VHSL Group 3A/4A State Outdoor T&F Championships 2017
06/03/2017 9:48:52 AM
Coach
It is very disappointing that 3A/4A meet officials or whoever do NOT use Live Results on MileStat just like 5A/6A. It really makes no sense being that MileStat is our Bible for track and field results/rankings/videos and everything about track and field.
It is very disappointing that 3A/4A meet officials or whoever do NOT use Live Results on MileStat just like 5A/6A. It really makes no sense being that MileStat is our Bible for track and field results/rankings/videos and everything about track and field.
06/03/2017 12:29:50 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
^ agree
^ agree
06/03/2017 12:56:19 PM
User
@chisolmkidz And not even a finish line clock. Pitiful.
@chisolmkidz And not even a finish line clock. Pitiful.
06/03/2017 5:09:47 PM
User
I agree!!' Ridiculous
I agree!!' Ridiculous
06/03/2017 5:10:04 PM
User
I agree!!' Ridiculous
I agree!!' Ridiculous
06/03/2017 5:47:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I don't generally complain, but this has been a horribly run meet. Way too much time between sections. Clock issues repeatedly. FAT not picking up runners. Program wrong. I'm not sure who is at fault, but a state meet should not have so many issues.
I don't generally complain, but this has been a horribly run meet. Way too much time between sections. Clock issues repeatedly. FAT not picking up runners. Program wrong. I'm not sure who is at fault, but a state meet should not have so many issues.
06/03/2017 5:56:34 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Very badly run! We weren't able to go to the meet but could find very little coverage or results anywhere! The other State meets had much better coverage.
Very badly run! We weren't able to go to the meet but could find very little coverage or results anywhere! The other State meets had much better coverage.
06/03/2017 7:57:30 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I know nothing about the quality of the 3A/4A meet itself, but in regard to Internet coverage... What's that I heard??? There was a 3A/4A State Meet this weekend? And a 1A/2A State Meet, too? Not if you've tried to follow the so-called "live" results on MileSplitVA! New MileSplitVA slogan: "The home of all the 5A/6A news". This near-exclusive focus on 5A/6A is just like last year -- where, if I’m not mistaken, MileSplitVA nevah evah even reported on the dramatic makeup conclusion of the 3A/4A meet, which came down to the final relay, at least in 4A. Nevah evah gave those 3A/4A kids their moment in the limelight. (Correct me if I'm wrong, MSVA.) But 5A/6A? Nothing is missed. (Fabulous for all those deserving kids, of course.) Over 2000 photos, lots of videos already posted, and I lost track after 70 tweets today devoted to 5A or 6A. How many tweets were there for 3A/4A today? FOUR that I saw, including one from around noon -- which was to post FRIDAY'S RESULTS for the first time! (Still no Friday photos or videos yet, though…at Saturday night at nearly 8 pm) And ZERO tweets for 1A/2A going back to the morning, at least. That's really, really disgusting, disappointing, sad, and a few more choice words I’ll not post. AND WHICH TEAMS WON OR WERE RUNNERS-UP TODAY? I haven't found any announcements yet. Certainly not on Twitter! Great job again, MileSplitVA. Hope you can get over your fixation with 5A/6A by the fall XC State Meet, for the sake of lots and lots of teens and their parents, and other followers, all of whom are more or less reliant on you for the breaking news if they weren't there, or if they weren't able to find another source of tweets, or weren’t lucky enough to be on the phone with someone there. Here are a few letters and numbers for you to study, for next season’s States: 1A … 2A … 3A … 4A … T … W … I … T (again) … T (and again) … E … and R.
I know nothing about the quality of the 3A/4A meet itself, but in regard to Internet coverage...

What's that I heard??? There was a 3A/4A State Meet this weekend? And a 1A/2A State Meet, too? Not if you've tried to follow the so-called "live" results on MileSplitVA! New MileSplitVA slogan: "The home of all the 5A/6A news".

This near-exclusive focus on 5A/6A is just like last year -- where, if I'm not mistaken, MileSplitVA nevah evah even reported on the dramatic makeup conclusion of the 3A/4A meet, which came down to the final relay, at least in 4A. Nevah evah gave those 3A/4A kids their moment in the limelight. (Correct me if I'm wrong, MSVA.)

