was in 5th place at that point and finished the race in first. It should also not be debated which rule to enforce. If there is a gray area under 163-5 or 6 and a more clearly stated ruling under another rule in the rule book, and both rules were applicable, the more clearly stated rule should have been enforced. He broke a rule, it should have resulted in a DQ. The greatness of a performance should not be considered when determining a rule infraction. I understand these are kids and he would have won the race and will crush 4 mins in outdoor. But rules are rules for a reason.
04/10/2015 7:46:32 PM
User
@eastendflyers I actually agree with you guys on the fact that Fisher should have been DQed at the National meet. I think by his reaction and comments after the race, he understands that he made a mistake, that could have been very bad. Just imagine if he twisted an ankle or knee..... Being a Michigan person, it will be a fun spring watching this young man race. Too bad, because of rules, he will not be able to race against Mr. Hunter.
@eastendflyers I actually agree with you guys on the fact that Fisher should have been DQed at the National meet.

I think by his reaction and comments after the race, he understands that he made a mistake, that could have been very bad. Just imagine if he twisted an ankle or knee.....

Being a Michigan person, it will be a fun spring watching this young man race. Too bad, because of rules, he will not be able to race against Mr. Hunter.
04/14/2015 3:12:53 PM
User
Everyone has given solid evidence to support the disqualification of Grant Fisher. Had he gotten disqualified, my brother would have been on the podium at Nationals, so I could completely understand why people think that he should have gotten disqualified. However, we all know who won the race. It would be against the spirit of competition to disqualify a kid giving all he had because he lost his footing giving one last charge to break 4:00. I support the decision to not disqualify him.
Everyone has given solid evidence to support the disqualification of Grant Fisher. Had he gotten disqualified, my brother would have been on the podium at Nationals, so I could completely understand why people think that he should have gotten disqualified.

However, we all know who won the race. It would be against the spirit of competition to disqualify a kid giving all he had because he lost his footing giving one last charge to break 4:00. I support the decision to not disqualify him.
04/14/2015 3:54:54 PM
User
I would also like to point out that I would support not disqualifying him whether it was a sub 4 minute mile or a 4:30 mile since my view on this doesn't have anything to do with how "historic" his race may have been.
I would also like to point out that I would support not disqualifying him whether it was a sub 4 minute mile or a 4:30 mile since my view on this doesn't have anything to do with how "historic" his race may have been.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.