Parking 1.5 miles away?!
02/21/2017 5:21:02 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Parents - hope you've gotten the word that you will be parking off campus 1.5 miles away from Cregger Center this weekend. Word is there will be "a shuttle service" for us. Could someone please explain what that means? How often will it run? How many will there be? What's the seating capacity for each shuttle? Personally, I don't mind walking (I could stand to lose the weight!), but it would be nice to promulgate a schedule for the parents so that we can plan ahead for the long wait in line and we don't miss our kids' events. Thanks! P.S. - Has anyone been to the facility? Enough seating capacity for spectators? Or, are we all going to be stampeding each other and the athletes to try to get a glimpse of our kids running?
Parents - hope you've gotten the word that you will be parking off campus 1.5 miles away from Cregger Center this weekend. Word is there will be "a shuttle service" for us. Could someone please explain what that means? How often will it run? How many will there be? What's the seating capacity for each shuttle? Personally, I don't mind walking (I could stand to lose the weight!), but it would be nice to promulgate a schedule for the parents so that we can plan ahead for the long wait in line and we don't miss our kids' events. Thanks!

P.S. - Has anyone been to the facility? Enough seating capacity for spectators? Or, are we all going to be stampeding each other and the athletes to try to get a glimpse of our kids running?
02/21/2017 5:39:11 PM
Coach
Seating is VERY limited and parking is non existent and everyone needs to prepare themselves. There is not enough room for one state meet there much less two being run at the same time. Talk to your schools principal, they are the ones responsible for the meet being held there.
Seating is VERY limited and parking is non existent and everyone needs to prepare themselves. There is not enough room for one state meet there much less two being run at the same time. Talk to your schools principal, they are the ones responsible for the meet being held there.
02/21/2017 7:02:56 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Maybe MileStat will change their minds and broadcast this meet over the internet instead of the 5A/6A meet? If seating is limited, seems like that would be a fair compromise.
Maybe MileStat will change their minds and broadcast this meet over the internet instead of the 5A/6A meet? If seating is limited, seems like that would be a fair compromise.
02/22/2017 7:56:48 AM
User
I assume us coaches that are driving our kids in cars also have to park at the civic center?
I assume us coaches that are driving our kids in cars also have to park at the civic center?
02/22/2017 4:48:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Ridiculous to make anyone walk 1.5 miles...shuttle or not. What about the disabled? My hope is next year we go to a different Indoor Track facility.
Ridiculous to make anyone walk 1.5 miles...shuttle or not. What about the disabled? My hope is next year we go to a different Indoor Track facility.
02/23/2017 7:28:40 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Shame on you VHSL for creating this situation. We have one of the best indoor facilities in the country but we aren't going there... We are going to a facility that has horrible parking, terrible seating, I'm sure the ventilation will have the poor kids hacking. Grow up VHSL its about running not fighting. This is my child's senior year and this is what I get?? One disappointed parent.
Shame on you VHSL for creating this situation. We have one of the best indoor facilities in the country but we aren't going there... We are going to a facility that has horrible parking, terrible seating, I'm sure the ventilation will have the poor kids hacking. Grow up VHSL its about running not fighting. This is my child's senior year and this is what I get?? One disappointed parent.
02/24/2017 8:05:11 AM
Coach
I think we are all getting a bit carried away here. Drop your athlete(s) off and go park and walk to the facility yourselves. The weather will be gorgeous and everyone racing is going to be running on the same track and in the same conditions. Ventilation? Give me a break! It sounds like you already have a negative attitude and I would also guess that you have let your son know how you feel about it. In the grand scheme of things, all you are doing is giving him excuses for failure. Did you know that when racing at Penn Relays, the common parking is about 1.5 miles away? Sometimes this is the way things work.
I think we are all getting a bit carried away here. Drop your athlete(s) off and go park and walk to the facility yourselves. The weather will be gorgeous and everyone racing is going to be running on the same track and in the same conditions. Ventilation? Give me a break! It sounds like you already have a negative attitude and I would also guess that you have let your son know how you feel about it. In the grand scheme of things, all you are doing is giving him excuses for failure.