But 5A/6A? Nothing is missed. (Fabulous for all those deserving kids, of course.) Over 2000 photos, lots of videos already posted, and I lost track after 70 tweets today devoted to 5A or 6A. How many tweets were there for 3A/4A today? FOUR that I saw, including one from around noon -- which was to post FRIDAY'S RESULTS for the first time! (Still no Friday photos or videos yet, though…at Saturday night at nearly 8 pm) And ZERO tweets for 1A/2A going back to the morning, at least. That's really, really disgusting, disappointing, sad, and a few more choice words I'll not post.

AND WHICH TEAMS WON OR WERE RUNNERS-UP TODAY? I haven't found any announcements yet. Certainly not on Twitter!

Great job again, MileSplitVA. Hope you can get over your fixation with 5A/6A by the fall XC State Meet, for the sake of lots and lots of teens and their parents, and other followers, all of whom are more or less reliant on you for the breaking news if they weren't there, or if they weren't able to find another source of tweets, or weren't lucky enough to be on the phone with someone there.

Here are a few letters and numbers for you to study, for next season's States: 1A … 2A … 3A … 4A … T … W … I … T (again) … T (and again) … E … and R.
06/03/2017 9:22:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Some strange things went on with the meet scoring in the 3A meet. With 2 events to go it looked like IC Norcom was going to take it, then all of a sudden Blacksburg wins by 7! Not sure what happened, but I think it may have involved the pole vault scoring. Either way, the meet was somewhat of a mess. Not sure what the solution is, but I doubt vHSL will do much to fix it!
Some strange things went on with the meet scoring in the 3A meet. With 2 events to go it looked like IC Norcom was going to take it, then all of a sudden Blacksburg wins by 7! Not sure what happened, but I think it may have involved the pole vault scoring. Either way, the meet was somewhat of a mess. Not sure what the solution is, but I doubt vHSL will do much to fix it!
06/03/2017 9:53:08 PM
User
The lack of a clock at the start/finish line for a "State" meet seems to be symbolic for the entire event.
The lack of a clock at the start/finish line for a "State" meet seems to be symbolic for the entire event.
06/03/2017 10:30:52 PM
Admin
@MattPoole Correction, MileStat bought the rights to cover 3A4A last year and sent a crew out even on the third day. We were there live, tweeting it live just like other meets. Results and them not getting posted have nothing to do with us. We post them the minute we get them. 3A4A chooses to do their meet differently and if we had live results we could arrange for tweets and the such for every single win, but that is not on us. Hope you had a great state meet.
@MattPoole Correction, MileStat bought the rights to cover 3A4A last year and sent a crew out even on the third day. We were there live, tweeting it live just like other meets.

Results and them not getting posted have nothing to do with us. We post them the minute we get them.

3A4A chooses to do their meet differently and if we had live results we could arrange for tweets and the such for every single win, but that is not on us.

Hope you had a great state meet.
06/03/2017 10:32:48 PM
Admin
@MattPoole Also, if there are any concerns with coverage, please email me personally instead of discussing it in a forum. We work very hard to provide the best coverage and want everyone to be happy. Email - Njez@MileSplit.com
@MattPoole Also, if there are any concerns with coverage, please email me personally instead of discussing it in a forum. We work very hard to provide the best coverage and want everyone to be happy.

Email - Njez@MileSplit.com
06/03/2017 10:53:10 PM
Power User
As bad as this meet was, it still was better than the end of last year's meet.
As bad as this meet was, it still was better than the end of last year's meet.
06/04/2017 12:08:18 AM
User
I was going to comment on the same line as one of the above posters. Each class hires their timing crew, you take the low bid, you get what you pay for. Milestat is, for the most part, the spreader of results...they post what they get. Not every timer has the ability to post live results. With that being said, if you have issues with a site, talk to your AD, fellow coaches in your division and get shit changed, or try to host a meet like this and see how hard it is. Don't come to a message board and bitch and moan about something that you can help fix.
I was going to comment on the same line as one of the above posters.

Each class hires their timing crew, you take the low bid, you get what you pay for. Milestat is, for the most part, the spreader of results...they post what they get. Not every timer has the ability to post live results.

