VHSL Group 3A/4A State Outdoor T&F Championships 2017
05/27/2017 2:40:21 PM
User
Did anyone else have hotel search problems? We started looking 3 weeks ago and couldn't find anything close by. Our hotel is now located 1 1/2 hours away and we have athletes competing in the 200m prelims at 8:40 pm. That time is ridiculous being that we have to drive so far away after the meet....and stop for food and then have to get up extra early for the drive the next morning. Whatever school that is willing to host this meet should be able to adjust its school operating hours for that day to allow us to start the meet earlier in order to avoid problems like this. The powers that be need to speak up for all schools and not just the ones in that area.....
Did anyone else have hotel search problems? We started looking 3 weeks ago and couldn't find anything close by. Our hotel is now located 1 1/2 hours away and we have athletes competing in the 200m prelims at 8:40 pm. That time is ridiculous being that we have to drive so far away after the meet....and stop for food and then have to get up extra early for the drive the next morning. Whatever school that is willing to host this meet should be able to adjust its school operating hours for that day to allow us to start the meet earlier in order to avoid problems like this. The powers that be need to speak up for all schools and not just the ones in that area.....
05/27/2017 3:23:32 PM
Power User
Did you check Staunton, VA? I just checked Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn just to see what was available and both have rooms with two beds. This is 45 minutes away which is somewhat better than 1 1/2 hours. Hope this helps.
Did you check Staunton, VA? I just checked Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn just to see what was available and both have rooms with two beds. This is 45 minutes away which is somewhat better than 1 1/2 hours. Hope this helps.
05/27/2017 9:14:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Amen tracknation! It is very disappointing that the 3A/4A is held at Harrisonburg! They have good people there,but it is just not a proper state meet venue and the fact that the school is unwilling to adjust their schedule is frustrating. My daughter my miss her graduation because of this! Very frustrating that he VHSL does nothing to help here.
Amen tracknation! It is very disappointing that the 3A/4A is held at Harrisonburg! They have good people there,but it is just not a proper state meet venue and the fact that the school is unwilling to adjust their schedule is frustrating. My daughter my miss her graduation because of this! Very frustrating that he VHSL does nothing to help here.
05/28/2017 9:23:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Of course the 1A/2A meet is in Elkton, 15 minutes from Harrisonburg which isn't helping the issue plus from what I was told there is something for JMU grads that weekend as well. I was able to get reservations about a month ago but at that point there wasn't much left. As for the graduation topic. That is why they have the grad ceremony at least at the 1A/2A. At this time of year with 300 schools, you can't put a state meet on the schedule that doesn't conflict with some schools graduations.
Of course the 1A/2A meet is in Elkton, 15 minutes from Harrisonburg which isn't helping the issue plus from what I was told there is something for JMU grads that weekend as well. I was able to get reservations about a month ago but at that point there wasn't much left.

As for the graduation topic. That is why they have the grad ceremony at least at the 1A/2A. At this time of year with 300 schools, you can't put a state meet on the schedule that doesn't conflict with some schools graduations.
05/30/2017 2:32:06 AM
User
[quote=petecrys]Did you check Staunton, VA? I just checked Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn just to see what was available and both have rooms with two beds. This is 45 minutes away which is somewhat better than 1 1/2 hours. Hope this helps.[/quote] @petecrys
petecrys wrote:

@petecrys
05/30/2017 2:32:49 AM
User
@petecrys
05/30/2017 2:38:50 AM
User
Yes, we tried Staunton but we needed 14 rooms...we had a great year with a lot of kids qualifying. It still comes down to the 9:00 finish on Friday night. It's supposed to be about the kids. We would have liked to have sat down and had a team dinner Friday evening before going back to the hotel...but we are not gonna have them eat 9:30 meals and then be back up bright and early for breakfast and a 1.5 hour trip to the high school. It's just frustrating. @petecrys
Yes, we tried Staunton but we needed 14 rooms...we had a great year with a lot of kids qualifying. It still comes down to the 9:00 finish on Friday night. It's supposed to be about the kids. We would have liked to have sat down and had a team dinner Friday evening before going back to the hotel...but we are not gonna have them eat 9:30 meals and then be back up bright and early for breakfast and a 1.5 hour trip to the high school. It's just frustrating.
@petecrys
05/30/2017 2:44:37 AM
User
I understand exactly what you are saying. When you host something as big as a state meet, the first thing is to be willing to adjust your normal routine to accommodate what is needed. Maybe I'm just wrong.... @cawitt
I understand exactly what you are saying. When you host something as big as a state meet, the first thing is to be willing to adjust your normal routine to accommodate what is needed. Maybe I'm just wrong....
@cawitt
05/30/2017 2:47:59 AM
User
Yes, we have moved prom and graduation ceremonies to accommodate these state meets and it still causes problems... @rsullins
Yes, we have moved prom and graduation ceremonies to accommodate these state meets and it still causes problems...
@rsullins
05/31/2017 2:28:42 PM
Coach
Massanutten Resort is 25 minutes away. A bit pricy. McGaheysville (pronounced MC-GAKEEs-Ville)is below the resort and probably has a few small places. 20 minutes away. You were kidding about Elkton, right? Waynesboro is 40 minutes away & has 5 or 6 places. Not the classist place, but they are chain hotels/motels. Hope this helps a little. Go ECG!
Massanutten Resort is 25 minutes away. A bit pricy. McGaheysville (pronounced MC-GAKEEs-Ville)is below the resort and probably has a few small places. 20 minutes away. You were kidding about Elkton, right? Waynesboro is 40 minutes away & has 5 or 6 places. Not the classist place, but they are chain hotels/motels. Hope this helps a little. Go ECG!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.