SCHOOL ADVISORY - Indoor track - Virginia Showcase
01/27/2017 11:04:44 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Hopefully this issue will be resolved for all those who attended. School Advisory - ATTENTION: principals, athletic/activities directors - Please share the following information with appropriate staff Indoor track – Virginia Showcase It has come to the attention of the VHSL office that there were irregularities with the Virginia Showcase, sponsored by Milestat.com at Liberty University on January 13-14, 2017. In as much, performances achieved in this meet are NOT permissible for the purposes of VHSL post-season qualifying, as the meet is under investigation at this time. Should you have questions, please contact Shawn Knight (sknight@vhsl.org) in the League office.
Hopefully this issue will be resolved for all those who attended.

School Advisory - ATTENTION: principals, athletic/activities directors - Please share the following information with appropriate staff

Indoor track -- Virginia Showcase

It has come to the attention of the VHSL office that there were irregularities with the Virginia Showcase, sponsored by Milestat.com at Liberty University on January 13-14, 2017. In as much, performances achieved in this meet are NOT permissible for the purposes of VHSL post-season qualifying, as the meet is under investigation at this time.

Should you have questions, please contact Shawn Knight (sknight@vhsl.org) in the League office.
01/27/2017 11:49:02 AM
Coach
My guess is that the meet wasn't sanctioned properly (Jamacians or some state)
My guess is that the meet wasn't sanctioned properly (Jamacians or some state)
01/27/2017 12:42:21 PM
Coach
It will be interesting to see what the issue was. The VHSL is starting to get like the NCAA. So many rules and interpretations that everyone is probably violating something. To not be allowed to use times, was something wrong with the markings for some events?
It will be interesting to see what the issue was. The VHSL is starting to get like the NCAA. So many rules and interpretations that everyone is probably violating something.

To not be allowed to use times, was something wrong with the markings for some events?
01/28/2017 6:24:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Such a shame the VHSL has to act this way. I understand we need a governing agency for high school sports, but VHSL has taken this too far. We have someone like Nolan who has worked his butt off to hold an event that is truly for the kids and the sport. Even though I disagree with a few things about the meet (I want some standards, please) I still have to applaud Nolan for the effort he put forth out of his love for the sport. It is truly a shame when someone finds problems with that! I have seen too many power hungry officials in my 35 years of involvement with high school track, and I am tired of it! I hope the VHSL changes this decision and does the right thing as THEY SHOULD!!!
Such a shame the VHSL has to act this way. I understand we need a governing agency for high school sports, but VHSL has taken this too far. We have someone like Nolan who has worked his butt off to hold an event that is truly for the kids and the sport. Even though I disagree with a few things about the meet (I want some standards, please) I still have to applaud Nolan for the effort he put forth out of his love for the sport. It is truly a shame when someone finds problems with that! I have seen too many power hungry officials in my 35 years of involvement with high school track, and I am tired of it! I hope the VHSL changes this decision and does the right thing as THEY SHOULD!!!
01/28/2017 7:02:23 PM
User
@cawitt What are the details, what are the issues? ....and yes, there needed to have been performance standards for this meet.
@cawitt What are the details, what are the issues?

....and yes, there needed to have been performance standards for this meet.
01/28/2017 9:17:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Don't know the details myself, but I believe that the esteemed Coach Camden is indeed correct about sanctioning discrepancies. I have also just heard that this matter may well be forgiven, but I am not 100% sure of that at this point in time.
Don't know the details myself, but I believe that the esteemed Coach Camden is indeed correct about sanctioning discrepancies. I have also just heard that this matter may well be forgiven, but I am not 100% sure of that at this point in time.
01/28/2017 10:33:32 PM
User
@cawitt So, if these rule infractions are forgiven, will the rules that were broken be changed? This will set a precedent. There should not have been any rules broken in the first place, a meet directors main job is to make sure the meet is run properly. I for one, would be pissed if I had a kid run a stellar time and it not stand because something a meet director over looked.
@cawitt

So, if these rule infractions are forgiven, will the rules that were broken be changed?

This will set a precedent. There should not have been any rules broken in the first place, a meet directors main job is to make sure the meet is run properly. I for one, would be pissed if I had a kid run a stellar time and it not stand because something a meet director over looked.
01/29/2017 2:04:51 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachRCamden The VHSL approved the INTERNATIONAL sanction on June 14th, 2016. The NFHS also approved the sanction. The meet was also sanctioned for the State of Florida as of this past summer through a executive board decision.
@CoachRCamden The VHSL approved the INTERNATIONAL sanction on June 14th, 2016. The NFHS also approved the sanction. The meet was also sanctioned for the State of Florida as of this past summer through a executive board decision.
01/29/2017 3:33:37 AM
User
@vamilesplit Then what is the issue?????
@vamilesplit