With that being said, if you have issues with a site, talk to your AD, fellow coaches in your division and get shit changed, or try to host a meet like this and see how hard it is. Don't come to a message board and bitch and moan about something that you can help fix.
06/04/2017 7:26:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Scratch my comment above about the scoring, I had thought the pole vault had been scored (it had been over for quite awhile) but apparently it had not. I have a hard time believing that any timing/scoring crew used for a state meet does not have the ability to post results/videos in a reasonable amount of time given today's standards. I agree that this is not the fault of milestat nor that of most of the good people helping to run this meet, but whomever makes the call about timing, scoring, videos, etc...they have to do a better job. Compared to the 5A/6A AND 1A/2A, the 3A/4A meet looks pretty bad. (and takes forever). I agree that coaches need to make comments/complaints to their AD's, though I know ours have done so for a few years with no results and I suspect others have done the same. At some point the VHSL needs to step up, but I get the feeling that track and field is just not a priority for them. How many other sports combine two divisons into one State meet and hold them at high school facilities?
Scratch my comment above about the scoring, I had thought the pole vault had been scored (it had been over for quite awhile) but apparently it had not. I have a hard time believing that any timing/scoring crew used for a state meet does not have the ability to post results/videos in a reasonable amount of time given today's standards. I agree that this is not the fault of milestat nor that of most of the good people helping to run this meet, but whomever makes the call about timing, scoring, videos, etc...they have to do a better job. Compared to the 5A/6A AND 1A/2A, the 3A/4A meet looks pretty bad. (and takes forever). I agree that coaches need to make comments/complaints to their AD's, though I know ours have done so for a few years with no results and I suspect others have done the same. At some point the VHSL needs to step up, but I get the feeling that track and field is just not a priority for them. How many other sports combine two divisons into one State meet and hold them at high school facilities?
06/04/2017 7:53:26 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Will there be any videos or photos from this meet posted on Milestat? I was hoping to show my family since they live so far away?
Will there be any videos or photos from this meet posted on Milestat? I was hoping to show my family since they live so far away?
06/04/2017 9:14:21 AM
Power User
@texasfanforlife4 Nolan, I am confused. You say last year you bought the rights to cover the 3A/4A state meet. What about this year? What do you mean that 3A/4A chooses to do their meet differently? I know I saw some photographers at the meet this year, but I don't know if they were from milesplit or what. As of this morning, there are no photos, no race videos, no athlete interviews...no nothing! Pretty sure it's because no one took photos, or video, or anything! Why is this? I don't get it. Whose decision is it to ignore 3A/4A coverage?
@texasfanforlife4 Nolan, I am confused. You say last year you bought the rights to cover the 3A/4A state meet. What about this year? What do you mean that 3A/4A chooses to do their meet differently? I know I saw some photographers at the meet this year, but I don't know if they were from milesplit or what. As of this morning, there are no photos, no race videos, no athlete interviews...no nothing! Pretty sure it's because no one took photos, or video, or anything! Why is this? I don't get it. Whose decision is it to ignore 3A/4A coverage?
06/04/2017 10:06:06 AM
User
From a timing and scoring perspective, while I'd love to offer my services which include live results and 5 different scoreboard options, something needs to be changed for the athletes sake. Plus, I don't see how the VHSL can let coaches (of teams at the meet) be the official timer. In any case, our High School athletes deserve a better experience for the biggest meet of theit HS season. This wold solve the issues at the meet and for those, such as milestat, who can't be in 3 locations at once.
From a timing and scoring perspective, while I'd love to offer my services which include live results and 5 different scoreboard options, something needs to be changed for the athletes sake. Plus, I don't see how the VHSL can let coaches (of teams at the meet) be the official timer. In any case, our High School athletes deserve a better experience for the biggest meet of theit HS season. This wold solve the issues at the meet and for those, such as milestat, who can't be in 3 locations at once.
06/04/2017 10:11:45 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
