Cost of an indoor track facility.
01/17/2011 3:11:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What would it cost to build an indoor track facility that had a 200 meter banked track and a proper set up for all the field events? If I had won that giant lottery a couple of weeks ago I would have built one. It seems like we've got a sport in the VHSL we don't have the facilities to support.
What would it cost to build an indoor track facility that had a 200 meter banked track and a proper set up for all the field events? If I had won that giant lottery a couple of weeks ago I would have built one. It seems like we've got a sport in the VHSL we don't have the facilities to support.
01/17/2011 5:51:18 PM
Coach
@mattymath.....I am not sure what the cost would be, but you are so right. If I had won that lottery, I would have built a mega facility in the northern part of the state. The three counties(Fairfax, Prince William, and Louden) in the northern part of the state need to get together and build a facility that is shared. Instead of spending all the money to go over to the PG Sports complex. Don't get me wrong! I am thankful for what we do have. Another solution in the north could be re-building the relationship with George Mason University and ask them to host a few indoor meets a year.
@mattymath.....I am not sure what the cost would be, but you are so right. If I had won that lottery, I would have built a mega facility in the northern part of the state. The three counties(Fairfax, Prince William, and Louden) in the northern part of the state need to get together and build a facility that is shared. Instead of spending all the money to go over to the PG Sports complex. Don't get me wrong! I am thankful for what we do have. Another solution in the north could be re-building the relationship with George Mason University and ask them to host a few indoor meets a year.
01/17/2011 10:59:23 PM
User
If your looking to make a Mega facility which will stump the likes of boo williams, PG, and Mason your going to spend around $3 million. The 400m mondo track will cost about 1 million itself so if your getting a 200m one you can cut that in half but if your going for the short sprints (55/60m or hurdles) to be in the center of the track then the track total would probably be around $750,000 range with that including runways for the jumping events as well. The pits and polevault box would probably be in the 20k range. A throwing area would cost only a few thousand for the circle to be embedded in the ground with a removable toeboard for the weight throw as well and then obviously a cage to protect the spectators, so your looking at about $10k with the bulk of that coming in from the cage. Now for the actual facility. If you want a large facilty so we can have adequate seating room which all the facilites in our lovely state lack then your going to be putting in about $1.5million for that which would include concession areas, bathrooms, seating, doors, windows, venting etc. Then you have to take into account of annually/monthly cost of property taxes and leasing of the land. All in all if lashawn merritt, alan webb, and others would like to donate some money and can get some federal grants then this could be a possibilty.
If your looking to make a Mega facility which will stump the likes of boo williams, PG, and Mason your going to spend around $3 million. The 400m mondo track will cost about 1 million itself so if your getting a 200m one you can cut that in half but if your going for the short sprints (55/60m or hurdles) to be in the center of the track then the track total would probably be around $750,000 range with that including runways for the jumping events as well. The pits and polevault box would probably be in the 20k range. A throwing area would cost only a few thousand for the circle to be embedded in the ground with a removable toeboard for the weight throw as well and then obviously a cage to protect the spectators, so your looking at about $10k with the bulk of that coming in from the cage. Now for the actual facility. If you want a large facilty so we can have adequate seating room which all the facilites in our lovely state lack then your going to be putting in about $1.5million for that which would include concession areas, bathrooms, seating, doors, windows, venting etc. Then you have to take into account of annually/monthly cost of property taxes and leasing of the land.

All in all if lashawn merritt, alan webb, and others would like to donate some money and can get some federal grants then this could be a possibilty.
01/18/2011 1:59:10 AM
Coach
What ever happened to the facility that Dre Bly and Merritt we building in VA Beach?
What ever happened to the facility that Dre Bly and Merritt we building in VA Beach?
01/18/2011 9:35:07 AM
User
@okspr95 Cost of a banked track is between 1.5 and 2.3. This would give you a track and field facility similiar to VT. Equipment runs between 191,800 and 201.000 depending on brands and quality. The building itself can be calculated by your local per SQ. foot cost and how many extra's you put in it and what is required by local code. The expensive part is land itself (in the 10M $ range in NOVA) and any infra structure you may have to pay for. (WATER, SEWER, ROADS, types of lots by code) Calculate bleacher seats at $110 per seat. THe VA. Beach complex has never bid a track to any of the 3 companies that have built (banked) them in the past in the U.S.
