Kudos to Nolan!
01/15/2017 12:59:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I just want to Thank Nolan for making this meet happen and going the extra mile to make it the biggest indoor meet in VA history and for bringing in so much talent from area states. While we can all complain about the grueling schedule, I think it is important to acknowledge that it was a daunting task especially with it being opening day for the facility. Since none of us have ever tried to undertake such a lofty endeavor we can all extend some grace as there is a lot to be learned from hosting this first meet. In an effort to keep this meet on the docket for next year, I am hoping that we can offer some constructive feedback to help Nolan in making it an even better meet for next year. I for one would like to see some entry guidelines. I think coaches would prefer the meet be a more manageable size, rather than have a meet lasting 3 days. I think we could set reasonable, yet attainable standards, so that any kid who has a decent work ethic should be able to get in. I don't believe in bringing a 6 minute miler to this meet. I also have a few logistical considerations, although minor. #1 The runway that was supposed to be reserved for strides was used for many to camp out. I even saw one team serving a buffet on it on Saturday. This is NOT OK! Don't even let teams sit behind it because that adds to the traffic crossing that area. Meet management might want to have some meet marshals whose specific job is to keep that area and the clerking area clear of people who don't belong. #2 Might want to have clerking set up in two locations. There was an area at one end of the stride area that was roped off. That would be a great area to clerk sprints and the 300 and 500 since they start on that side of the track. That also allows the runners access to the stride runway right up until race time. The other clerking area could be just used for events that start on the start finish line area. Just an idea. I have several others, but this is already too long. I wish Nolan and his crew much rest and recovery in the days to come. Thanks again. You pulled it off. I am thankful my kids got the opportunity to compete in such a fine facility and see all the National class runners in action. Cherie Witt
I just want to Thank Nolan for making this meet happen and going the extra mile to make it the biggest indoor meet in VA history and for bringing in so much talent from area states. While we can all complain about the grueling schedule, I think it is important to acknowledge that it was a daunting task especially with it being opening day for the facility. Since none of us have ever tried to undertake such a lofty endeavor we can all extend some grace as there is a lot to be learned from hosting this first meet. In an effort to keep this meet on the docket for next year, I am hoping that we can offer some constructive feedback to help Nolan in making it an even better meet for next year. I for one would like to see some entry guidelines. I think coaches would prefer the meet be a more manageable size, rather than have a meet lasting 3 days. I think we could set reasonable, yet attainable standards, so that any kid who has a decent work ethic should be able to get in. I don't believe in bringing a 6 minute miler to this meet. I also have a few logistical considerations, although minor. #1 The runway that was supposed to be reserved for strides was used for many to camp out. I even saw one team serving a buffet on it on Saturday. This is NOT OK! Don't even let teams sit behind it because that adds to the traffic crossing that area. Meet management might want to have some meet marshals whose specific job is to keep that area and the clerking area clear of people who don't belong. #2 Might want to have clerking set up in two locations. There was an area at one end of the stride area that was roped off. That would be a great area to clerk sprints and the 300 and 500 since they start on that side of the track. That also allows the runners access to the stride runway right up until race time. The other clerking area could be just used for events that start on the start finish line area. Just an idea. I have several others, but this is already too long. I wish Nolan and his crew much rest and recovery in the days to come. Thanks again. You pulled it off. I am thankful my kids got the opportunity to compete in such a fine facility and see all the National class runners in action. Cherie Witt
01/15/2017 6:31:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I second that notion! It's always hard to judge the logistics of something until it happens, and I can't imagine the logistics of that meet! Here's my two cents - I do like that everybody can compete. It's so hard to find good indoor track meets as it stands already, let alone meets that provide the opportunity to compete those outside of your top 3 or whatever limits most meets do. I understand the desire to keep the meet manageable, but if it weren't for MileStat the only meet all of my kids would be able to compete at was our polar bear in December which is unfortunate for all the kids who do work hard but can't show it. I completely agree with the practice straight idea, that was congested on Saturday. What could potentially move would be the spike check-in spot though to where I don't know, but I think that would have helped streamline the actual check-in area. Personally I think it would be helpful to have big signs/banners indicating where certain key things are for the kids, like Check-In. I'm wondering if the TV screens throughout the facility could be utilized for the meet, providing info about check-in times, meet schedule, etc. That might help kids/coaches/spectators know what's going on in a bit more real-time. It'll all get worked out well as more meets get run in there!
