Class 4 Region B Cross Country Championship 2017
10/22/2017 4:46:46 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
This course is nowhere near ready to host a major championship meet. There are soft spots all over the course where your entire foot just sinks in, not to mention the numerous holes and countless rocks (better described as boulders) that are covered and hidden by overgrown grass. The same massive rocks are strewn all about the gravel trails as well. We are 11 days from running here. I'm hoping there is a plan in place to get the course ready. Right now, you are putting 150+ athletes at risk of injury. This course has not hosted a major invitational in 14 years. While this could be a nice venue, it requires some work. A better plan would have been to run a couple major regular season meets here first, then host regionals in a couple years. Hopefully the powers that be can get this turned around in short order. I would hate to see kids who have worked all season have their chances at state ruined by injury. Injuries are always a possibility, but we should make sure it's not because we are asking them to perform in unsafe conditions.
This course is nowhere near ready to host a major championship meet. There are soft spots all over the course where your entire foot just sinks in, not to mention the numerous holes and countless rocks (better described as boulders) that are covered and hidden by overgrown grass. The same massive rocks are strewn all about the gravel trails as well. We are 11 days from running here. I'm hoping there is a plan in place to get the course ready. Right now, you are putting 150+ athletes at risk of injury.

This course has not hosted a major invitational in 14 years. While this could be a nice venue, it requires some work. A better plan would have been to run a couple major regular season meets here first, then host regionals in a couple years. Hopefully the powers that be can get this turned around in short order. I would hate to see kids who have worked all season have their chances at state ruined by injury. Injuries are always a possibility, but we should make sure it's not because we are asking them to perform in unsafe conditions.
10/22/2017 10:42:10 PM
User
Why isn't the meet at Loriella? Course is already tired and true....the only, only drawback is the parking aspect of the park.
Why isn't the meet at Loriella? Course is already tired and true....the only, only drawback is the parking aspect of the park.
10/23/2017 8:26:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The Region meet is essentially the state semi-final for the sport, run under VHSL. The meet director together with VHSL should do everything possible to insure that the course is up to the high standard required of a meet of this level. That includes safety, accuracy, clearly marked, a map available in advance and a course that in its design and layout is worthy of hosting this meet. I have not seen this course, but given some things that have happened in the last couple of years at the Region meet, I am very concerned by these comments.
The Region meet is essentially the state semi-final for the sport, run under VHSL. The meet director together with VHSL should do everything possible to insure that the course is up to the high standard required of a meet of this level. That includes safety, accuracy, clearly marked, a map available in advance and a course that in its design and layout is worthy of hosting this meet. I have not seen this course, but given some things that have happened in the last couple of years at the Region meet, I am very concerned by these comments.
10/27/2017 10:05:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Now that a course map is available, there are two thoughts that come to mind beyond the footing safety and whether this is an appropriate course for a region meet. 1. There are lots of twists and turns. I trust that the course is well marked and has someone at critical turns. 2. By looking at the map there are several places where it would be quite easy to cut the course, for example on mile two on the little out and back leg. This course will need monitors at several places. Not that any student/athlete would do that... just saying this insures that everything is done right. Like all of us involved I hope, we just want a well run, safe, legitimate meet.
Now that a course map is available, there are two thoughts that come to mind beyond the footing safety and whether this is an appropriate course for a region meet.
1. There are lots of twists and turns. I trust that the course is well marked and has someone at critical turns.

2. By looking at the map there are several places where it would be quite easy to cut the course, for example on mile two on the little out and back leg. This course will need monitors at several places.
Not that any student/athlete would do that... just saying this insures that everything is done right.

Like all of us involved I hope, we just want a well run, safe, legitimate meet.
11/03/2017 10:02:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wanted to follow up with some comments after the Region 4B meet. First, kudos to Courtland for an extremely well run meet. Course was clearly marked. Course guides/monitors at appropriate places. Timing system and results were reliable. Trainer available. All great! But, in my own opinion, this was a case of attempting to make the best of a less than best situation. The course is in no way worthy of being a State Regional course. "The Big Ditch", which they tried to make the best of with mulch, and I appreciate that, shouldn't be in the race once, much less twice. Why not go straight past it and turn on the little gate past the "pig race" area? It was too steep and dangerous. Trees in the middle of the narrow path? And in general, the footing was bad over much of the course. We had two athletes roll ankles on the gravel hill (going down hill) and now a third athlete put in the boot by the doctor from foot sprain. Perhaps if the course had been run over with a car/gator about a dozen times... I don't have a problem with a challenging course. This is cross country, not track. But this course, in its current state, simply does not measure up to the standards for an important meet and should not be used for regions next year.
Wanted to follow up with some comments after the Region 4B meet. First, kudos to Courtland for an extremely well run meet. Course was clearly marked. Course guides/monitors at appropriate places. Timing system and results were reliable. Trainer available. All great!
But, in my own opinion, this was a case of attempting to make the best of a less than best situation. The course is in no way worthy of being a State Regional course. "The Big Ditch", which they tried to make the best of with mulch, and I appreciate that, shouldn't be in the race once, much less twice. Why not go straight past it and turn on the little gate past the "pig race" area? It was too steep and dangerous. Trees in the middle of the narrow path? And in general, the footing was bad over much of the course. We had two athletes roll ankles on the gravel hill (going down hill) and now a third athlete put in the boot by the doctor from foot sprain. Perhaps if the course had been run over with a car/gator about a dozen times...
I don't have a problem with a challenging course. This is cross country, not track. But this course, in its current state, simply does not measure up to the standards for an important meet and should not be used for regions next year.
11/05/2017 10:34:02 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Couldn't agree more. Hence, the reason for my post from the beginning. The big ditch is cool, but should be widened and have the tree in the middle removed. While Courtland did what they could over two days of work, there were still rocks everywhere, and the ground in certain spots was still way too soft. I saw my daughter roll her ankle right in front of me with a 20 second lead and less than 0.5 miles to go; thought she was a goner for sure. Afterwards, she complained about rolling her ankle several times in different spots. Again, this could be a really challenging, really cool course for big-time meets. I mean, the finish through the barn is awesome. The course just needs some more maintenance over the next several years to get it to that level.
Couldn't agree more. Hence, the reason for my post from the beginning. The big ditch is cool, but should be widened and have the tree in the middle removed. While Courtland did what they could over two days of work, there were still rocks everywhere, and the ground in certain spots was still way too soft. I saw my daughter roll her ankle right in front of me with a 20 second lead and less than 0.5 miles to go; thought she was a goner for sure. Afterwards, she complained about rolling her ankle several times in different spots. Again, this could be a really challenging, really cool course for big-time meets. I mean, the finish through the barn is awesome. The course just needs some more maintenance over the next several years to get it to that level.
11/05/2017 10:50:37 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I generally agree with the comments and hope that the regional meet stays at this location. The course was extremely difficult (according to many runners I talked to) and that is just the way I think it should be. I agree the hill and the ditch need some work but that should be an easy fix for next year. The facility itself was awesome!
I generally agree with the comments and hope that the regional meet stays at this location. The course was extremely difficult (according to many runners I talked to) and that is just the way I think it should be. I agree the hill and the ditch need some work but that should be an easy fix for next year. The facility itself was awesome!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.