VHSL Group 3A/4A State Outdoor T&F Championships 2016
05/26/2016 7:50:21 PM
User
Can relay team have substitutes
Can relay team have substitutes
05/26/2016 9:20:35 PM
Coach
you can enter anyone as long as they were listed on your qualifying form that was filled out after the regional meet.
you can enter anyone as long as they were listed on your qualifying form that was filled out after the regional meet.
05/27/2016 7:57:55 AM
User
Thanks. One other question. At what point can an alternate be entered? Is there a timeframe to switch a runner out with an alternate?
Thanks. One other question. At what point can an alternate be entered? Is there a timeframe to switch a runner out with an alternate?
05/27/2016 8:22:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kfoley I'm pretty sure at the State meet they'll be using relay cards that the team hands in when they check in for their event. At that point you're locked in, but you can switch around with whoever you want up till then.
@kfoley I'm pretty sure at the State meet they'll be using relay cards that the team hands in when they check in for their event. At that point you're locked in, but you can switch around with whoever you want up till then.
05/27/2016 12:25:46 PM
Coach
@BBruns4ever Only thing to point out (in case officials haven't drilled this into your head yet) is that scratches from individual events still count toward event limits. For example, a kid who runs the 100, 4 x 100, and then decides to scratch from the 200, is done for the day. He can't be added to a relay. Interestingly, since relay names aren't final until the card, you could have originally entered in 100, 200, and listed in both the 4 x 100 and 4 x 400. That's my understanding, anyway.
@BBruns4ever
Only thing to point out (in case officials haven't drilled this into your head yet) is that scratches from individual events still count toward event limits. For example, a kid who runs the 100, 4 x 100, and then decides to scratch from the 200, is done for the day. He can't be added to a relay.
Interestingly, since relay names aren't final until the card, you could have originally entered in 100, 200, and listed in both the 4 x 100 and 4 x 400. That's my understanding, anyway.
05/28/2016 9:43:32 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Last time I checked, you just need to enter names on the relay entries. Any athlete on your official roster at the state meet is allowed to compete in a relay. I know quite a few coaches hate this rule and its implications but it is a rule. In theory you could enter you 3200m runners on the relay entries and then run four others who were already in the state meet. Basically, to run on a relay you must be entered in an event at the state meet. That could be the shot put or the relay itself but you have to be entered into something. Then when you hand in your relay cards the relay is locked in. -Nolan
Last time I checked, you just need to enter names on the relay entries. Any athlete on your official roster at the state meet is allowed to compete in a relay.

I know quite a few coaches hate this rule and its implications but it is a rule.

In theory you could enter you 3200m runners on the relay entries and then run four others who were already in the state meet.

Basically, to run on a relay you must be entered in an event at the state meet. That could be the shot put or the relay itself but you have to be entered into something. Then when you hand in your relay cards the relay is locked in.

-Nolan
05/31/2016 9:14:00 AM
User
Thanks everyone. So, is the 'list' that the athletes for the relay comes from the Master list that has all the athletes from the school or is it a master list that has all the athletes only competing at the State meet? If it is a focused master list, can you have an alternate for the relay that is not running any additional events and is just an alternate for the relay? If it is a true Master List, then pretty much anyone can be put in at the last moment, if I understand correctly.
Thanks everyone. So, is the 'list' that the athletes for the relay comes from the Master list that has all the athletes from the school or is it a master list that has all the athletes only competing at the State meet? If it is a focused master list, can you have an alternate for the relay that is not running any additional events and is just an alternate for the relay? If it is a true Master List, then pretty much anyone can be put in at the last moment, if I understand correctly.
05/31/2016 9:52:43 AM
Coach
@kfoley They must be on the list you turned in after the regional meet in order to compete.....For instance, I had 6 kids qualify in individual events...They were on my list. My 4x1 and 4x8 also qualified. Anyone that I think has a chance to run on those teams must have also been on my post-regionals list.
@kfoley They must be on the list you turned in after the regional meet in order to compete.....For instance, I had 6 kids qualify in individual events...They were on my list. My 4x1 and 4x8 also qualified. Anyone that I think has a chance to run on those teams must have also been on my post-regionals list.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.