I second that notion! It's always hard to judge the logistics of something until it happens, and I can't imagine the logistics of that meet!
Here's my two cents - I do like that everybody can compete. It's so hard to find good indoor track meets as it stands already, let alone meets that provide the opportunity to compete those outside of your top 3 or whatever limits most meets do. I understand the desire to keep the meet manageable, but if it weren't for MileStat the only meet all of my kids would be able to compete at was our polar bear in December which is unfortunate for all the kids who do work hard but can't show it. I completely agree with the practice straight idea, that was congested on Saturday. What could potentially move would be the spike check-in spot though to where I don't know, but I think that would have helped streamline the actual check-in area. Personally I think it would be helpful to have big signs/banners indicating where certain key things are for the kids, like Check-In. I'm wondering if the TV screens throughout the facility could be utilized for the meet, providing info about check-in times, meet schedule, etc. That might help kids/coaches/spectators know what's going on in a bit more real-time.
It'll all get worked out well as more meets get run in there!
01/15/2017 9:10:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would like to second my wife's comments earlier and applaud Nolan for his work in organizing this meet and Liberty University for opening up their beautiful new facility to host it. Job well done Nolan and thank you. I also support my wife's comment about the warm-up area and how we need to keep teams out of there. I was trying to clear the middle before the girls and boys invitational 1000 but many of the athletes and even some coaches had no clue what I was doing. They simply did not understand what "warm-up" area meant and showed no regard for the kids trying to use it. It was very frustrating. I also would like to plead the case for standards (not very strict ones) and/or for coaches to use much better judgement with their entries. To help make my case: 1) approx 32 kids no heighted in the boys and girls high jump 2) approx 37 girls either fouled, did not show, or jumped under 13 ft in the long jump 3) approx 37 boys did the same (but under 15 ft) in the boys lj 4) approx 33 girls either had no mark, fouled, or did not show in the TJ 5) approx 50 girls and boys either did not show, fouled or no mark in the shot 6) approx 13 girls ran over 80 sec 400 pace in the 400, 11 boys over 68 400 pace 7)approx 32 girls either had no time or ran over 13:30 in the 3200 8) approx 50 boys either did not start, had no time, or ran over 11:30 in the 3200. 9) One athlete spent over 3 mins on the track by themself finishing their event! That is cruel to do to a kid! I could go on, believe me! As one who has been involved with high school track for over 35 years, I hate to see track meets treated this way. Is their any wonder why we don't see more parents in the stands. Coaches, please don't enter kids who are not ready to compete at this level and please don't enter kids who will end up not showing up! Do any of us really think a kid will be enthused or encouraged about a sport when they come to compete and do not get their performance measured or foul every attempt or finish well behind the other participants in their event (not to mention the 12 hours they have to spend there because of too many entries) The 90's child psychology or "every kid gets a trophy" has done serious damage to youth athletics. Please make these meets something the kids have to actually earn. Please! Once again Nolan, thank you for the countless hours you put into this, they are greatly appreciated by those of us who understand what this involves. I have to say though, I really think you should consider having standards next year rather than go to a 3 day meet. This is exam time for some schools and that, along with the cost for schools needing to spend the night, will make it very difficult for some. Thank you for listening (reading) and I hope other coaches will offer there opinions on this matter. Sorry to be so long winded. PS I forgot one thing, see if Liberty has another set of starting blocks next year as a second set can really speed up those 55's.
I would like to second my wife's comments earlier and applaud Nolan for his work in organizing this meet and Liberty University for opening up their beautiful new facility to host it. Job well done Nolan and thank you. I also support my wife's comment about the warm-up area and how we need to keep teams out of there. I was trying to clear the middle before the girls and boys invitational 1000 but many of the athletes and even some coaches had no clue what I was doing. They simply did not understand what "warm-up" area meant and showed no regard for the kids trying to use it. It was very frustrating. I also would like to plead the case for standards (not very strict ones) and/or for coaches to use much better judgement with their entries. To help make my case:
1) approx 32 kids no heighted in the boys and girls high jump
2) approx 37 girls either fouled, did not show, or jumped under 13 ft in the long jump
3) approx 37 boys did the same (but under 15 ft) in the boys lj
4) approx 33 girls either had no mark, fouled, or did not show in the TJ
5) approx 50 girls and boys either did not show, fouled or no mark in the shot
6) approx 13 girls ran over 80 sec 400 pace in the 400, 11 boys over 68 400 pace
7)approx 32 girls either had no time or ran over 13:30 in the 3200
8) approx 50 boys either did not start, had no time, or ran over 11:30 in the 3200.
9) One athlete spent over 3 mins on the track by themself finishing their event! That is cruel to do to a kid!

