VHSL Group 3A/4A State Outdoor T&F Championships 2016
06/04/2016 5:33:59 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This is complete BS that they have cancelled this race instead of postponing it!! I have a Senior who was about to win a state title with her teammates. She didn't even get to run in her last high school individual performance! I am livid and I call for a protest!!! These kids have worked too hard all year just cancel their state championship and act like it never even happened!
This is complete BS that they have cancelled this race instead of postponing it!! I have a Senior who was about to win a state title with her teammates. She didn't even get to run in her last high school individual performance! I am livid and I call for a protest!!! These kids have worked too hard all year just cancel their state championship and act like it never even happened!
06/04/2016 5:47:01 PM
Coach
@decarmo6 unfortunately coaches got zero say in this. As we sit on the bus pulling out the weather is clearing and there is a 2 hour window of0-20% chance of rain. You don't cancel a championship event until the last chance of finishing the meet is gone. They cancelled at 5. It was a second rate decision to a second rate meet. I'm livid as we drive off and I had no dog in the team race at all- and only had one runner left. If it was about the kids truly as the coaches were told, you would exhaust all options before canceling.
@decarmo6 unfortunately coaches got zero say in this. As we sit on the bus pulling out the weather is clearing and there is a 2 hour window of0-20% chance of rain. You don't cancel a championship event until the last chance of finishing the meet is gone. They cancelled at 5. It was a second rate decision to a second rate meet. I'm livid as we drive off and I had no dog in the team race at all- and only had one runner left. If it was about the kids truly as the coaches were told, you would exhaust all options before canceling.
06/04/2016 8:46:16 PM
User
My son qualified to run in the 800. He worked his tail off to get here! How dare you cancel the meet when the skies are clearing as everyone drives away??? Would this happen with a State Football Championship? No it would be delayed or postponed to another day. Total BS!!!
My son qualified to run in the 800. He worked his tail off to get here! How dare you cancel the meet when the skies are clearing as everyone drives away??? Would this happen with a State Football Championship? No it would be delayed or postponed to another day. Total BS!!!
06/04/2016 8:54:19 PM
User
At 4pm on Friday, at the coaches meeting, coaches were told that it looked like weather might be coming in on both Friday night and Saturday afternoon. It was not like it was going to be a surprise. So what did they do to help the situation- nothing! In fact, I think it could be argued that they made the situation considerably worse by making multiple sections of the 3200 when there could have been one, taking breaks when not needed, taking extra time between events, etc. The whole meet could have been bumped an hour earlier and started at 8am. Nope. They did absolutely nothing except stick with the same old schedule. They made their decision and were so unwilling to change it that they wouldn't listen to valid arguments. A lot of valid arguments. I'm still curious, VHSL, which other sports would go ahead and cancel in the middle of the championship game and not reschedule? Never heard an answer to that. Try canceling and never rescheduling the championship football game after three quarters. Of course, how could they reschedule with a couple of the schools "still giving SOL tests" (why reschedule and affect a few, when you can cancel and affect everyone). How could they reschedule anyway- they "wouldn't have enough officials" for those THREE RUNNING EVENTS (and the high jump?).
At 4pm on Friday, at the coaches meeting, coaches were told that it looked like weather might be coming in on both Friday night and Saturday afternoon. It was not like it was going to be a surprise. So what did they do to help the situation- nothing!

In fact, I think it could be argued that they made the situation considerably worse by making multiple sections of the 3200 when there could have been one, taking breaks when not needed, taking extra time between events, etc. The whole meet could have been bumped an hour earlier and started at 8am. Nope. They did absolutely nothing except stick with the same old schedule.

They made their decision and were so unwilling to change it that they wouldn't listen to valid arguments. A lot of valid arguments. I'm still curious, VHSL, which other sports would go ahead and cancel in the middle of the championship game and not reschedule? Never heard an answer to that. Try canceling and never rescheduling the championship football game after three quarters.

