4 A West Regional Rules -- WHAT ???
01/30/2017 12:45:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
6) Field event coaches are only allowed on the infield during warmups for the long jump, triple jump and pole vault. Once the competition has started coaches must exit to the upper level. Competing athletes can confer with their coaches but the coaches must remain in the upper level. (7) Event coaches in the shot put and high jump are allowed in the competition area only during warmups. High jump and shot put coaches only may stay in the coaches box behind the shot put area. Coaches must leave the area when their athletes are no longer in the competition and should return to the upper level. (8) No coaches are allowed on the infield unless they are officiating an event or with their athletes who are warming up for a field event and must exit when their official's duty is completed/when the field event starts. (9) I repeat, no coaches or athletes allowed on the lower level except in the cases mentioned above. There should be absolutely no one anywhere near the track perimeter on the lower level except for competing athletes and officials . I will be the first to voice my displeasure....I'm not ok with this at all. #8 is the only acceptable rule, I have no problem not being on the infield, but not being able to be on the entire lower level, just makes no sense what so ever.
6) Field event coaches are only allowed on the infield during warmups for the long jump, triple jump and pole vault. Once the competition has started coaches must exit to the upper level. Competing athletes can confer with their coaches but the coaches must remain in the upper level.
(7) Event coaches in the shot put and high jump are allowed in the competition area only during warmups. High jump and shot put coaches only may stay in the coaches box behind the shot put area. Coaches must leave the area when their athletes are no longer in the competition and should return to the upper level.
(8) No coaches are allowed on the infield unless they are officiating an event or with their athletes who are warming up for a field event and must exit when their official's duty is completed/when the field event starts.
(9) I repeat, no coaches or athletes allowed on the lower level except in the cases mentioned above. There should be absolutely no one anywhere near the track perimeter on the lower level except for competing athletes and officials .

I will be the first to voice my displeasure....I'm not ok with this at all. #8 is the only acceptable rule, I have no problem not being on the infield, but not being able to be on the entire lower level, just makes no sense what so ever.
01/31/2017 10:18:29 PM
Coach
My main question is why the 4 x 800, and only that event, is being run on Thursday, outdoors at Harrisonburg HS while the rest of the meet takes place on Saturday. Can someone explain that?
My main question is why the 4 x 800, and only that event, is being run on Thursday, outdoors at Harrisonburg HS while the rest of the meet takes place on Saturday. Can someone explain that?
01/31/2017 10:31:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Gotta be a typo!
Gotta be a typo!
02/01/2017 8:46:26 AM
Coach
Nope, not a typo.
Nope, not a typo.
02/01/2017 9:49:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kshirk Supposedly its because that is how it is done at the state meet. However this is last years state meet schedule for Friday: 2:00 pm 3A Boys Shot Put followed by 4A Boys Shot Put 2:00 pm 3A Boys Pole Vault followed by 4A Boys Pole Vault 2:00 pm 3A Girls High Jump followed by 4A Girls High Jump 2:00 pm 3A Girls Long Jump followed by 4A Girls Long Jump - track side pit 2:00 pm 4A Boys Triple Jump followed by 3A Boys Triple Jump - infield side pit 5:00 pm 3A Boys 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals followed by 4A Boys 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals 5:30 pm 3A Girls 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals followed by 4A Girls 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals 6:30 pm 3A Boys 55 Meter Hurdle Trials followed by 4A Boys 55 Meter Hurdle Trials 6:50 pm 3A Girls 55 Meter Hurdle Trials followed by 4A Girls 55 Meter Hurdle Trials 7:10 pm 3A Girls 55 Meter Dash Trials followed by 4A Girls 55 Meter Dash Trials 7:40 pm 3A Boys 55 Meter Dash Trials followed by 4A Boys 55 Meter Dash Trials If we aren't going to fully follow the state schedule we should not do it at all. Wasted travel money and missed school time for 1 event. However, it does seem to benefit a school who relies on mostly distance runners to score points, who are attempting to win a team title.
@kshirk
Supposedly its because that is how it is done at the state meet. However this is last years state meet schedule for Friday:

2:00 pm 3A Boys Shot Put followed by 4A Boys Shot Put
2:00 pm 3A Boys Pole Vault followed by 4A Boys Pole Vault
2:00 pm 3A Girls High Jump followed by 4A Girls High Jump
2:00 pm 3A Girls Long Jump followed by 4A Girls Long Jump - track side pit
2:00 pm 4A Boys Triple Jump followed by 3A Boys Triple Jump - infield side pit
5:00 pm 3A Boys 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals followed by 4A Boys 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals
5:30 pm 3A Girls 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals followed by 4A Girls 4 x 800 Meter Relay Finals
6:30 pm 3A Boys 55 Meter Hurdle Trials followed by 4A Boys 55 Meter Hurdle Trials
6:50 pm 3A Girls 55 Meter Hurdle Trials followed by 4A Girls 55 Meter Hurdle Trials
7:10 pm 3A Girls 55 Meter Dash Trials followed by 4A Girls 55 Meter Dash Trials
7:40 pm 3A Boys 55 Meter Dash Trials followed by 4A Boys 55 Meter Dash Trials

