State meet locations
06/01/2016 10:05:43 PM
Coach
I preface my question by saying that Harrisonburg high school Does a good job running the 3a/4a state meet... That being said, what gives? 1a/2a is at a nice college facility- radford. 5a/6a is at Todd stadium, also a great facility. Why the heck do we take what is supposed to be the culminating moment for these kids and have it at a high school? Is it because no one else offers to host?is it a money issue? If that's the case one would think it would be a money issue for all divisions. There are plenty of amazing facilities in the state that could be used, but it seems that somewhere someone in charge is ok with 3a/4a being left behind. In reality, that is what's happening. It would be nice to go to a meet where the kids didn't have to walk up mt Everest every time they leave and come back to their tent. Again, it isn't Harrisonburg high's fault by any means. This topic has been brought up before at the coaches meeting, but has never truly been answered. So I'm curious, what gives????
I preface my question by saying that Harrisonburg high school
Does a good job running the 3a/4a state meet...
That being said, what gives? 1a/2a is at a nice college facility- radford. 5a/6a is at Todd stadium, also a great facility. Why the heck do we take what is supposed to be the culminating moment for these kids and have it at a high school?

Is it because no one else offers to host?is it a money issue? If that's the case one would think it would be a money issue for all divisions.

There are plenty of amazing facilities in the state that could be used, but it seems that somewhere someone in charge is ok with 3a/4a being left behind. In reality, that is what's happening. It would be nice to go to a meet where the kids didn't have to walk up mt Everest every time they leave and come back to their tent. Again, it isn't Harrisonburg high's fault by any means.

This topic has been brought up before at the coaches meeting, but has never truly been answered. So I'm curious, what gives????
06/02/2016 8:48:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@PrideXC My understanding is that many colleges/universities aren't too interested in hosting the state meet.
@PrideXC My understanding is that many colleges/universities aren't too interested in hosting the state meet.
06/02/2016 12:39:38 PM
Coach
I believe that some locations are changing next year, with the 3A/4A meet being at Sports Backers Stadium in Richmond. That will be a fantastic improvement over being at a high school facility. I agree that Harrisonburg does an excellent job running the meet, but the experience of a state meet is diminished by having it feel like every other invitational throughout the season, run at a plain old high school facility.
I believe that some locations are changing next year, with the 3A/4A meet being at Sports Backers Stadium in Richmond. That will be a fantastic improvement over being at a high school facility. I agree that Harrisonburg does an excellent job running the meet, but the experience of a state meet is diminished by having it feel like every other invitational throughout the season, run at a plain old high school facility.
06/02/2016 9:06:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
kshirk is correct about next year. 1A/2A are leaving Radford and they are coming to Harrisonburg High School next year while 3A/4A head to Sports Backer in Richmond and 5A/6A also move somewhere of which I can't remember. Wrestling also all move and pretty much all sports are going to new locations next year for states.
kshirk is correct about next year. 1A/2A are leaving Radford and they are coming to Harrisonburg High School next year while 3A/4A head to Sports Backer in Richmond and 5A/6A also move somewhere of which I can't remember. Wrestling also all move and pretty much all sports are going to new locations next year for states.
06/04/2016 10:41:34 PM
Power User
@kshirk Sportsbackers is not as good as it seems. Can't do pole vault, high jump, and running events at the same time. can only pick 2 of the three. 90% of the time there is a head wind unless they are willing to turn it around.
@kshirk Sportsbackers is not as good as it seems. Can't do pole vault, high jump, and running events at the same time. can only pick 2 of the three. 90% of the time there is a head wind unless they are willing to turn it around.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.