Of course, how could they reschedule with a couple of the schools "still giving SOL tests" (why reschedule and affect a few, when you can cancel and affect everyone). How could they reschedule anyway- they "wouldn't have enough officials" for those THREE RUNNING EVENTS (and the high jump?).
06/04/2016 10:25:14 PM
User
@klov what about the results of the 3200?
@klov what about the results of the 3200?
06/05/2016 3:14:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@klov @pridexc The 3200 could have been one section each but it didn't effect the time schedule, but starting with the 100 hurdles at 11:00 the meet went slowly and wasn't efficient. Way to much time between heats, I overheard another coach mention, times were 3 minutes or more between races. Another coach was told that the meet director had a rule that 16 was as many as he would run in a heat, so that's why the 1600 and 800 had no consistency to the heats. They also said that they couldn't reseed events, so we had heats of 3-6-5 in the 400, and numerous other heats that went off with empty lanes. You add those all together and you get 20 minutes behind the posted schedule and we all now know the result. With a move to a new venue next year, I hope the VHSL will review this situation and determine if a change is needed with the timing company and with meet management itself. Dogwood, Southern Track and numerous other large invitationals are larger meets and are still run with much better consistency and efficiency. I know that I am now looking forward to Dan Wards meeting at Louisa on June 12th, I'm sure that this topic will come up at the meeting along with several other items.
@klov @pridexc
The 3200 could have been one section each but it didn't effect the time schedule, but starting with the 100 hurdles at 11:00 the meet went slowly and wasn't efficient. Way to much time between heats, I overheard another coach mention, times were 3 minutes or more between races. Another coach was told that the meet director had a rule that 16 was as many as he would run in a heat, so that's why the 1600 and 800 had no consistency to the heats. They also said that they couldn't reseed events, so we had heats of 3-6-5 in the 400, and numerous other heats that went off with empty lanes. You add those all together and you get 20 minutes behind the posted schedule and we all now know the result.
With a move to a new venue next year, I hope the VHSL will review this situation and determine if a change is needed with the timing company and with meet management itself. Dogwood, Southern Track and numerous other large invitationals are larger meets and are still run with much better consistency and efficiency. I know that I am now looking forward to Dan Wards meeting at Louisa on June 12th, I'm sure that this topic will come up at the meeting along with several other items.
06/05/2016 8:25:30 PM
Coach
I feel everyone's grief on this issue. It honestly seems lazy on the meet director / officials part. Most teams would love to finish the meet and had no problem waiting or coming back. I myself have a foreign exchange student who qualified for the 800m and was on the line to run when they shut the meet down. She worked very hard in practice and was ready to compete. This is her first year running and her experience with the sport will be forever altered by this decision. I hope they reschedule the remaining events, for the kids who worked hard all year to make it to states and the seniors that are counting on these times for scholarship.
I feel everyone's grief on this issue. It honestly seems lazy on the meet director / officials part. Most teams would love to finish the meet and had no problem waiting or coming back. I myself have a foreign exchange student who qualified for the 800m and was on the line to run when they shut the meet down. She worked very hard in practice and was ready to compete. This is her first year running and her experience with the sport will be forever altered by this decision. I hope they reschedule the remaining events, for the kids who worked hard all year to make it to states and the seniors that are counting on these times for scholarship.
06/05/2016 9:37:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This is beyond a shame and inexcusable. I still cannot wrap my mind around cancelling a STATE meet. This would not be the case with football like mentioned above. I can only hope our voices are heard. The VHSL needs to step up and make this right.
This is beyond a shame and inexcusable. I still cannot wrap my mind around cancelling a STATE meet. This would not be the case with football like mentioned above. I can only hope our voices are heard. The VHSL needs to step up and make this right.
06/06/2016 10:32:59 AM
Coach
It is now Monday morning and the VHSL has been working "around the clock" since Saturday to come up with a solution? We have not heard any official word from the VHSL so I would guess that, as usual, they just want it to go away. I am very sorry for all of the athletes that have worked so hard to get here. Many will never run competitively again! As long as we continue to make decisions based on what is most convenient for adults and not make them based upon what is best for kids we will continue to have issues like this. Yes it was inconvenient to wait a couple hours in Harrisonburg. But all the weather that I checked showed a window (approximately 5-7) that could have worked? We were also very aware on Friday that Sat. afternoon had the potential for bad weather. The meet schedule could have easily been pushed ahead an hour or two. I understand that hindsight is 20/20 but it just seems that many things could have been and could be done differently! :-(
It is now Monday morning and the VHSL has been working "around the clock" since Saturday to come up with a solution? We have not heard any official word from the VHSL so I would guess that, as usual, they just want it to go away. I am very sorry for all of the athletes that have worked so hard to get here. Many will never run competitively again! As long as we continue to make decisions based on what is most convenient for adults and not make them based upon what is best for kids we will continue to have issues like this. Yes it was inconvenient to wait a couple hours in Harrisonburg. But all the weather that I checked showed a window (approximately 5-7) that could have worked? We were also very aware on Friday that Sat. afternoon had the potential for bad weather. The meet schedule could have easily been pushed ahead an hour or two. I understand that hindsight is 20/20 but it just seems that many things could have been and could be done differently!
06/06/2016 11:54:19 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Just noticed on the VHSL website the 3A/4A meet will be completed on Wednesday June 8 beginning at 2:30pm
Just noticed on the VHSL website the 3A/4A meet will be completed on Wednesday June 8 beginning at 2:30pm
06/07/2016 11:17:25 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
And the weather forecast is perfect. Sometimes things just work out.
And the weather forecast is perfect.
Sometimes things just work out.
06/07/2016 5:39:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Works out for some but not all. Sherando will not have Whiteside in the 800 or Lane in the 200. I'm sure they will not be the only athletes that cannot return !
Works out for some but not all. Sherando will not have Whiteside in the 800 or Lane in the 200. I'm sure they will not be the only athletes that cannot return !

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.