@okspr95 Cost of a banked track is between 1.5 and 2.3. This would give you a track and field facility similiar to VT. Equipment runs between 191,800 and 201.000 depending on brands and quality. The building itself can be calculated by your local per SQ. foot cost and how many extra's you put in it and what is required by local code. The expensive part is land itself (in the 10M $ range in NOVA) and any infra structure you may have to pay for. (WATER, SEWER, ROADS, types of lots by code) Calculate bleacher seats at $110 per seat. THe VA. Beach complex has never bid a track to any of the 3 companies that have built (banked) them in the past in the U.S.
01/18/2011 10:24:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
THERE SHOULD BE AN INDOOR FACILITY IN NOVA!! A public-private venture would be an ideal way to move the project forward. There has been a lot of talk about such a venture but having the capital and resources to move forward has been a major HURDLE! The number one issue is finding the right team commited to making this a reality. A joint venture with Fairfax & Prince William County plus private investment can be a path for this facility to become a reality.
THERE SHOULD BE AN INDOOR FACILITY IN NOVA!! A public-private venture would be an ideal way to move the project forward. There has been a lot of talk about such a venture but having the capital and resources to move forward has been a major HURDLE! The number one issue is finding the right team commited to making this a reality. A joint venture with Fairfax & Prince William County plus private investment can be a path for this facility to become a reality.
01/18/2011 10:49:45 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachStinger I agree with what everyone has been saying; an indoor track in Northern Virginia NEEDS to be built. From my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), the money is definitely there and almost a decade ago they tried to get this thing done. FCPS gave the park authority the land to build a rec center complete with an indoor 200m track a la PG and GMU but in a revised proposal, the track was scrapped and I believe an indoor soccer field was put in place. FCPS didn't have the guts to take the land back. In my opinion, I think with the current economic state that an indoor track won't be built any time soon. With that being said, hopefully this situation can be rectified when economic times turn for the better. With our own indoor facility, we won't have to worry about indoor track being scrapped with budget proposals and a new facility would also benefit the entire community, not just student athletes.
@CoachStinger I agree with what everyone has been saying; an indoor track in Northern Virginia NEEDS to be built. From my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), the money is definitely there and almost a decade ago they tried to get this thing done. FCPS gave the park authority the land to build a rec center complete with an indoor 200m track a la PG and GMU but in a revised proposal, the track was scrapped and I believe an indoor soccer field was put in place. FCPS didn't have the guts to take the land back. In my opinion, I think with the current economic state that an indoor track won't be built any time soon. With that being said, hopefully this situation can be rectified when economic times turn for the better. With our own indoor facility, we won't have to worry about indoor track being scrapped with budget proposals and a new facility would also benefit the entire community, not just student athletes.
01/18/2011 1:51:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
That is unless one of us wins the lottery
That is unless one of us wins the lottery
01/18/2011 8:01:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
sorry fellas--I win $380 million lottery--Iam outta here!! Gone fishing
sorry fellas--I win $380 million lottery--Iam outta here!! Gone fishing
01/18/2011 9:38:03 PM
User
The most cost effective way is to find an empty warehouse or building that can be turned into an indoor track. I saw a large bowling alley yesterday and thought if that alley ever went out of business it might be the perfect building to gut and put an indoor track in.
The most cost effective way is to find an empty warehouse or building that can be turned into an indoor track. I saw a large bowling alley yesterday and thought if that alley ever went out of business it might be the perfect building to gut and put an indoor track in.
01/19/2011 3:23:08 PM
User
Warehouse idea is great one. Most of them (Large enough) run $70,000 to $120,000 per month plus utilities with 1 year lease and then the track has be custom built to fit around the support pillers. Most local codes call for permanent restrooms. In Richmond there must be a firewall every 50,000 sq. feet and you need at least 60,000 Sq. feet. Boo Williams is 63,000. The bowling ally or an old Lowes superstore would be better. I don't have any idea of the cost of those. Butler U. put up the Hoosier Dome track in a warehouse 1 year, but that track is now at IU. A guy put a flat track down in a warehuse in Wilmington NC several years ago, but went broke halfway throught the 2nd year. He went on the cheep by gluing down the poly portable runways to make the track.