Then what is the issue?????
01/29/2017 9:45:20 AM
User
That accounts for Florida and Jamaica, but that still leaves AL, DE, IL, KY, MD, OH, NC, NJ, NY, PA, SC, and Washington DC, as well as private schools from several categories, including at least one Category 3 school. Category 3 schools don't follow VHSL regulations for eligibility and are difficult to get sanctioned for competition, especially when each state present may have their own guidelines for competing against such schools. Here's the VHSL's list of sanctioned meets for Winter 16-17. http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/adm-approved-sanctions262.pdf [b]Fortunately[/b] a later email was sent that stated: "Because some conference indoor track and field championships are already in progress using the qualifying performances achieved at the Virginia Showcase on January 13-14, all post-season qualifying performances achieved in that meet are admissible for remaining post-season competition. It should be understood that this allowance represents an exception to policy due to the timing of the League office discoveries. Had League staff been able to corroborate meet management irregularities sooner, the performances would not be allowable."
That accounts for Florida and Jamaica, but that still leaves AL, DE, IL, KY, MD, OH, NC, NJ, NY, PA, SC, and Washington DC, as well as private schools from several categories, including at least one Category 3 school. Category 3 schools don't follow VHSL regulations for eligibility and are difficult to get sanctioned for competition, especially when each state present may have their own guidelines for competing against such schools.

Here's the VHSL's list of sanctioned meets for Winter 16-17. http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/adm-approved-sanctions262.pdf

Fortunately a later email was sent that stated:
"Because some conference indoor track and field championships are already in progress using the qualifying performances achieved at the Virginia Showcase on January 13-14, all post-season qualifying performances achieved in that meet are admissible for remaining post-season competition. It should be understood that this allowance represents an exception to policy due to the timing of the League office discoveries. Had League staff been able to corroborate meet management irregularities sooner, the performances would not be allowable."
01/29/2017 12:32:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Glad to see the VHSL did the right thing, but there is just too much red tape in running off a big track meet. Hate it when politics get involved in sports, especially high school track meets! Either Nolan will now have to do even more work to keep this meet the caliber that it was, or limit it to Virginia and perhaps a couple of other states only. I have no idea how many hoops one has to jump through to allow top athletes from other states into your meet, but its a shame if it takes much at all.
Glad to see the VHSL did the right thing, but there is just too much red tape in running off a big track meet. Hate it when politics get involved in sports, especially high school track meets! Either Nolan will now have to do even more work to keep this meet the caliber that it was, or limit it to Virginia and perhaps a couple of other states only. I have no idea how many hoops one has to jump through to allow top athletes from other states into your meet, but its a shame if it takes much at all.
01/29/2017 12:36:21 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@klov It was sanctioned by the NFHS which means it is not just for border states. NY, NJ, PA, NC, DC, MD, DE and many others sanctioned it... I even had it sanctioned by states that had no teams attending just in case we got a late entry.
@klov It was sanctioned by the NFHS which means it is not just for border states. NY, NJ, PA, NC, DC, MD, DE and many others sanctioned it... I even had it sanctioned by states that had no teams attending just in case we got a late entry.
01/29/2017 1:24:31 PM
User
What was the issue then, if you don't mind sharing? I'm sure other meet directors would love to know in case they ever find themselves in the same predicament. For what it's worth, my team didn't attend, but I've heard and read nothing but great things about the meet. That's probably a reason why people seem so shocked by this- you did a top notch job of recruiting, organizing, and running the meet, only to have this last minute hiccup occur. Regardless, I'm glad the ruling was reversed. I'd hate seeing kids robbed of their qualifying performances for any reason.
What was the issue then, if you don't mind sharing? I'm sure other meet directors would love to know in case they ever find themselves in the same predicament.

For what it's worth, my team didn't attend, but I've heard and read nothing but great things about the meet. That's probably a reason why people seem so shocked by this- you did a top notch job of recruiting, organizing, and running the meet, only to have this last minute hiccup occur.

Regardless, I'm glad the ruling was reversed. I'd hate seeing kids robbed of their qualifying performances for any reason.
01/29/2017 3:32:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Was it the marking of lines for some of the races that were not standard distances? That is the latest I heard, though I don't see why that would make the entire meet and all of the events null and void (though I wouldn't put it past the VHSL to do so).
Was it the marking of lines for some of the races that were not standard distances? That is the latest I heard, though I don't see why that would make the entire meet and all of the events null and void (though I wouldn't put it past the VHSL to do so).
01/29/2017 7:03:10 PM
User
So...meet management gets a pass, awesome.....Like the above poster stated, what is the reason for the violation? Was it something so basic and simple that it would really make Nolan look bad or was it really something out of his hands....like the markings on the track that were probably still drying when the first race was run. Oh well.....everything works out for the kids, which is the important thing.
So...meet management gets a pass, awesome.....Like the above poster stated, what is the reason for the violation? Was it something so basic and simple that it would really make Nolan look bad or was it really something out of his hands....like the markings on the track that were probably still drying when the first race was run.

Oh well.....everything works out for the kids, which is the important thing.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.