Milestat Election
11/08/2016 3:03:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I like Donald Trump may not accept the results of the election and as he repeatedly says the election is rigged. Leaving off a school that won 14 State Championships in a 20 year span The choice of the term greatest "athlete" should have said greatest runner instead of athlete. And instead of making a state record a requirement it should be a national record. So my write in vote will go to Huntington HS and Paula Girven who were left off of the ballot
I like Donald Trump may not accept the results of the election and as he repeatedly says the election is rigged.

Leaving off a school that won 14 State Championships in a 20 year span

The choice of the term greatest "athlete" should have said greatest runner instead of athlete. And instead of making a state record a requirement it should be a national record.

So my write in vote will go to Huntington HS and Paula Girven who were left off of the ballot
11/08/2016 3:37:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The person considered the world's greatest athlete is not the winner of multiple distance races or multiple sprint races but the winner of the decathlon. On the list for greatest athletes are some of Virginia's all-time greatest runners but not the greatest athletes. Sheena Johnson, Justin Hunter, Felicia Majors should be considered as greatest athletes for setting state meet records in multiple jumping, vaulting, running events. 
The person considered the world's greatest athlete is not the winner of multiple distance races or multiple sprint races but the winner of the decathlon.

On the list for greatest athletes are some of Virginia's all-time greatest runners but not the greatest athletes.

Sheena Johnson, Justin Hunter, Felicia Majors should be considered as greatest athletes for setting state meet records in multiple jumping, vaulting, running events. 
11/08/2016 3:49:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As far as a dominating team you included in your title track and cross country. This should eliminate some on your list as they are dominant only in cross country or track. As dominant as Bethel and Western Branch have been in track they do not have multiple cross country state team championships. Only a few on your list have multiple team championships in both cross country and track.
As far as a dominating team you included in your title track and cross country.

This should eliminate some on your list as they are dominant only in cross country or track.

As dominant as Bethel and Western Branch have been in track they do not have multiple cross country state team championships.

Only a few on your list have multiple team championships in both cross country and track.
11/08/2016 4:08:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Instead of rule changes Milestat should try and get the VHSL ban on the new indoor facility at Liberty removed. We have few venues to run state indoor meets as it is. It is my understanding some school systems have jumped on the ban Liberty band wagon and are not letting their schools go to invitationals there. I understand the liability problem if because of the gun policy an incident with a firearm might happen and indeed there would be lawsuits but we just do not have enough indoor facilities available for the high school athletes to compete in.
Instead of rule changes Milestat should try and get the VHSL ban on the new indoor facility at Liberty removed. We have few venues to run state indoor meets as it is. It is my understanding some school systems have jumped on the ban Liberty band wagon and are not letting their schools go to invitationals there. I understand the liability problem if because of the gun policy an incident with a firearm might happen and indeed there would be lawsuits but we just do not have enough indoor facilities available for the high school athletes to compete in.
11/08/2016 4:52:53 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@historian I have not heard of any counties or school districts "ban" travel to LU... yet and am hoping that after this election things calm down between differing views and move forward together without craziness. I do know the VHSL has not "banned" anything but instead are just not actively going to use their facilities moving forward -Nolan
@historian I have not heard of any counties or school districts "ban" travel to LU... yet and am hoping that after this election things calm down between differing views and move forward together without craziness.

I do know the VHSL has not "banned" anything but instead are just not actively going to use their facilities moving forward

-Nolan
11/09/2016 9:24:48 AM
Coach
I found the question about 6th and 7th man tie breakers to be an interesting one. First, the 7th man is never a tie breaker- how could he be? If you're tied through 5, you can't be tied through 6. The 7th man is solely used as a displacer(if you're tied through 5, there's a chance you could still be tied through 7). The reason the 6th man is used is so that more members are used in deciding the winner. Interestingly, if neither team has a 6th man, the tie breaker is to take the team score through 4 runners, because that's the most you can use in that situation to break the tie. Head to head is an interesting idea, but I really like the thought of going to extra members of the team instead, rewarding depth.
I found the question about 6th and 7th man tie breakers to be an interesting one. First, the 7th man is never a tie breaker- how could he be? If you're tied through 5, you can't be tied through 6. The 7th man is solely used as a displacer(if you're tied through 5, there's a chance you could still be tied through 7).
The reason the 6th man is used is so that more members are used in deciding the winner. Interestingly, if neither team has a 6th man, the tie breaker is to take the team score through 4 runners, because that's the most you can use in that situation to break the tie.
Head to head is an interesting idea, but I really like the thought of going to extra members of the team instead, rewarding depth.
11/09/2016 1:30:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I completely agree with Coach Shirk. I like rewarding depth also. If you are tied through your top 5, then why compare them again. I understand how it works, but just prefer the 6th man approach.
I completely agree with Coach Shirk. I like rewarding depth also. If you are tied through your top 5, then why compare them again. I understand how it works, but just prefer the 6th man approach.
11/09/2016 1:31:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@historian I am not disagreeing with anything you said. I am seriously curious. Where was or is Huntington High School? I have been coaching for 30 years and have never heard of them.
@historian I am not disagreeing with anything you said. I am seriously curious. Where was or is Huntington High School? I have been coaching for 30 years and have never heard of them.
11/09/2016 3:16:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachLC Huntington High School was in Newport News. It dominated the VIA as Newport News High School dominated the VHSL. Before the mid 60's the VHSL was the governing body for white schools and the VIA goverened the black schools. Thad Madden was the coach for most of their championships. VIAL GROUP I STATE TEAM CHAMPIONS 1949 - 1968 1949 Huntington 66 1/2 Norcom 32 1/2 1950 Norcom 52 Huntington 48 1/2 1951 Huntington 58 Phenix 45 1/3 1952 Huntington 34 Norfolk County 24 1953 Norcom 37 Huntington 30 1954 Huntington 52 2/3 Norcom 29 1/7 1955 Huntington 48 1/3 Norcom 38 1/2 1956 Norcom 42 1/6 Huntington 41 2/3 1957 Huntington 45 Norcom 36 1/4 1958 Norcom 52 Huntington 36 1959 Norcom 38 Huntington 34 1960 Huntington 39 Maggie Walker 33 1961 Huntington 36 14/15 Maggie Walker 34 1962 Huntington 38 Carver 31 1963 Huntington 54 3/4 Carver 27 1964 Huntington 49 Armstrong 23 1965 Maggie Walker 37 Huntington 29 1966 Huntington 46 Carver 30 1967 Huntington 46 Phenix 39 1968 Huntington 41 Armstrong 29 In 1969 some of the VIA schools: Maggie Walker, Booker T. Washington, Armstrong, Huntington, and others joined the VHSL and placed in the state outdoor championships that year.
@coachLC