Warehouse idea is great one. Most of them (Large enough) run $70,000 to $120,000 per month plus utilities with 1 year lease and then the track has be custom built to fit around the support pillers. Most local codes call for permanent restrooms. In Richmond there must be a firewall every 50,000 sq. feet and you need at least 60,000 Sq. feet. Boo Williams is 63,000. The bowling ally or an old Lowes superstore would be better. I don't have any idea of the cost of those. Butler U. put up the Hoosier Dome track in a warehouse 1 year, but that track is now at IU. A guy put a flat track down in a warehuse in Wilmington NC several years ago, but went broke halfway throught the 2nd year. He went on the cheep by gluing down the poly portable runways to make the track.
01/19/2011 6:42:54 PM
User
Check out Sports Quest website. This a new sports facility that is currently under construction in Chesterfield County, Virginia. http://www.sportsquest.biz/?opt=home
Check out Sports Quest website. This a new sports facility that is currently under construction in Chesterfield County, Virginia. http://www.sportsquest.biz/?opt=home
01/19/2011 10:01:46 PM
User
SportsQuest has been taking a lot of heat in the local news over the last year-- field-sharing problems with the county, use of taxpayer funds, construction delays, and false promises. I'm not sure that all of it is warranted as I don't know everything about it, but I am sure it has taken its toll. Why would somebody- and it seems to be a small group of large investors - spend close to $200 million to develop a multi-sport Olympic Training Center type facility when the community voices so much opposition so far? I would take my money and investment somewhere that would embrace it with open arms. Whatever happens, I really doubt the feasibility of a private indoor track facility at SportsQuest. Just don't see it fitting in the way we would all want it to. There might be a "Boo Williams"-esq type facility that would replace the Ashe Center as the local meet center, but nothing like the banked 200m stadium that they mention on the campus tour. Hopefully they prove me wrong....
SportsQuest has been taking a lot of heat in the local news over the last year-- field-sharing problems with the county, use of taxpayer funds, construction delays, and false promises. I'm not sure that all of it is warranted as I don't know everything about it, but I am sure it has taken its toll. Why would somebody- and it seems to be a small group of large investors - spend close to $200 million to develop a multi-sport Olympic Training Center type facility when the community voices so much opposition so far? I would take my money and investment somewhere that would embrace it with open arms.

Whatever happens, I really doubt the feasibility of a private indoor track facility at SportsQuest. Just don't see it fitting in the way we would all want it to. There might be a "Boo Williams"-esq type facility that would replace the Ashe Center as the local meet center, but nothing like the banked 200m stadium that they mention on the campus tour. Hopefully they prove me wrong....
01/19/2011 10:56:09 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@woof To put in a 200 meter track requires a big empty box-- as in a big box store. Sadly there are any number of closed K-Marts, Wal-Marts (the type left sitting when the Super Walmarts were developed)and defunct grocery stores in large strip malls. Often much of the strip mall is sitting empty. In most areas there are economic development committees that are looking for ways to eliminate these stagnant areas at a low cost and in a way that potentially contributes to the community and reduces risks of crime in the area. The greater the need for economic development in an area, the more the community aids with planning, funding and tax programs. You don't need a large warehouse near the biggest high schools with the best programs. You need a big empty box in a modest community an hours drive from multiple schools. If you were to find just such an option in southwest Virginia, say in the vicinity of Marion to Wythville (near the 81 cooridor) then you have a chance to draw from a variety of sources. Southwest VA has excellent talent and I imagine you would see the development of indoor programs. You also have top notch talent and a population of near one-half million in East Tennessee that has some of the best talent in the state. While TN doesnt sanction an indoor season, you would get a lot of well coached unattached runners and some growing AAU programs. And finally: North Carolina. Read their blogs. Those coaches are frustrated with the lack of indoor facilities. You would have some of that states best talent within a 2.5 hour drive of the big box facility. They can't even go forward with a state championship. Southwest Virginia has a new Congressman who will need to make a good showing and I believe he has deep pockets. If you can put together a group of focused coaches, a good economic advisory committee and find a community in need, my bet is that you could have a nice 4-6 lane 200-300 meter track with other sporting facilities just like Boo.