Did you know that when racing at Penn Relays, the common parking is about 1.5 miles away? Sometimes this is the way things work.
02/24/2017 8:40:51 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=PrideXC]I think we are all getting a bit carried away here. Drop your athlete(s) off and go park and walk to the facility yourselves. The weather will be gorgeous and everyone racing is going to be running on the same track and in the same conditions. Ventilation? Give me a break! It sounds like you already have a negative attitude and I would also guess that you have let your son know how you feel about it. In the grand scheme of things, all you are doing is giving him excuses for failure. Did you know that when racing at Penn Relays, the common parking is about 1.5 miles away? Sometimes this is the way things work.[/quote] @PrideXC
PrideXC wrote:
I think we are all getting a bit carried away here. Drop your athlete(s) off and go park and walk to the facility yourselves. The weather will be gorgeous and everyone racing is going to be running on the same track and in the same conditions. Ventilation? Give me a break! It sounds like you already have a negative attitude and I would also guess that you have let your son know how you feel about it. In the grand scheme of things, all you are doing is giving him excuses for failure.

Did you know that when racing at Penn Relays, the common parking is about 1.5 miles away? Sometimes this is the way things work.

@PrideXC
02/24/2017 8:46:01 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@lyonslyons since my daughters best result st Penn Relays was a second I do know how far away you need to park. I get that all kids are running on the same track, but I'm hoping for best results which won't happen on this track. Why this track? Why do I live one hour away and we've never heard of this track. I'm adding up all the factors here...this meet was planned for LU which is one of the most amazing tracks in the US. I'm thrilled RC is hosting us, hats off and thank you. But VHSL needs to rethink this one.
@lyonslyons since my daughters best result st Penn Relays was a second I do know how far away you need to park. I get that all kids are running on the same track, but I'm hoping for best results which won't happen on this track. Why this track? Why do I live one hour away and we've never heard of this track. I'm adding up all the factors here...this meet was planned for LU which is one of the most amazing tracks in the US. I'm thrilled RC is hosting us, hats off and thank you. But VHSL needs to rethink this one.
02/25/2017 9:36:33 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Nice venue - it is a beautiful track. Just wish the facility planners would have thought about more space for seating. It was packed yesterday; I'm sure it will be worse today. Shuttle is convenient. Not as awful as everyone expected.
Nice venue - it is a beautiful track. Just wish the facility planners would have thought about more space for seating. It was packed yesterday; I'm sure it will be worse today. Shuttle is convenient. Not as awful as everyone expected.
02/25/2017 1:48:14 PM
User
Seating is nonexistent. Nice track but not a venue for a state meet. Much less two at the same time.
Seating is nonexistent. Nice track but not a venue for a state meet. Much less two at the same time.
02/25/2017 1:50:48 PM
User
02/26/2017 8:10:23 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Agree with above comments. Appreciate Roanoke College letting us use their new track, but it is simply not a proper venue for two state meets held together. At one point you could barely get in the door due to the crowded conditions. A live feed into the basketball arena where all the kids were staying would have been a great idea! If VHSL conitnues to combine state meets, they need to find a facility with room to do so or hold separate meets.
Agree with above comments. Appreciate Roanoke College letting us use their new track, but it is simply not a proper venue for two state meets held together. At one point you could barely get in the door due to the crowded conditions. A live feed into the basketball arena where all the kids were staying would have been a great idea! If VHSL conitnues to combine state meets, they need to find a facility with room to do so or hold separate meets.
03/01/2017 2:29:28 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I attended both days and did not see too much of a problem. Sure seating was very limited but most indoor facilities have limited seating. When it was my kids turn to race I simply asked the people in front if they minded if I moved up to watch. In all three races it was not a problem. I used the shuttle both days and never waited more then five minutes. Drivers were very accommodating and the buses were clean. I thought the facility was awesome. Athletes had a good, SAFE area to warm up and seating in the basketball arena was great. Much better than sitting in the hallways. Food at the concession was good and fairly priced. My only complaint was the $10 admission cost each day. I only had to pay for myself but felt bad for the families who may have had 4 or 5 people there to watch one athlete. Overall A++ to the VHSL and Roanoke College for providing a great venue to race!
I attended both days and did not see too much of a problem. Sure seating was very limited but most indoor facilities have limited seating. When it was my kids turn to race I simply asked the people in front if they minded if I moved up to watch. In all three races it was not a problem. I used the shuttle both days and never waited more then five minutes. Drivers were very accommodating and the buses were clean. I thought the facility was awesome. Athletes had a good, SAFE area to warm up and seating in the basketball arena was great. Much better than sitting in the hallways. Food at the concession was good and fairly priced. My only complaint was the $10 admission cost each day. I only had to pay for myself but felt bad for the families who may have had 4 or 5 people there to watch one athlete. Overall A++ to the VHSL and Roanoke College for providing a great venue to race!
03/01/2017 7:15:09 PM
Power User
In my opinion, if the venue is so small that there's not enough room for athletes to be inside cheering on their teammates, it's just not acceptable.
In my opinion, if the venue is so small that there's not enough room for athletes to be inside cheering on their teammates, it's just not acceptable.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.