XC Course Ratings
10/22/2016 10:55:05 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Can anyone shed some light on how MileStat determines XC course ratings? The only info on the website is "The higher the number the more difficult the course statistically". What factors go into the stats? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Can anyone shed some light on how MileStat determines XC course ratings? The only info on the website is "The higher the number the more difficult the course statistically". What factors go into the stats? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
10/23/2016 11:27:27 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
And where do you actually see the ratings? I may be missing something, but all I can find is that same message just posted.
And where do you actually see the ratings? I may be missing something, but all I can find is that same message just posted.
10/25/2016 12:37:32 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I do not think you can access the course ratings directly from the menu. The way I find it is as follows. 1. From the home page, click on "Meet Results" under the Results tab in the top menu. 2. Click on any race result. 3. From the results page, click the name of the venue near the top of the page in the grey heading. The name of the venue is listed directly below the date of the venue. 4. This brings up a page with a big red title, "MileSplit Venue List". 5. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
I do not think you can access the course ratings directly from the menu. The way I find it is as follows.
1. From the home page, click on "Meet Results" under the Results tab in the top menu.
2. Click on any race result.
3. From the results page, click the name of the venue near the top of the page in the grey heading. The name of the venue is listed directly below the date of the venue.
4. This brings up a page with a big red title, "MileSplit Venue List".
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
10/25/2016 6:32:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Crytset, I had seen that before but did not realize exactly what it was. It would be great to have a page showing all course rankings across the state rather than conversion tables, though that is better than nothing.
Thanks Crytset, I had seen that before but did not realize exactly what it was. It would be great to have a page showing all course rankings across the state rather than conversion tables, though that is better than nothing.
10/26/2016 2:38:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As a Private School coach for many years I always rated the courses we ran by comparing times of my runners and other runners on consecutive weekends in similar weather conditions. From this I could tell that the Fork Union 5K course runs 24 seconds faster than the Woodberry Forest 5K course for a runner running about 20 minutes. But I realize that the difference is different for their different capabilities. So I used one basic number for everyone (for FUMA to WFS the number would be 1.02 (20:24/20:00). But to simplify things I now rate courses 1 (fastest like Milestat) thru 5 (slowest like Roslyn) with 2(Collegiate), 3 (Panorama, FUMA), and 4 (WFS)in between and separate each number by 0.025. Meaning WFS would run 1.050 longer in time than Collegiate. Someone running 20:00 at Collegiate would run (about) 21:00 (20X1.050) at Woodberry. There are so many variables (heat, mud, grass length, wind)that this is very approximate - but interesting.
As a Private School coach for many years I always rated the courses we ran by comparing times of my runners and other runners on consecutive weekends in similar weather conditions. From this I could tell that the Fork Union 5K course runs 24 seconds faster than the Woodberry Forest 5K course for a runner running about 20 minutes. But I realize that the difference is different for their different capabilities. So I used one basic number for everyone (for FUMA to WFS the number would be 1.02 (20:24/20:00). But to simplify things I now rate courses 1 (fastest like Milestat) thru 5 (slowest like Roslyn) with 2(Collegiate), 3 (Panorama, FUMA), and 4 (WFS)in between and separate each number by 0.025. Meaning WFS would run 1.050 longer in time than Collegiate. Someone running 20:00 at Collegiate would run (about) 21:00 (20X1.050) at Woodberry. There are so many variables (heat, mud, grass length, wind)that this is very approximate - but interesting.
10/26/2016 10:10:36 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
In between races at Glory Days this year, I struck up a conversation with a young lady who once ran for George Mason University. She said the hill at Fountain Head Park (GMU's former home course) was rated the 2nd toughest hill in the state. The hill at Oatlands is 3rd. Does anyone know where such a rating list resides and what is rated the toughest hill in the state?
In between races at Glory Days this year, I struck up a conversation with a young lady who once ran for George Mason University. She said the hill at Fountain Head Park (GMU's former home course) was rated the 2nd toughest hill in the state. The hill at Oatlands is 3rd.

Does anyone know where such a rating list resides and what is rated the toughest hill in the state?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.