@woof To put in a 200 meter track requires a big empty box-- as in a big box store. Sadly there are any number of closed K-Marts, Wal-Marts (the type left sitting when the Super Walmarts were developed)and defunct grocery stores in large strip malls. Often much of the strip mall is sitting empty. In most areas there are economic development committees that are looking for ways to eliminate these stagnant areas at a low cost and in a way that potentially contributes to the community and reduces risks of crime in the area. The greater the need for economic development in an area, the more the community aids with planning, funding and tax programs. You don't need a large warehouse near the biggest high schools with the best programs. You need a big empty box in a modest community an hours drive from multiple schools. If you were to find just such an option in southwest Virginia, say in the vicinity of Marion to Wythville (near the 81 cooridor) then you have a chance to draw from a variety of sources. Southwest VA has excellent talent and I imagine you would see the development of indoor programs. You also have top notch talent and a population of near one-half million in East Tennessee that has some of the best talent in the state. While TN doesnt sanction an indoor season, you would get a lot of well coached unattached runners and some growing AAU programs. And finally: North Carolina. Read their blogs. Those coaches are frustrated with the lack of indoor facilities. You would have some of that states best talent within a 2.5 hour drive of the big box facility. They can't even go forward with a state championship. Southwest Virginia has a new Congressman who will need to make a good showing and I believe he has deep pockets. If you can put together a group of focused coaches, a good economic advisory committee and find a community in need, my bet is that you could have a nice 4-6 lane 200-300 meter track with other sporting facilities just like Boo.
07/28/2011 9:14:06 PM
Coach
@woof Do you know the where abouts of this track in Wilmington, or how one could go about contacting someone about trying to complete this track? I stay in Wilmington and havent heard of any potential indoor tracks in the area.
@woof Do you know the where abouts of this track in Wilmington, or how one could go about contacting someone about trying to complete this track? I stay in Wilmington and havent heard of any potential indoor tracks in the area.
07/28/2011 9:45:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
A lot of the National Guard Armories have hosted Indoor Tracks. The 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore still hosts high school meets. The Washington DC Armory once hosted a major invitational. Aren't there any armories suitable for indoor track in Virginia?
A lot of the National Guard Armories have hosted Indoor Tracks. The 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore still hosts high school meets. The Washington DC Armory once hosted a major invitational.

Aren't there any armories suitable for indoor track in Virginia?
07/29/2011 12:32:01 AM
User
What happened to the indoor facility that was suppose to be being built two years ago in the Hampton Roads area funded Dre Bly? It was hyped up for a while, then sort of fizzled off.
What happened to the indoor facility that was suppose to be being built two years ago in the Hampton Roads area funded Dre Bly? It was hyped up for a while, then sort of fizzled off.
07/29/2011 10:01:56 PM
User
@mattymath - not too shabby considering that they don't support indoor track in Alabama they way that we do in VA http://al.milesplit.com/articles/70617-crossplex-in-birmingham-alabama
@mattymath - not too shabby considering that they don't support indoor track in Alabama they way that we do in VA

http://al.milesplit.com/articles/70617-crossplex-in-birmingham-alabama
07/29/2011 10:55:10 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@TarHoo Mondo is reportedly calling that track in Birmingham the best it has ever built.
@TarHoo Mondo is reportedly calling that track in Birmingham the best it has ever built.
10/31/2013 1:05:29 PM
User
I can see a profit being made from this. If a private company wants to step in and build one I would pay membership to go throw indoors when it's below freezing outside, just to practice. I'm sure many others would love to run and practice pole vault indoors in the dead of winter as well. Just putting a facility somewhere in Arlington, or the Fairfax City area would be great because it would reach a lot of people and the private company would probably be able to get their money back and be profiting fairly quickly.
I can see a profit being made from this. If a private company wants to step in and build one I would pay membership to go throw indoors when it's below freezing outside, just to practice. I'm sure many others would love to run and practice pole vault indoors in the dead of winter as well. Just putting a facility somewhere in Arlington, or the Fairfax City area would be great because it would reach a lot of people and the private company would probably be able to get their money back and be profiting fairly quickly.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.