3A/4A people news flash....5A/6A state meet always has and always will get top coverage and first priority because its simply the better meet on those days (just as AAA state meet always did over AA & A state meets when I was running the site) to be at when the meets conflict on the schedule. Thats how we operate on any given weekend throughout the year. We are going to cover a 100 school plus Dogwood Classic over a 10-12 school invite of local teams held on the same weekend. Its not to say that the 3A/4A state meet is not a quality meet or deserving of coverage, but its going up against a superior meet held on the same day in 5A/6A state meet which is why attention and resources will go to one over the year when spread thin. We don't have multiple state webmasters for each classification of Virginia. There is one webmaster for the whole state and when there are meets that are on the same day, that individual will always tend to go to the best meet of that given day. There is only so much bandwidth one MileSplit state webmaster has. There was a video contributor at 3A/4A and there was a photo contributor at 3A/4A. Our photographer is starting to upload now after being at the meet 2 straight days hours from home. http://va.milesplit.com/photos/albums/36733 Nolan will be personally getting the video contributors content who was a student-athlete filming for us at some point today and uploading. Keep in mind that contributors aren't full-time trained webmasters and don't operate normally at same level of coverage as a webmaster on-site at a meet. While Nolan or myself might able to do 5 different tasks at the same time at a meet, that contributor's job or skill might just simply be to take photos or video record the races. Also to be aware...the VHSL has an exclusive video rights/streaming deal with NFHS Network for all their sports. They get firsts dibs on any events. If that company decides to exercise their rights deal to cover an event, we are shut out and not allowed to provide full race video coverage of the meet. For this year's outdoor state meet, this company opted to stream only the final day of the state meet. So we will not be able to have full race video coverage of day 2 meets at any of the 3 state meet sites. But we reached out to VHSL beforehand and paid for the rights for day 1 coverage at all 3 sites and we are allowed to only do 3 minute hight reels from day 2 events. If we didn't reach out to VHSL for the day 1 coverage then you would find no race video coverage anywhere cause the company which has the exclusive rights to do it didn't feel it was worth it cover it. Also if 3A/4A people want to have better coverage of their events...you can help. I'm sure many of you know people associated with your teams that take photos at meets or film video of races. We would be glad to have them part of our regular meet coverage. Our 5A/6A contributors are typically people who have strong associations, parents or alumni of the 5A/6A teams. And how quickly do people forget that we sent our North Carolina state webmaster to the 3A/4A indoor state meet this past March as he was providing full race video coverage and tweets on-site from the state meet. And Nolan and myself have been covering the 1A/2A state indoor meet as well since it started because the key is that it doesn't conflict with 5A/6A state meet on same day like 3A/4A does. And every year at the state cross country state meet, we provide no different coverage of all classifications since the races are all held at the same site. In Maryland, I can cover a bunch of indoor regionals cause they are all held on separate consecutive days at the PG County Sportsplex or Baltimore Armory. Outdoors, its no point in virtually even covering one as its 16 regionals all held on the same day at 16 different locations. Its all about how the meets are scheduled that dictates availability to cover them. That is the difference....when everyone is it all the same site...then its easiest to provide coverage. When you got multiple event sites on same day, you have to make decisions on where to staff your best coverage and where you will be personally based on whats the best meet for interest because its impossible for yourself to be at multiple locations at the same time. We have data and analytics to support why 5A/6A state meet is the best meet cover and will get the priority. And when the final portion of the 3A/4A state meet was postponed last year, Nolan went up to Harrisonburg to cover that portion of the meet. Also not sure how one person in Nolan is going to be able tweet from 3 different state meet state sites going on at the same time while obviously preoccupied and focused on coverage at the one meet on-site at. Especially when we don't have timers providing live results to see whats going on at meets not attending. We'd love to provide full coverage and have Nolan at all the 3 different state meet sites, but its impossible cause they are all held at the same time. Thus 5A/6A will always take priority is far as coverage over 3A/4A and 1A/2A in the current setup when they conflict.
3A/4A people news flash....5A/6A state meet always has and always will get top coverage and first priority because its simply the better meet on those days (just as AAA state meet always did over AA & A state meets when I was running the site) to be at when the meets conflict on the schedule. Thats how we operate on any given weekend throughout the year. We are going to cover a 100 school plus Dogwood Classic over a 10-12 school invite of local teams held on the same weekend.

