Uniform Rules????
06/08/2017 10:33:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Did the uniform rules change? It was once a big deal to ensure your team was in perfect matching uniforms. Apparently no longer. There were teams at the 5A/6A meet with more wardrobe changes than Lady Gaga. And some nearly as flamboyant. No big deal. But, I smell a headache for meet directors some day soon.
Did the uniform rules change?
It was once a big deal to ensure your team was in perfect matching uniforms.
Apparently no longer.
There were teams at the 5A/6A meet with more wardrobe changes than Lady Gaga.
And some nearly as flamboyant.

No big deal. But, I smell a headache for meet directors some day soon.
06/12/2017 12:49:59 AM
Coach
There seem to be 2 big uniform issues. First are there compression shorts with a name on the waistband and second, the tights below the knees that are multicolored or have a logo.
There seem to be 2 big uniform issues.

First are there compression shorts with a name on the waistband and second, the tights below the knees that are multicolored or have a logo.
06/14/2017 12:33:22 PM
Coach
@gilmorep I agree, I'm seeing a lot of mismatched shorts of various kinds. I remember when that was a Cardinal Sin.
@gilmorep

I agree, I'm seeing a lot of mismatched shorts of various kinds. I remember when that was a Cardinal Sin.
06/14/2017 4:30:32 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@gilmorep There is no rule against multiple uniforms. Just has to be "school issues" and abide by the logo rule.
@gilmorep There is no rule against multiple uniforms. Just has to be "school issues" and abide by the logo rule.
06/14/2017 11:21:33 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@vamilesplit OK. I consider that good news and a healthy rules change. If there's a requirement all uniforms be school issued, then that will head off any Brian Bosworth style controversies. The bigger problem is uniform rules which give losers a chance to win by protest what they could not win on the track. One of the more awful cases being the Baltimore County cross country championships a few years back when a runner was DQ'd after the race because his Under Armour compression shorts logo was showing below his uniform shorts. That changed the scores and the team winner. When discussing this travesty with the Porters, coaches of Mountain View and both Baltimore County/Maryland State champions back in the day, they told me Virginia rules could be just as stringent. They said it was a Mountain View pre-race ritual to line up the team and two coaches inspected uniforms to ensure they all matched perfectly and there were no other possible infractions. That's a bit severe, but they won a lot of races. And, Coach Porter is a Marine from the Naval Academy, so uniform inspections are a way of life for him. Glad the rules have changed for the better in Virginia. I guess Coach Porter will just have to inspect haircuts from now on.
@vamilesplit

OK. I consider that good news and a healthy rules change.
If there's a requirement all uniforms be school issued, then that will head off any Brian Bosworth style controversies.

The bigger problem is uniform rules which give losers a chance to win by protest what they could not win on the track. One of the more awful cases being the Baltimore County cross country championships a few years back when a runner was DQ'd after the race because his Under Armour compression shorts logo was showing below his uniform shorts. That changed the scores and the team winner.

When discussing this travesty with the Porters, coaches of Mountain View and both Baltimore County/Maryland State champions back in the day, they told me Virginia rules could be just as stringent. They said it was a Mountain View pre-race ritual to line up the team and two coaches inspected uniforms to ensure they all matched perfectly and there were no other possible infractions.

That's a bit severe, but they won a lot of races.
And, Coach Porter is a Marine from the Naval Academy, so uniform inspections are a way of life for him.

Glad the rules have changed for the better in Virginia.
I guess Coach Porter will just have to inspect haircuts from now on.
06/15/2017 2:44:58 PM
Coach
@vamilesplit Relays need to be in same uniform.
@vamilesplit

Relays need to be in same uniform.
06/15/2017 6:28:18 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@rsullins Yes Relays need to all match... there is no such thing as the "one can be different rule"... maybe that rule appeared from the same people that say "in the hole" instead of "on hold" in field events? All joking aside, the way the double logo rule is enforced is one of two ways. First the clerks either catch it or they don't and if they don't catch it its fine to run in. Second is you get warned once then second time get dq'd. -Nolan
@rsullins Yes Relays need to all match... there is no such thing as the "one can be different rule"... maybe that rule appeared from the same people that say "in the hole" instead of "on hold" in field events?

