VHSL Realignment 2017-2019
12/30/2015 6:54:43 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Check it out. http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-19-initial-proposed-24-region-alignment-plan.pdf
Check it out.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-19-initial-proposed-24-region-alignment-plan.pdf
12/30/2015 7:21:11 PM
Coach
My athletic director sent me this information earlier this week, and it's similar to what was posted several months ago, so I've had some time to think about this. My major concern is with T&F and the "team" aspect of the sport. I worry that if we lose our conferences and go to an "all-in" regional format, we begin to really stress that a team is simply strong individuals. As I understand it, qualifying for the region will be based solely on standards being met throughout the season. I don't think the spirit of the "team" aspect of T&F will exist if the only way for a member of the team to compete in the post season is via their own individual performances. Yes, this is how regionals have always been, but they fell AFTER the district/conference meets in which teams could field multiple kids in every event automatically, giving the team full representation in every event. I propose that the qualification process to region be shifted from standard based to a combination of automatic entries and standard based. Each team could be given 1 per event plus additional athletes who have also hit the standard. Given the sizes of the regions (~12-14 schools), this still makes the meet very manageable in size- probably smaller than our current regions. In other team sports, each team gets represented in this "all-in" format, even if you have an awful midfielder in soccer or your left fielder can't catch in softball. They are still there with their team, at least for one round. I feel that the same can exist in this format for T&F, but not with a standards only qualification system.
My athletic director sent me this information earlier this week, and it's similar to what was posted several months ago, so I've had some time to think about this.

My major concern is with T&F and the "team" aspect of the sport. I worry that if we lose our conferences and go to an "all-in" regional format, we begin to really stress that a team is simply strong individuals. As I understand it, qualifying for the region will be based solely on standards being met throughout the season.

I don't think the spirit of the "team" aspect of T&F will exist if the only way for a member of the team to compete in the post season is via their own individual performances. Yes, this is how regionals have always been, but they fell AFTER the district/conference meets in which teams could field multiple kids in every event automatically, giving the team full representation in every event.

I propose that the qualification process to region be shifted from standard based to a combination of automatic entries and standard based. Each team could be given 1 per event plus additional athletes who have also hit the standard. Given the sizes of the regions (~12-14 schools), this still makes the meet very manageable in size- probably smaller than our current regions.

In other team sports, each team gets represented in this "all-in" format, even if you have an awful midfielder in soccer or your left fielder can't catch in softball. They are still there with their team, at least for one round. I feel that the same can exist in this format for T&F, but not with a standards only qualification system.
12/31/2015 5:45:06 PM
Coach
I agree. Actually beating people won't matter any more. Some of the most exciting races of the year are watching kids try to make that top six to advance to the next level. Track is about racing at some level, isn't it? Otherwise, let's just video tape everyone running around their home track and we can just all tweet our kids' time. Fastest time on Twitter is state champ.
I agree. Actually beating people won't matter any more. Some of the most exciting races of the year are watching kids try to make that top six to advance to the next level.

Track is about racing at some level, isn't it? Otherwise, let's just video tape everyone running around their home track and we can just all tweet our kids' time. Fastest time on Twitter is state champ.
01/02/2016 10:18:57 AM
Coach
The VHSL was ahead of us this time. I was informed that the current plan will be to have a 2 per event entry process for regionals. I have not heard about additional entries on standards, but I'd hope that's the case.
The VHSL was ahead of us this time. I was informed that the current plan will be to have a 2 per event entry process for regionals. I have not heard about additional entries on standards, but I'd hope that's the case.
01/04/2016 5:51:00 PM
Coach
@kshirk I talked to my AD about this also, he said there was talk of sub-regionals where you could get in by finishing in a certain position, and also of giving every team "x" number of entries. Regardless, he said there was no way it would be set up that the first post season meet would only allow qualifying times.
@kshirk

I talked to my AD about this also, he said there was talk of sub-regionals where you could get in by finishing in a certain position, and also of giving every team "x" number of entries. Regardless, he said there was no way it would be set up that the first post season meet would only allow qualifying times.
01/29/2016 8:48:35 AM
Coach
Under the impression that nothing really has been decided on qualification procedures.
Under the impression that nothing really has been decided on qualification procedures.
01/31/2016 7:37:38 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would like to see a system put in place similar to cross country. Make the team important an individual shouldn't be able to win a team title. Example Require schools to field 3/4 of events to be recognized as a team top six teams from each region advance to state meet plus individuals placing in top 6 and auto qualifiers you only score if on a team but still can win individual title. This system would make track a team sport what exist now doesn't promote team atmosphere..
I would like to see a system put in place similar to cross country.
Make the team important an individual shouldn't be able to win a team title.

Example
Require schools to field 3/4 of events to be recognized as a team top six teams from each region advance to state meet plus individuals placing in top 6 and auto qualifiers you only score if on a team but still can win individual title.

This system would make track a team sport what exist now doesn't promote team atmosphere..
01/31/2016 9:38:39 AM
Coach
@knnmcdaniel I do agree with you in a lot of ways. Track feels the least "teamy" of any of the state titles, but, I doubt they'll ever do that, since we've determined team titles on all levels pretty much the way we do it now ever since the inception of team titles. I have always felt that a series of dual meets would be interesting with the schools advancing their whole team, but obviously that's pretty impractical. I would still say that 99 times out of a 100, though, a team with one kid who can score in 6 events in the state meet and currently win the title single handedly would probably be able to win a dual meet with just about anyone. It would be nice though, to know that it wasn't just superstars contributing to your teams' success, but, just like in other sports, a great number of athletes were contributing to earning that state title.
@knnmcdaniel
I do agree with you in a lot of ways. Track feels the least "teamy" of any of the state titles, but, I doubt they'll ever do that, since we've determined team titles on all levels pretty much the way we do it now ever since the inception of team titles.

I have always felt that a series of dual meets would be interesting with the schools advancing their whole team, but obviously that's pretty impractical. I would still say that 99 times out of a 100, though, a team with one kid who can score in 6 events in the state meet and currently win the title single handedly would probably be able to win a dual meet with just about anyone. It would be nice though, to know that it wasn't just superstars contributing to your teams' success, but, just like in other sports, a great number of athletes were contributing to earning that state title.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.