Huntington High School was in Newport News. It dominated the VIA as Newport News High School dominated the VHSL. Before the mid 60's the VHSL was the governing body for white schools and the VIA goverened the black schools. Thad Madden was the coach for most of their championships.

VIAL GROUP I
STATE TEAM CHAMPIONS
1949 - 1968

1949 Huntington 66 1/2
Norcom 32 1/2

1950 Norcom 52
Huntington 48 1/2

1951 Huntington 58
Phenix 45 1/3

1952 Huntington 34
Norfolk County 24

1953 Norcom 37
Huntington 30

1954 Huntington 52 2/3
Norcom 29 1/7

1955 Huntington 48 1/3
Norcom 38 1/2

1956 Norcom 42 1/6
Huntington 41 2/3

1957 Huntington 45
Norcom 36 1/4

1958 Norcom 52
Huntington 36

1959 Norcom 38
Huntington 34

1960 Huntington 39
Maggie Walker 33

1961 Huntington 36 14/15
Maggie Walker 34

1962 Huntington 38
Carver 31

1963 Huntington 54 3/4
Carver 27

1964 Huntington 49
Armstrong 23

1965 Maggie Walker 37
Huntington 29

1966 Huntington 46
Carver 30

1967 Huntington 46
Phenix 39

1968 Huntington 41
Armstrong 29

In 1969 some of the VIA schools: Maggie Walker, Booker T. Washington, Armstrong, Huntington, and others joined the VHSL and placed in the state outdoor championships that year.
11/09/2016 3:29:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
April 21, 1916 The Virginia High School Literary and Athletic League hosted its second annual inter-scholastic track and field championships at Lambeth Field on the campus of the University of Virginia. This meet was open to all the secondary schools of Virginia, whether public or private. It had over a hundred and ten men from twenty high schools and academies entered. The pre meet press was focused on McCall of Woodberry Forest, the record setter in the 100 and 220 Yard Dashes last year. He was expected to break his record of 10 seconds in the 100 Yard Dash this year. But the star of the meet was the lone entrant of Lafayette High School of Norfolk County, Francis Byrd. Francis scored 22 points in the meet placing third as a team. 1st Broad Jump 22’2” (state meet record) 1st High Jump 5’11 ½” (state meet record) 1st Shot Put (12 lb) 41’8” (state meet record) 3rd Discus 4th Pole Vault 4th Javelin 2nd Hammer (12 lb) (This was the only year that this event was held) Francis also ran the 100 Yard Dash – running in the prelims, he qualified for the finals to run against the favored McCall, but opted not to run the finals to save himself for record breaking attempts in later field events. For all his field event points Francis won the individual point trophy. This was a great reward for an athlete so dedicated that he had paid his own way to the state meet. Woodberry Forest 36 1/2 Episcopal High School 27 Lafayette High School - Norfolk County 22 John Marshall 16 1/2 Staunton Military Academy 13 Jefferson Senior 9 Warrenton 5 Culpeper 4 Manassas 2 Lynchburg 2 Scottsville 1
April 21, 1916

The Virginia High School Literary and Athletic League hosted its second annual inter-scholastic track and field championships at Lambeth Field on the campus of the University of Virginia.

This meet was open to all the secondary schools of Virginia, whether public or private. It had over a hundred and ten men from twenty high schools and academies entered.

The pre meet press was focused on McCall of Woodberry Forest, the record setter in the 100 and 220 Yard Dashes last year. He was expected to break his record of 10 seconds in the 100 Yard Dash this year.