All joking aside, the way the double logo rule is enforced is one of two ways. First the clerks either catch it or they don't and if they don't catch it its fine to run in. Second is you get warned once then second time get dq'd.

-Nolan
06/15/2017 8:57:50 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Yes. Original poster I believe was referring to teams that have athletes who may where different uniforms in different events. All school issued though. Not referring to relay legs mismatching. Say someone runs the 100 meter dash and comes back later and runs in the 200 meter dash with a totally different school issued uniform. That is completely legal. Could be totally different colors. Doesn't matter. No issue.
Yes. Original poster I believe was referring to teams that have athletes who may where different uniforms in different events. All school issued though. Not referring to relay legs mismatching.

Say someone runs the 100 meter dash and comes back later and runs in the 200 meter dash with a totally different school issued uniform. That is completely legal. Could be totally different colors. Doesn't matter. No issue.
06/16/2017 11:13:26 AM
Coach
@vamilesplit I have a couple of questions that maybe some officials can clear up: Let's say an athlete in an individual event is in an illegal uniform and warned by an official prior to running. The athlete is supposed to make the uniform legal, but doesn't and runs the race, finishes, and then gets noticed by an official again. Can he be DQed now that the race is over? Could he be DQed mid-race if the official notices then? Or, is it basically that once the gun goes off, everyone is in the clear as far as uniforms go? Let's now say the kid is not warned by the official prior to getting to the start line. Official on the start line notices and gives a warning then. How is the kid supposed to make it legal by the time the race starts? How much time is given between warning 1 and the DQ? The rule also states that the official must notify the head coach of the school when a warning is issued(Rule 4-3, Penalty for Articles 1-2). If the head coach is not notified, there really should not be a subsequent DQ.
@vamilesplit

I have a couple of questions that maybe some officials can clear up:

Let's say an athlete in an individual event is in an illegal uniform and warned by an official prior to running. The athlete is supposed to make the uniform legal, but doesn't and runs the race, finishes, and then gets noticed by an official again. Can he be DQed now that the race is over? Could he be DQed mid-race if the official notices then? Or, is it basically that once the gun goes off, everyone is in the clear as far as uniforms go?

Let's now say the kid is not warned by the official prior to getting to the start line. Official on the start line notices and gives a warning then. How is the kid supposed to make it legal by the time the race starts? How much time is given between warning 1 and the DQ?

The rule also states that the official must notify the head coach of the school when a warning is issued(Rule 4-3, Penalty for Articles 1-2). If the head coach is not notified, there really should not be a subsequent DQ.
06/17/2017 8:24:20 PM
Coach
@vamilesplit Match is a very open term these days as well. Compression shorts and regular shorts are ruled to be matching.
@vamilesplit

Match is a very open term these days as well. Compression shorts and regular shorts are ruled to be matching.
06/17/2017 8:25:32 PM
Coach
@MileStat I would love to be in that situation where we had other uniforms to change into.
@MileStat

I would love to be in that situation where we had other uniforms to change into.
06/20/2017 12:23:09 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@kshirk The official must make some notation of the warning happening, this is easy to do at states where athletes all have numbered bibs. They can write down the bib and school and should make the coach aware of it. Warnings should only happen at the clerking tent before a race. Sometimes someone will catch it after a race and warn them but any other time is pointless for running events. Change can't be made during a race obviously or if an athlete is running late to check in and jumps into the clerking process but doesn't have time to change. Maybe they get warned there then run... even if they are warned at clerking and then after the race it should only count as once.
@kshirk The official must make some notation of the warning happening, this is easy to do at states where athletes all have numbered bibs. They can write down the bib and school and should make the coach aware of it.

Warnings should only happen at the clerking tent before a race. Sometimes someone will catch it after a race and warn them but any other time is pointless for running events. Change can't be made during a race obviously or if an athlete is running late to check in and jumps into the clerking process but doesn't have time to change. Maybe they get warned there then run... even if they are warned at clerking and then after the race it should only count as once.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.