Its not to say that the 3A/4A state meet is not a quality meet or deserving of coverage, but its going up against a superior meet held on the same day in 5A/6A state meet which is why attention and resources will go to one over the year when spread thin.

We don't have multiple state webmasters for each classification of Virginia. There is one webmaster for the whole state and when there are meets that are on the same day, that individual will always tend to go to the best meet of that given day. There is only so much bandwidth one MileSplit state webmaster has.

There was a video contributor at 3A/4A and there was a photo contributor at 3A/4A. Our photographer is starting to upload now after being at the meet 2 straight days hours from home.

http://va.milesplit.com/photos/albums/36733

Nolan will be personally getting the video contributors content who was a student-athlete filming for us at some point today and uploading. Keep in mind that contributors aren't full-time trained webmasters and don't operate normally at same level of coverage as a webmaster on-site at a meet. While Nolan or myself might able to do 5 different tasks at the same time at a meet, that contributor's job or skill might just simply be to take photos or video record the races.

Also to be aware...the VHSL has an exclusive video rights/streaming deal with NFHS Network for all their sports. They get firsts dibs on any events. If that company decides to exercise their rights deal to cover an event, we are shut out and not allowed to provide full race video coverage of the meet. For this year's outdoor state meet, this company opted to stream only the final day of the state meet.

So we will not be able to have full race video coverage of day 2 meets at any of the 3 state meet sites. But we reached out to VHSL beforehand and paid for the rights for day 1 coverage at all 3 sites and we are allowed to only do 3 minute hight reels from day 2 events. If we didn't reach out to VHSL for the day 1 coverage then you would find no race video coverage anywhere cause the company which has the exclusive rights to do it didn't feel it was worth it cover it.

Also if 3A/4A people want to have better coverage of their events...you can help. I'm sure many of you know people associated with your teams that take photos at meets or film video of races. We would be glad to have them part of our regular meet coverage. Our 5A/6A contributors are typically people who have strong associations, parents or alumni of the 5A/6A teams.

And how quickly do people forget that we sent our North Carolina state webmaster to the 3A/4A indoor state meet this past March as he was providing full race video coverage and tweets on-site from the state meet. And Nolan and myself have been covering the 1A/2A state indoor meet as well since it started because the key is that it doesn't conflict with 5A/6A state meet on same day like 3A/4A does.

And every year at the state cross country state meet, we provide no different coverage of all classifications since the races are all held at the same site.

In Maryland, I can cover a bunch of indoor regionals cause they are all held on separate consecutive days at the PG County Sportsplex or Baltimore Armory. Outdoors, its no point in virtually even covering one as its 16 regionals all held on the same day at 16 different locations. Its all about how the meets are scheduled that dictates availability to cover them.

That is the difference....when everyone is it all the same site...then its easiest to provide coverage. When you got multiple event sites on same day, you have to make decisions on where to staff your best coverage and where you will be personally based on whats the best meet for interest because its impossible for yourself to be at multiple locations at the same time. We have data and analytics to support why 5A/6A state meet is the best meet cover and will get the priority. And when the final portion of the 3A/4A state meet was postponed last year, Nolan went up to Harrisonburg to cover that portion of the meet.

Also not sure how one person in Nolan is going to be able tweet from 3 different state meet state sites going on at the same time while obviously preoccupied and focused on coverage at the one meet on-site at. Especially when we don't have timers providing live results to see whats going on at meets not attending.

We'd love to provide full coverage and have Nolan at all the 3 different state meet sites, but its impossible cause they are all held at the same time. Thus 5A/6A will always take priority is far as coverage over 3A/4A and 1A/2A in the current setup when they conflict.
06/04/2017 10:51:35 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Update: Unfortunately the state meet contributor that we had lined up at 3A/4A state meet...keep in mind a non-competing student-athlete attending was told not to film by his coach so could focus on cheering. We just find out about this now. Beyond annoyed and so no race videos from day 1 at state meet (only thing we were going to be allowed to do). Again anyone associated with 3A/4A that wants to become a contributor for 3A/4A meets...we'd be glad to have you.
Update: Unfortunately the state meet contributor that we had lined up at 3A/4A state meet...keep in mind a non-competing student-athlete attending was told not to film by his coach so could focus on cheering. We just find out about this now. Beyond annoyed and so no race videos from day 1 at state meet (only thing we were going to be allowed to do).

Again anyone associated with 3A/4A that wants to become a contributor for 3A/4A meets...we'd be glad to have you.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.