State meet venues
06/11/2018 10:33:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Curious if anyone can tell me the process VHSL uses to select the state meet venues. Does it simply to go to lowest bidder? I know there are many 3A and 4A coaches not happy with our current location. Nothing against Harrisonburg High or their people, but the state meet should be run on a college facility like practically every other high school sport in Virginia does.(In fact, does anyone know of a sport that does NOT have their state meet at a college or other non-high school facility?) ) I have been told that JMU has tried to get the meet, but to no avail. Why? Our kids deserve better! We should not have to schedule our meet around the daily schedule of a high school! We should have a clock/scoreboard showing results,kids should have somewhere to warm up for their event, I could go on,,,,our kids deserve better. I know this has been an ongoing issue for the last few years. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated. I know several coaches have told me they mention this to their Athletic Directors, but nothing seems to come of it.
Curious if anyone can tell me the process VHSL uses to select the state meet venues. Does it simply to go to lowest bidder? I know there are many 3A and 4A coaches not happy with our current location. Nothing against Harrisonburg High or their people, but the state meet should be run on a college facility like practically every other high school sport in Virginia does.(In fact, does anyone know of a sport that does NOT have their state meet at a college or other non-high school facility?) ) I have been told that JMU has tried to get the meet, but to no avail. Why? Our kids deserve better! We should not have to schedule our meet around the daily schedule of a high school! We should have a clock/scoreboard showing results,kids should have somewhere to warm up for their event, I could go on,,,,our kids deserve better. I know this has been an ongoing issue for the last few years. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated. I know several coaches have told me they mention this to their Athletic Directors, but nothing seems to come of it.
06/12/2018 12:19:36 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@cawitt That is a good question... I know others bid for it so my best guess would be Harrisonburg got it due to its' location. The VHSL kept saying they want facilities that are centrally located for states. I think that is an odd argument to have when you consider the change from AAA to 6A made the costs go up across the board for them and their member schools. I think also that college locations are a little trickier than they seem. Every one of them says they want you there but for many that is the coach and not the administration. The VHSL does a really good job at reaching out to every venue and facility in the state when it comes to their sports. - Nolan
@cawitt That is a good question... I know others bid for it so my best guess would be Harrisonburg got it due to its' location. The VHSL kept saying they want facilities that are centrally located for states.

I think that is an odd argument to have when you consider the change from AAA to 6A made the costs go up across the board for them and their member schools.

I think also that college locations are a little trickier than they seem. Every one of them says they want you there but for many that is the coach and not the administration. The VHSL does a really good job at reaching out to every venue and facility in the state when it comes to their sports.

* Nolan
06/12/2018 9:26:53 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I understand that JMU may be asking for more $ than is HHS, but the fact that we are holding two state meets together should allow for a higher cost. If they insist on a high school site, they could at least find a high school that is no longer in session so our friday schedule could begin sooner and weekdays could be considered as options, especially in case of rain. It was a shame to see individuals and teams not able to compete on sunday. Felt really bad for Heritage of Lynchburg girls team. They would have been a factor.
I understand that JMU may be asking for more $ than is HHS, but the fact that we are holding two state meets together should allow for a higher cost. If they insist on a high school site, they could at least find a high school that is no longer in session so our friday schedule could begin sooner and weekdays could be considered as options, especially in case of rain. It was a shame to see individuals and teams not able to compete on sunday. Felt really bad for Heritage of Lynchburg girls team. They would have been a factor.
06/12/2018 9:53:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cawitt Were the Heritage of Lynchburg kids not allowed to compete on Sunday by their school? I know there were individuals who would not compete on Sunday (glad my LDS kids were in the 3200 on Saturday), but did an actual school or school system prohibit the whole team from competing? Or was it their graduation or something else?
@cawitt Were the Heritage of Lynchburg kids not allowed to compete on Sunday by their school? I know there were individuals who would not compete on Sunday (glad my LDS kids were in the 3200 on Saturday), but did an actual school or school system prohibit the whole team from competing? Or was it their graduation or something else?
06/12/2018 6:51:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@NOVAAC I believe it was there graduation. They probably place their graduation on sunday thinking nothing will interfere with it.
@NOVAAC
I believe it was there graduation. They probably place their graduation on sunday thinking nothing will interfere with it.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.