If we aren't going to fully follow the state schedule we should not do it at all. Wasted travel money and missed school time for 1 event. However, it does seem to benefit a school who relies on mostly distance runners to score points, who are attempting to win a team title.
02/01/2017 1:54:42 PM
Coach
@TruRunner2 Thanks. Still makes little sense. It doesn't allow for more events for those athletes, so the only benefit is to mimic the schedule(which it isn't doing- two days ahead instead of 1, and no other events) and get those kids more recovery? All of the rules you originally posted are also being implemented for the Bulldog Qualifier meet this weekend. I'm sure it will make the meet run smoothly and cut down on congestion at trackside, but I still think they could issue wristbands or something to a couple coaches from each team to allow trackside access. That would limit athletes and spectators, which would still help tremendously.
@TruRunner2
Thanks. Still makes little sense. It doesn't allow for more events for those athletes, so the only benefit is to mimic the schedule(which it isn't doing- two days ahead instead of 1, and no other events) and get those kids more recovery?

All of the rules you originally posted are also being implemented for the Bulldog Qualifier meet this weekend. I'm sure it will make the meet run smoothly and cut down on congestion at trackside, but I still think they could issue wristbands or something to a couple coaches from each team to allow trackside access. That would limit athletes and spectators, which would still help tremendously.
02/01/2017 6:25:31 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@kshirk It does allow the athletes to run an extra event if they are planning on running the 3200. (They are limited to only one other event on the day they run the 3200, but are able to run 2 other events provided one of them is on a different day.) Thus, if you have a distance runner who runs the 1600 and 3200, the only way to get that runner on the 4*800 is to run it a different day.
@kshirk
It does allow the athletes to run an extra event if they are planning on running the 3200. (They are limited to only one other event on the day they run the 3200, but are able to run 2 other events provided one of them is on a different day.) Thus, if you have a distance runner who runs the 1600 and 3200, the only way to get that runner on the 4*800 is to run it a different day.
02/01/2017 9:43:04 PM
Coach
@Runnerhheaj You're right. I don't know what I was thinking with that statement. Any chance that this idea was created by a distance-heavy coach/AD?
@Runnerhheaj
You're right. I don't know what I was thinking with that statement.
Any chance that this idea was created by a distance-heavy coach/AD?
02/02/2017 7:49:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I understand the desire to provide a 2 day meet. It will allow a distance runner to run the 4x800 relay on day one and then run 2 more races on the next day. However, to run one event on an outdoor track in the middle of Feb does seem to be the"worst of two evils". It will require coaches and athletes to travel up to two and a half hours to reach Harrisonburg. Run their race and then travel home after the sun has gone done and get to their homes late. This is after many of the athletes spent some time in classes before traveling. A two day meet is great but this idea is ill advised. Also, please consider that at least 2 of the region's conferences are running a one day meet starting at 6:00pm on a Wednesday.
I understand the desire to provide a 2 day meet. It will allow a distance runner to run the 4x800 relay on day one and then run 2 more races on the next day. However, to run one event on an outdoor track in the middle of Feb does seem to be the"worst of two evils". It will require coaches and athletes to travel up to two and a half hours to reach Harrisonburg. Run their race and then travel home after the sun has gone done and get to their homes late. This is after many of the athletes spent some time in classes before traveling. A two day meet is great but this idea is ill advised. Also, please consider that at least 2 of the region's conferences are running a one day meet starting at 6:00pm on a Wednesday.
02/03/2017 12:34:29 PM
Coach
Just following up on one of my own comments- Coach Moore, who is in charge of the Bulldog Qualifier, is allowing [b]coaches[/b] on the lower level throughout the meet. They will be issued a wristband. Athletes will remain up top unless warming up for an event. The athletes will not be allowed to view events from the lower level. I think this is a good call. Coaches won't make the area congested, and we can still coach/yell at our athletes as they compete.
Just following up on one of my own comments-
Coach Moore, who is in charge of the Bulldog Qualifier, is allowing coaches on the lower level throughout the meet. They will be issued a wristband. Athletes will remain up top unless warming up for an event. The athletes will not be allowed to view events from the lower level.
I think this is a good call. Coaches won't make the area congested, and we can still coach/yell at our athletes as they compete.
02/03/2017 1:05:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kshirk Glad to see that Coach Moore made a great call and understood that coaches around the track wouldn't be an issue. Now we will see if Reg. 4 A West can make the same good decision.
@kshirk
Glad to see that Coach Moore made a great call and understood that coaches around the track wouldn't be an issue. Now we will see if Reg. 4 A West can make the same good decision.
02/16/2017 7:45:19 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@troth49 It does appear to be a horrible decision on the part of whoever decided to run the 4x800 outdoors. The athletes will be running in near freezing conditions (temps in low to mid 30s, not sure what the wind chill will be). The alternative, a one-day meet at a state of the art indoor facility. How unfortunate for all of the 4x800 athletes.
@troth49 It does appear to be a horrible decision on the part of whoever decided to run the 4x800 outdoors. The athletes will be running in near freezing conditions (temps in low to mid 30s, not sure what the wind chill will be). The alternative, a one-day meet at a state of the art indoor facility. How unfortunate for all of the 4x800 athletes.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.