Monroe Parker Invitational 2011-Meet Information
09/08/2011 7:51:16 AM
User
Why isn't the full set of teams attending posted? Why isn't any information here, including time of events, parking, etc?
Why isn't the full set of teams attending posted? Why isn't any information here, including time of events, parking, etc?
09/08/2011 9:16:08 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
In the approaching 11 year history of MileStat.com, I have never gotten meet information from this meet unfortunately besides coaches occasionally passing along race start times to me.
In the approaching 11 year history of MileStat.com, I have never gotten meet information from this meet unfortunately besides coaches occasionally passing along race start times to me.
09/08/2011 12:17:06 PM
Coach
Race Time Division 8:00 Freshman Boys 8:30 Freshman Girls 9:15 & 9:45 JV Boys 10:15 & 10:45 JV Girls 11:15 Varsity Boys 11:45 Varsity Girls Reminder that the parking lot by the ice cream parlor will not be available. There is parking and shuttle bus service to the park from the Fairfax Baptist Temple on the corner of Fairfax County Parkway and Burke Lake Road.
Race Time Division
8:00 Freshman Boys
8:30 Freshman Girls
9:15 & 9:45 JV Boys
10:15 & 10:45 JV Girls
11:15 Varsity Boys
11:45 Varsity Girls

Reminder that the parking lot by the ice cream parlor will not be available. There is parking and shuttle bus service to the park from the Fairfax Baptist Temple on the corner of Fairfax County Parkway and Burke Lake Road.
09/09/2011 10:42:28 AM
User
Has anyone heard whether they are going to cancel this meet or not?
Has anyone heard whether they are going to cancel this meet or not?
09/09/2011 11:21:57 AM
Coach
@runforlife I was wondering if that bridge area near the lake (crossed at the half mile and 1.5 mile marks) was flooded or not. In the past it's gotten pretty bad there with a lot of rain...
@runforlife

I was wondering if that bridge area near the lake (crossed at the half mile and 1.5 mile marks) was flooded or not. In the past it's gotten pretty bad there with a lot of rain...
09/09/2011 11:31:25 AM
User
I have not driven over to see it. But you're right. It must've over flowed with the amount of rain we've had.
I have not driven over to see it. But you're right. It must've over flowed with the amount of rain we've had.
09/09/2011 11:35:07 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
As of 11:30, there has been no definite word, other than that Friday games and practices are cancelled, and that they are still "working on Monroe Parker". I know that it got rained out in 2008, and we ended up running on a Tuesday, with just the varsity races running. I can't imagine that the park is usable (or safe) to run on this Saturday.
As of 11:30, there has been no definite word, other than that Friday games and practices are cancelled, and that they are still "working on Monroe Parker". I know that it got rained out in 2008, and we ended up running on a Tuesday, with just the varsity races running. I can't imagine that the park is usable (or safe) to run on this Saturday.
09/09/2011 12:32:25 PM
User
@CoachDSM I imagine you're right on the condition of the Park.
@CoachDSM
I imagine you're right on the condition of the Park.
09/09/2011 1:36:04 PM
User
Why all the doom and gloom? What would make the course unsafe? Except for the spot by the train, the course drains well. Where I am the sun is now shining. Hopefully, it will be a great day for racing tomorrow.
Why all the doom and gloom? What would make the course unsafe? Except for the spot by the train, the course drains well. Where I am the sun is now shining. Hopefully, it will be a great day for racing tomorrow.
09/09/2011 1:58:03 PM
User
the meet is postponed until wednesday the 14th
the meet is postponed until wednesday the 14th
09/09/2011 2:10:48 PM
Coach
Meet Wednesday. Will be a JV Race, then Varsity races. The freshman only race has been removed due to time constraints. Athletes should check with their coaches for details. Racing on the course as it is would do significant damage to the start finish areas and the oak tree hill.
Meet Wednesday. Will be a JV Race, then Varsity races. The freshman only race has been removed due to time constraints. Athletes should check with their coaches for details.

Racing on the course as it is would do significant damage to the start finish areas and the oak tree hill.
09/09/2011 2:31:23 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@XCobserver Having seen this course used when it is extremely muddy (and certainly not as flooded as it is right now), it gets very nasty coming down the finishing straight. I remember specifically at regionals in 2004, when it was raining that day, several boys (in the top 10-15) totally eat it when they were starting their kick down the last 200m straight, literally falling on their face from the bad traction. And that was on a day when it hadn't been run on by 5 races earlier. Obviously, this rain has been unfortunate, but meet management has done a great job in getting it rescheduled, even if fewer runners can compete. Safety of the athletes should come first, and no one wants members of their varsity team to get serious injured by running on a course that is too slick to be safe, especially in the season opener.
@XCobserver

Having seen this course used when it is extremely muddy (and certainly not as flooded as it is right now), it gets very nasty coming down the finishing straight. I remember specifically at regionals in 2004, when it was raining that day, several boys (in the top 10-15) totally eat it when they were starting their kick down the last 200m straight, literally falling on their face from the bad traction. And that was on a day when it hadn't been run on by 5 races earlier.

Obviously, this rain has been unfortunate, but meet management has done a great job in getting it rescheduled, even if fewer runners can compete. Safety of the athletes should come first, and no one wants members of their varsity team to get serious injured by running on a course that is too slick to be safe, especially in the season opener.
09/10/2011 12:12:13 PM
User
Have the times been set for the races on Wednesday?
Have the times been set for the races on Wednesday?
09/12/2011 11:04:47 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I have not heard officially from meet management, but word on the street seems to have it as follows: JV Boys I 4:00 pm JV Boys II 4:30 pm JV Girls I 5:00 pm JV Girls II 5:30 pm Varsity Boys 6 pm Varsity Girls 6:30 pm I believe that the JV is divided along the lines of Division 5 vs Division 6 (from Football), with the smaller (Div. 5) schools being Division I JV, and larger (Div. 6) schools being Division II.
I have not heard officially from meet management, but word on the street seems to have it as follows:
JV Boys I 4:00 pm
JV Boys II 4:30 pm
JV Girls I 5:00 pm
JV Girls II 5:30 pm
Varsity Boys 6 pm
Varsity Girls 6:30 pm

I believe that the JV is divided along the lines of Division 5 vs Division 6 (from Football), with the smaller (Div. 5) schools being Division I JV, and larger (Div. 6) schools being Division II.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.