But the star of the meet was the lone entrant of Lafayette High School of Norfolk County, Francis Byrd.

Francis scored 22 points in the meet placing third as a team.

1st Broad Jump 22'2" (state meet record)
1st High Jump 5'11 ½" (state meet record)
1st Shot Put (12 lb) 41'8" (state meet record)
3rd Discus
4th Pole Vault
4th Javelin
2nd Hammer (12 lb) (This was the only year that this event was held)

Francis also ran the 100 Yard Dash -- running in the prelims, he qualified for the finals to run against the favored McCall, but opted not to run the finals to save himself for record breaking attempts in later field events.

For all his field event points Francis won the individual point trophy. This was
a great reward for an athlete so dedicated that he had paid his own
way to the state meet.

Woodberry Forest 36 1/2
Episcopal High School 27
Lafayette High School - Norfolk County 22
John Marshall 16 1/2
Staunton Military Academy 13
Jefferson Senior 9
Warrenton 5
Culpeper 4
Manassas 2
Lynchburg 2
Scottsville 1
11/09/2016 4:09:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@texasfanforlife4 Nolan is right the VHSL did not "ban" the use of Liberty for state indoor meets but is just not going to use it because of the gun policy. As far as counties restricting schools in their jurisdiction from participating in meets at that facility I was told by a few coaches that there is concern on their part that counties such as Chesterfield may follow the lead of the VHSL with their concern about the gun policy at Liberty and there has already been some discussion about this. It is not about political views but liability if something should happen. My point is that we have a problem with the lack of indoor facilities that can be used for indoor regional and state meets. Most of the colleges that have hosted high school indoor meets have cut back on the number of meets they allow in their facilities. Most of the indoor state meets in the past were held at U.Va, VMI, and George Mason. Now none of these schools host state meets. If bad weather hits Hampton, the massive number of meets held at Boo Williams is a concern as there are almost no open dates to reschedule a meet. When a new state of the art indoor facility is built it is a shame that it can't be used for state meets.
@texasfanforlife4

Nolan is right the VHSL did not "ban" the use of Liberty for state indoor meets but is just not going to use it because of the gun policy.

As far as counties restricting schools in their jurisdiction from participating in meets at that facility I was told by a few coaches that there is concern on their part that counties such as Chesterfield may follow the lead of the VHSL with their concern about the gun policy at Liberty and there has already been some discussion about this.

It is not about political views but liability if something should happen.

My point is that we have a problem with the lack of indoor facilities that can be used for indoor regional and state meets. Most of the colleges that have hosted high school indoor meets have cut back on the number of meets they allow in their facilities.

Most of the indoor state meets in the past were held at U.Va, VMI, and George Mason. Now none of these schools host state meets.

If bad weather hits Hampton, the massive number of meets held at Boo Williams is a concern as there are almost no open dates to reschedule a meet.

When a new state of the art indoor facility is built it is a shame that it can't be used for state meets.
11/10/2016 11:31:04 AM
Coach
Is there any reasonable way to think that kids would be at increased risk to be shot if they went to Liberty University over any other indoor track facility? No. Even if there were, schools still have sovereign immunity. It's virtually impossible to overcome in a lawsuit against a school. I think school systems can roll the dice that students won't find themselves in a wild, wild West gunfight at the Baptist University.
Is there any reasonable way to think that kids would be at increased risk to be shot if they went to Liberty University over any other indoor track facility? No. Even if there were, schools still have sovereign immunity. It's virtually impossible to overcome in a lawsuit against a school. I think school systems can roll the dice that students won't find themselves in a wild, wild West gunfight at the Baptist University.
11/10/2016 12:23:24 PM
Coach
Maybe I was lied to or didn't get the full story, but I was told that LU isn't being used any more simply because the contract with the VHSL expired and the VHSL explored different, possibly cheaper, options. I was told that the gun issue wasn't the actual reason. Again, I could be wrong. If the use of LU's facility is prohibited, I would find it hard to believe that the invitationals held there would get sanctioning from the VHSL.
Maybe I was lied to or didn't get the full story, but I was told that LU isn't being used any more simply because the contract with the VHSL expired and the VHSL explored different, possibly cheaper, options. I was told that the gun issue wasn't the actual reason. Again, I could be wrong.

If the use of LU's facility is prohibited, I would find it hard to believe that the invitationals held there would get sanctioning from the VHSL.
11/10/2016 10:17:57 PM
User
I love the use of the word "IF" something where to happen at Liberty due to the open carry or whatever. Crime is EVERYWHERE. What about when we have meets up in Landover? That area is horrifically crime ridden. People up there have guns for different reasons than those in Lynchburg. Kids are not allowed to warm up or cool down after dark with out a coach watching them.
I love the use of the word "IF" something where to happen at Liberty due to the open carry or whatever. Crime is EVERYWHERE.

What about when we have meets up in Landover? That area is horrifically crime ridden. People up there have guns for different reasons than those in Lynchburg. Kids are not allowed to warm up or cool down after dark with out a coach watching them.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.