I could go on, believe me! As one who has been involved with high school track for over 35 years, I hate to see track meets treated this way. Is their any wonder why we don't see more parents in the stands. Coaches, please don't enter kids who are not ready to compete at this level and please don't enter kids who will end up not showing up! Do any of us really think a kid will be enthused or encouraged about a sport when they come to compete and do not get their performance measured or foul every attempt or finish well behind the other participants in their event (not to mention the 12 hours they have to spend there because of too many entries) The 90's child psychology or "every kid gets a trophy" has done serious damage to youth athletics. Please make these meets something the kids have to actually earn. Please!
Once again Nolan, thank you for the countless hours you put into this, they are greatly appreciated by those of us who understand what this involves. I have to say though, I really think you should consider having standards next year rather than go to a 3 day meet. This is exam time for some schools and that, along with the cost for schools needing to spend the night, will make it very difficult for some. Thank you for listening (reading) and I hope other coaches will offer there opinions on this matter. Sorry to be so long winded.

PS I forgot one thing, see if Liberty has another set of starting blocks next year as a second set can really speed up those 55's.
01/15/2017 9:12:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
My mistake, #6 should have read "in the 500" not 400.
My mistake, #6 should have read "in the 500" not 400.
01/16/2017 1:00:27 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Great Meet. 2nd set of blocks is a must. Someone should have gone over to the old facility and grabbed some. All comers meet is hard to do with standards or limits. I think choosing to either limit number of entries, number of teams, or standards should be done. 3 days is too much for a meet. It gets super costly on a program for hotels and vans/buses. The meet was pretty darn good. The gunman team was a great group. You can see the years of experience amongst them. Nolan did a pretty good job putting this meet on. Promoting it. Doing it all without a test meet is hard. I think with another year under his belt, all the little things won't be an issue at all. Should probably look at starting earlier on Day 1 or finding a way to trim number of athletes. Hard to get kids fed, back to hotel, and early start next morning. I agree with what one commenter said about embarrassing your kid. I don't blame Nolan for that. That falls on the coach. Have respect for your kids. Clap Laps aren't good. Fans show support, but it is embarrassing to the kid. At this point in the season your kid should have a time. Even one from last season. Its invitational not a Wednesday meet. Hard to tell what Liberty will have in place as far as the facility for next year. I think those airport charging stations would be pretty nice. Upstairs where teams were laying out. If there was a 3 foot space along the rail where teams couldn't lay next to that would be nice. That way you could watch an event and then go back to your team camp. Not just have wasted viewing space occupied by sleeping teams along the rail. Maybe Liberty could paint a red strip along the rail and a red strip as designated walkway upstairs. Teams make their camps in the rest of the gray area. Bathrooms were really really clean. Custodial staff was great. Check with the Region and State reps, they will probably give much better feedback than most of us. Will be back next year.
Great Meet. 2nd set of blocks is a must. Someone should have gone over to the old facility and grabbed some. All comers meet is hard to do with standards or limits. I think choosing to either limit number of entries, number of teams, or standards should be done. 3 days is too much for a meet. It gets super costly on a program for hotels and vans/buses. The meet was pretty darn good. The gunman team was a great group. You can see the years of experience amongst them. Nolan did a pretty good job putting this meet on. Promoting it. Doing it all without a test meet is hard. I think with another year under his belt, all the little things won't be an issue at all. Should probably look at starting earlier on Day 1 or finding a way to trim number of athletes. Hard to get kids fed, back to hotel, and early start next morning. I agree with what one commenter said about embarrassing your kid. I don't blame Nolan for that. That falls on the coach. Have respect for your kids. Clap Laps aren't good. Fans show support, but it is embarrassing to the kid. At this point in the season your kid should have a time. Even one from last season. Its invitational not a Wednesday meet.
Hard to tell what Liberty will have in place as far as the facility for next year. I think those airport charging stations would be pretty nice. Upstairs where teams were laying out. If there was a 3 foot space along the rail where teams couldn't lay next to that would be nice. That way you could watch an event and then go back to your team camp. Not just have wasted viewing space occupied by sleeping teams along the rail. Maybe Liberty could paint a red strip along the rail and a red strip as designated walkway upstairs. Teams make their camps in the rest of the gray area. Bathrooms were really really clean. Custodial staff was great.
Check with the Region and State reps, they will probably give much better feedback than most of us.
Will be back next year.
01/17/2017 9:07:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Not happy with Nolan. They Dq'ed my runner (Cameron Lee Dan River High School)who finished second in heat #5 of the 3200 saying he ran a lap short. They posted a video of heat #5 that followed Cameron the whole race with the person calling the race mentioning Cameron every lap. Watching the video you could see he completed all the laps. I have sent 4 emails and have not had a response. I emailed Blue Ridge Timing and they answered in an hour or so. They corrected the results on their site, but Nolan has no on the milestat site. I know putting on an event of that size is quite an undertaking, but I hope there wasn't so many mistakes that they haven't gotten around to checking out my email.
Not happy with Nolan. They Dq'ed my runner (Cameron Lee Dan River High School)who finished second in heat #5 of the 3200 saying he ran a lap short. They posted a video of heat #5 that followed Cameron the whole race with the person calling the race mentioning Cameron every lap. Watching the video you could see he completed all the laps. I have sent 4 emails and have not had a response. I emailed Blue Ridge Timing and they answered in an hour or so. They corrected the results on their site, but Nolan has no on the milestat site. I know putting on an event of that size is quite an undertaking, but I hope there wasn't so many mistakes that they haven't gotten around to checking out my email.
01/18/2017 5:47:14 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@theprez I have 264 emails. I gain about 50-60 a day. If you emailed me, your email will be answered in the order that it was received. I am not an official at the meet, I did not DQ your runner and if he/she did run the correct amount of laps it will be displayed properly on a new set of results and show up on their profile in due time. Thanks for attending. -Nolan
@theprez I have 264 emails. I gain about 50-60 a day. If you emailed me, your email will be answered in the order that it was received.

I am not an official at the meet, I did not DQ your runner and if he/she did run the correct amount of laps it will be displayed properly on a new set of results and show up on their profile in due time.

Thanks for attending.

-Nolan

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.