discus measurement
05/22/2018 6:49:00 PM
Coach
You know you don't have a knowledgeable meet director when he/she allows the discus to be entered into the computer not measured to the nearest lesser inch. It's embarrassing that the state leader in the boys discus has a measurement to the nearest half inch. READ YOUR RULE BOOK!
You know you don't have a knowledgeable meet director when he/she allows the discus to be entered into the computer not measured to the nearest lesser inch. It's embarrassing that the state leader in the boys discus has a measurement to the nearest half inch. READ YOUR RULE BOOK!
05/22/2018 8:54:36 PM
User
Why not point this out to said meet director, instead of posting a passive aggressive post on this message board? Just a thought...
Why not point this out to said meet director, instead of posting a passive aggressive post on this message board? Just a thought...
05/22/2018 10:14:34 PM
Coach
Been there, done that. It has no effect.
Been there, done that. It has no effect.
05/23/2018 7:10:53 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It’s worth posting. I’ve been to several meets where discus results are being entered at the 1/4 inch. It’s not on the meet director....it’s on the discus official to know the rules, and perhaps whomever is doing the results to enter them properly.
It's worth posting. I've been to several meets where discus results are being entered at the 1/4 inch. It's not on the meet director....it's on the discus official to know the rules, and perhaps whomever is doing the results to enter them properly.
05/23/2018 1:40:08 PM
Coach
I agree that it's not always on the meet director. I've hosted plenty of meets where I don't even see the Discus results until the meet is over. Case in point, the Rod Camden Kick Off Classic at the beginning of the season measured all of the Shot Put results to the full inch. Obviously Rod knows his stuff, but once the meet starts rolling it's hard to make sure every event is running exactly as it should.
I agree that it's not always on the meet director. I've hosted plenty of meets where I don't even see the Discus results until the meet is over.
Case in point, the Rod Camden Kick Off Classic at the beginning of the season measured all of the Shot Put results to the full inch. Obviously Rod knows his stuff, but once the meet starts rolling it's hard to make sure every event is running exactly as it should.
05/23/2018 7:11:46 PM
User
Well, I guess as a meet director you make sure you have people who know what they are doing when they are officiating technical events. Wonder why a throws coach didn't jump in and say something? I have done that many times, i would rather tick someone off and have the meet run correctly. When it comes down to it, it is the meet director who has to deal with the mistakes a volunteer makes.
Well, I guess as a meet director you make sure you have people who know what they are doing when they are officiating technical events. Wonder why a throws coach didn't jump in and say something? I have done that many times, i would rather tick someone off and have the meet run correctly. When it comes down to it, it is the meet director who has to deal with the mistakes a volunteer makes.
05/31/2018 11:37:52 PM
Coach
Much ado about nothing for the discus. I'm actually a little surprised most programs aren't built to round the distance down. Racetab will not accept a 1/4 or 1/2 on Discus. Problems happen in almost every meet. I sat and watched the person running the Shot Put at the Dogwood in 2017 measure to the inch and he measured everything from the center of the toe board. Its like the meet director who says the uniform rule is going to be strictly enforced and then one of their athletes competes in compressions that have the full logo on the waistband. Most sports including track need fewer rules. There are still officials out there that refuse to allow relay teams to be in compression and regular cut shorts. This has been on several rules clinic presentations over the years.
Much ado about nothing for the discus. I'm actually a little surprised most programs aren't built to round the distance down. Racetab will not accept a 1/4 or 1/2 on Discus.

Problems happen in almost every meet.

I sat and watched the person running the Shot Put at the Dogwood in 2017 measure to the inch and he measured everything from the center of the toe board.

Its like the meet director who says the uniform rule is going to be strictly enforced and then one of their athletes competes in compressions that have the full logo on the waistband.

Most sports including track need fewer rules.

There are still officials out there that refuse to allow relay teams to be in compression and regular cut shorts. This has been on several rules clinic presentations over the years.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.