VHSL Group 4A West Regional XC Championships 2016
10/19/2016 5:48:39 PM
Coach
Is this the same course that was used in 2014 for the regional meet ?
Is this the same course that was used in 2014 for the regional meet ?
10/19/2016 8:00:54 PM
Coach
We were told recently that the there will be a course change in that the athletes will no longer cross the pavement and do the flat loop around the buses. Instead, they will do a relatively flat (I've been told "rolling") loop just across the pavement from the old loop. Conference 21 coaches were sent a map yesterday. Based on that map, here's my own version so I could share it here: www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=584614 It's still loosely mapped, but you get the idea. The two back loops (mile one and mile 3) both go counter clockwise.
We were told recently that the there will be a course change in that the athletes will no longer cross the pavement and do the flat loop around the buses. Instead, they will do a relatively flat (I've been told "rolling") loop just across the pavement from the old loop.

Conference 21 coaches were sent a map yesterday. Based on that map, here's my own version so I could share it here:

www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=584614

It's still loosely mapped, but you get the idea. The two back loops (mile one and mile 3) both go counter clockwise.
10/19/2016 11:29:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kshirk
10/19/2016 11:31:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kshirk if they planned a change, why did they not debut it at their invite?
@kshirk if they planned a change, why did they not debut it at their invite?
10/20/2016 6:33:17 AM
Coach
The Handley folks can answer this better than I can, but my understanding is that when the race was going around the parking area, it was creating a back up of traffic on the short road to get into the course and that cars wound up backed all the way to Valley Ave/RT11. They didn't realize the issue until they held the invitational this year, which was a little bigger than most years. EDIT: Conference 21 coaches were sent a map yesterday. I changed my own map above to more closely match theirs.
The Handley folks can answer this better than I can, but my understanding is that when the race was going around the parking area, it was creating a back up of traffic on the short road to get into the course and that cars wound up backed all the way to Valley Ave/RT11. They didn't realize the issue until they held the invitational this year, which was a little bigger than most years.

EDIT: Conference 21 coaches were sent a map yesterday. I changed my own map above to more closely match theirs.
10/28/2016 8:26:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachLC After the Judges Classic we learned that traffic got been backed up all the way to Route 11. Many of the frustrated folks trying to get into the meet ended up parking in the nearby business areas. We learned of all this the next day -- the business owners were very upset since it impeded parking to their businesses. Needless to say, none of this was anticipated. As we tried to come up with a solution to this it dawned on me that the best plan was to eliminate having cars drive across the course. Once the races started the problem only got worse since the cars had to be stopped to allow the runners to pass. I also decided to move the entrance to the parking area further down the field to keep cars from backing up onto Battlefield drive and blocking the intersections. This worked MUCH more smoothly during our conference meet. Granted, there were many fewer people but they were able to come and go throughout the race. And traffic issues were basically eliminated. As an added bonus, we found that with the new loop, coaches and spectators now have an additional access point to see their runners up close. It's very easy to see them at the start, on the new loop and once again going back up through the starting area. Plus it's much more interesting for the runners. I believe and hope that all will like this change. This will likely be a permanent change going forward barring any other unforeseen problems. Thanks for your understanding.
@coachLC
After the Judges Classic we learned that traffic got been backed up all the way to Route 11. Many of the frustrated folks trying to get into the meet ended up parking in the nearby business areas. We learned of all this the next day -- the business owners were very upset since it impeded parking to their businesses. Needless to say, none of this was anticipated.

As we tried to come up with a solution to this it dawned on me that the best plan was to eliminate having cars drive across the course. Once the races started the problem only got worse since the cars had to be stopped to allow the runners to pass. I also decided to move the entrance to the parking area further down the field to keep cars from backing up onto Battlefield drive and blocking the intersections.

This worked MUCH more smoothly during our conference meet. Granted, there were many fewer people but they were able to come and go throughout the race. And traffic issues were basically eliminated.

As an added bonus, we found that with the new loop, coaches and spectators now have an additional access point to see their runners up close. It's very easy to see them at the start, on the new loop and once again going back up through the starting area. Plus it's much more interesting for the runners.

I believe and hope that all will like this change. This will likely be a permanent change going forward barring any other unforeseen problems.

Thanks for your understanding.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.