1A/2A Indoor Track Should Change Format for State qualifying.
10/29/2018 11:44:23 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Last year was my schools first year sponsoring indoor track and while it was very interesting and I had some concerns (like setting at meets with 75 teams, running 25 heats of 55) my biggest issue came at the end of the year with qualifying to states. In a nutshell there is a huge difference in the size of the regions. After looking at entries for last year across the board, the I feel that it would be best for 1A/2A to only split into 2 Regions for states and qualify top 6 individuals. When you look at the size of the regions for next year. Last year Region B and C and the most entrants at regionals and A and D were next. However there wasn't as big of a difference between A and B as there will be next year when Maggie Walker moves to 3A. Just some of the numbers I got from last year. (Not counting Maggie Walker, and each relay counting as 1). I have to think that this is what happens every year. Region A Boys=78 Girls=62 Region B Boys=166 Girls=129 Region C Boys=158 Girls=132 Region D Boys=74 Girls=53 If you were to combine Region A/B, and Region C/D the numbers even out much better. A/B Boys=244 A/B Girls=191 C/D Boys-232 C/D Girls=185 This would make for a much more even regional meet. Last year several regions had no qualifiers for some events while others had more than then number of qualifiers. Also, it will save regions money by splitting the cost of indoor facilities and timing. I am aware of those who qualify automatically through meeting state standards but I don't see where this is going to make a huge difference.
Last year was my schools first year sponsoring indoor track and while it was very interesting and I had some concerns (like setting at meets with 75 teams, running 25 heats of 55) my biggest issue came at the end of the year with qualifying to states.

In a nutshell there is a huge difference in the size of the regions. After looking at entries for last year across the board, the I feel that it would be best for 1A/2A to only split into 2 Regions for states and qualify top 6 individuals.

When you look at the size of the regions for next year. Last year Region B and C and the most entrants at regionals and A and D were next. However there wasn't as big of a difference between A and B as there will be next year when Maggie Walker moves to 3A.

Just some of the numbers I got from last year. (Not counting Maggie Walker, and each relay counting as 1). I have to think that this is what happens every year.

Region A Boys=78 Girls=62
Region B Boys=166 Girls=129
Region C Boys=158 Girls=132
Region D Boys=74 Girls=53

If you were to combine Region A/B, and Region C/D the numbers even out much better.
A/B Boys=244 A/B Girls=191
C/D Boys-232 C/D Girls=185

This would make for a much more even regional meet. Last year several regions had no qualifiers for some events while others had more than then number of qualifiers.

Also, it will save regions money by splitting the cost of indoor facilities and timing.

I am aware of those who qualify automatically through meeting state standards but I don't see where this is going to make a huge difference.
10/29/2018 12:38:47 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@rsullins0611 I think one of the biggest factors in those is the geographic separation between schools.
@rsullins0611 I think one of the biggest factors in those is the geographic separation between schools.
10/30/2018 1:20:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@vamilesplit I can't speak to Region A/B on this part but last year Region C/D held their Regional meet at the same place on the same day at the same time. It would have been a perfect size for one regional meet. If Maggie Walker wasn't moving up, I think it would be hard to make any changes but when you have two regions that are really small, and two that are much bigger in this situation. To me that is a perfect time to make a change. No one should be able to qualify for the state meet by just showing up and running. Also, this isn't 3A-6A where there are a good number of competing teams. If you are doing Indoor Track and you are 1A/2A size, I think you have to expect there is going to be a lot of travel. Most of the indoor meets that anyone can attend are at Heritage H.S.-Lynchburg or Liberty, especially this year with Tech closed until next year. Now if you were talking about most other sports I think travel is definitely an issue. There are other things that I guess can be done. Experiment a little. They might come up with something fresh.
@vamilesplit

I can't speak to Region A/B on this part but last year Region C/D held their Regional meet at the same place on the same day at the same time. It would have been a perfect size for one regional meet.

If Maggie Walker wasn't moving up, I think it would be hard to make any changes but when you have two regions that are really small, and two that are much bigger in this situation. To me that is a perfect time to make a change. No one should be able to qualify for the state meet by just showing up and running.

Also, this isn't 3A-6A where there are a good number of competing teams. If you are doing Indoor Track and you are 1A/2A size, I think you have to expect there is going to be a lot of travel. Most of the indoor meets that anyone can attend are at Heritage H.S.-Lynchburg or Liberty, especially this year with Tech closed until next year.

Now if you were talking about most other sports I think travel is definitely an issue.

There are other things that I guess can be done. Experiment a little. They might come up with something fresh.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.