How many runners are All-State? 7 or 15?
11/09/2018 11:54:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I forget this every year.
I forget this every year.
11/09/2018 1:21:12 PM
User
Top 15
Top 15
11/09/2018 10:47:59 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Top 15 recognized but top 7 is named all-state. It is on VHSL website or will be later. I even called VHSL last year to confirm this was correct.
Top 15 recognized but top 7 is named all-state. It is on VHSL website or will be later. I even called VHSL last year to confirm this was correct.
11/10/2018 7:38:03 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
But if your girl/boy finishes in top 15, consider them all-state. They deserve it!
But if your girl/boy finishes in top 15, consider them all-state. They deserve it!
11/10/2018 10:42:50 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I've always found the distinction between "medalist" and "all-state" to be odd. If you're called up to the podium at the state meet and presented with a medal for a top 15 finish, you have every reason to believe you are "all-state." It's likely most of the 8th to 15th place finishers think exactly that. And why not?
I've always found the distinction between "medalist" and "all-state" to be odd. If you're called up to the podium at the state meet and presented with a medal for a top 15 finish, you have every reason to believe you are "all-state." It's likely most of the 8th to 15th place finishers think exactly that.

And why not?
11/11/2018 3:27:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@gilmorep I think it should be comparable to other sports. In soccer, for example, 16 players are named All State with an additional 16 being named 2nd team All State. Since 16 exceeds the number of players on a team, you would think that more than 7 would be named in XC, with an equal amount as 2nd team.
@gilmorep

I think it should be comparable to other sports. In soccer, for example, 16 players are named All State with an additional 16 being named 2nd team All State.
Since 16 exceeds the number of players on a team, you would think that more than 7 would be named in XC, with an equal amount as 2nd team.
11/12/2018 8:06:37 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Shirk Now, that's logical.
@Shirk
Now, that's logical.
11/12/2018 8:44:53 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@gilmorep I know. The team sports name a few more than are on the field/court/pitch when the meet starts. Baseball usually throws in a utility player and more than one pitcher. Football has far more than 11 (offense and defense and kickers and returners and more backs and receivers than you can have on the field at once). Soccer has 16 instead of 11. Then they throw in first team and second team and honorable mention. Wow! It is much harder to put All-State in Cross Country on your resume (I hope the colleges know that). Also our region has sub-regions in most sports and you can be named to an all sub-region team, not in cross country. At our athletic awards banquet next week, the other sports (which were not good at all this year, maybe 7 wins among them all PUT TOGETHER will be up there handing out all kinds of all-this and all-that awards. We weren't great, but we were our most successful sport this fall. I have ONE kid who will get an all-anything award (district and region). Our volleyball team that has lost 52 matches in a row, will have more kids get recognized than we will. Our 3-18 field hockey team will have more kids get recognized than we will. Our 2-8 football team will have a plethora of kids named. I don't mind it being tough to get named to these teams. I think it should be, but the other sports sure make it a lot easier. I would say if we did it in a comparable manner to other sports, since we have 7 runners and 3 alternates at States, we would do: 1st - 10th First team all state 11th - 20th Second team all state 21st - 30th Honorable Mention So honoring the top 15 as All-State doesn't really seem excessive. It is crazy if you look at how many kids are getting these awards in team sports at your school and how tough it is in cross country. P.S. I'm not suggesting we're not a team sport, but you know what I mean, they VOTE on theirs, we just look at how they finish.
@gilmorep

I know. The team sports name a few more than are on the field/court/pitch when the meet starts. Baseball usually throws in a utility player and more than one pitcher.

Football has far more than 11 (offense and defense and kickers and returners and more backs and receivers than you can have on the field at once).

Soccer has 16 instead of 11.

Then they throw in first team and second team and honorable mention. Wow! It is much harder to put All-State in Cross Country on your resume (I hope the colleges know that).

Also our region has sub-regions in most sports and you can be named to an all sub-region team, not in cross country.

At our athletic awards banquet next week, the other sports (which were not good at all this year, maybe 7 wins among them all PUT TOGETHER will be up there handing out all kinds of all-this and all-that awards. We weren't great, but we were our most successful sport this fall. I have ONE kid who will get an all-anything award (district and region). Our volleyball team that has lost 52 matches in a row, will have more kids get recognized than we will. Our 3-18 field hockey team will have more kids get recognized than we will. Our 2-8 football team will have a plethora of kids named.

I don't mind it being tough to get named to these teams. I think it should be, but the other sports sure make it a lot easier.

I would say if we did it in a comparable manner to other sports, since we have 7 runners and 3 alternates at States, we would do:

1st - 10th First team all state
11th - 20th Second team all state
21st - 30th Honorable Mention

So honoring the top 15 as All-State doesn't really seem excessive.

It is crazy if you look at how many kids are getting these awards in team sports at your school and how tough it is in cross country.

P.S. I'm not suggesting we're not a team sport, but you know what I mean, they VOTE on theirs, we just look at how they finish.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.