VHSL Group 3A/4A State Outdoor T&F Championships 2018

• Chuck Witt
    Coach
    PRO
    cawitt
    How many will advance from Regionals to State this season? Indoor was only top 3 plus qualifiers by time. Hoping for more (top 6 maybe) for Outdoor. Thanks
  • Chuck Witt
    Coach
    PRO
    cawitt
    Thanks vaulthigher. I was confused when I read the 5A/6A state meet page that states top 6 places advance to states. I then went back and saw these were 2017 meet guidelines, not 2018. So it is top 4. Curious if you (or anyone else) knows how that number was decided on?
  • Coach
    PRO
    kshirk
    On the VHSL site, on the Outdoor Track page under resources, they posted a Regional Verification Form on Friday (4/13) last week. That's the most current form on their site, and it says 4 advance from region to state.
  • User
    PRO
    rsullins
    The VHSL site says top 4 from each region advance. I'm not sure how in this age of info, so many people have different info.
  • Chuck Witt
    Coach
    PRO
    cawitt
    You are so right BBruns4ever! We are in a constant state of confusion thanks to VHSL. They are a perfect example of violating the rule "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" Things were fine in the "good ole days" of 3 divisions. They should have left it well enough alone!
  • User
    PRO
    rsullins
    Agree about the VHSL; but will have to disagree about the "good ole days" they weren't good for the smallest schools in the state. The big schools just don't understand the difference when you are competing against schools twice your size because even under the 3A system it wasnt something that could really happen.
  • Chuck Witt
    Coach
    PRO
    cawitt
    Understand your point and how that was tough on the smaller schools in the state (I am coming from a 2A perspective, division 3 now). Perhaps the VHSL could have gone to 4 divisions and focused the change primarily at helping that issue in 1A. Six divisions is just plain crazy! By the "good ole days" I was thinking about conferences that did not change every two years, conference meets that actually mattered, unlike the district meets of today, having a clear indication of how to qualify for the state meet WHEN the season started, not having two disvisions sharing a venue for the state meets, and having all divisions run the state xc meets on the same day. I miss those things!
  • User
    PRO
    rsullins
    Its amazing that it the VHSL handbook must be difficult to read.

Another situation, that I had to actually get cleared up is with the declaration rule for the postseason because I was looking at region info for one of the other regions which said that you had to list all possible relay participants because they count against your declaration rule. They do NOT count against your declaration rule.

And can someone tell me where it says in the vhsl handbook or federation that you have to tuck in your shirt. Or meet management may require you to tuck in a shirt. No one can usually tell me, and say meet management can require you to tuck in to make sure you don't cover up a number, which most numbers get put so low on the leg especially if they are wearing compression shorts that it doesn't matter.

And there are still people who officiate out there, coaches to, who go crazy when a relay team shows up, with 3 wearing blue spandex/compression, and one wearing regular cut shorts the same color. This was in rules clinics years ago as being legal, but you still have to fight the battle. I actually have uniform short for my girls and the company made a compression/spandex short, and a regular cut short because some like either one but I've still had to fight the battle on something that has been around for awhile.

And those tights that have contrasting stitching. I've had to fight that battle as well. Rule book addresses that it is legal but there are still those who try to make kids change.

It shouldn't be this hard. Most rule books need to be significantly shortened.
  • Chuck Witt
    Coach
    PRO
    cawitt
    Sadly I suspect it is! We are at the mercy of Harrisonburg High School's schedule which means we start later than the other 4 divisions on friday (though 1A/2A might change this year since they are now using a high school facility as well) Our school has graduation that night every year so our seniors either don't compete friday night, miss their graduation or try to rush back and catch a part of it. I know this has been said many times before on this board and elsewhere, but I so wish we had a college venue as does 5A/6A. More flexibility in schedule and would creat the feel/atmospehere of a big meet. Oh well.
  • Nolan Jez
    Site Admin
    PRO
    vamilesplit
    4 Advance from regionals to states according to the VHSL.

The 5A/6A State Meet Director sent us the schedule weeks ago and we got it posted that afternoon. They were even great enough to double and triple check even the field events were correct.

The 3A/4A Meet Staff did not send us the info or maybe forgot to. We tracked it down and will post it to the meet page today!!

Email me if you have any other questions about states and I will be sure to track down those answers for you!

* Nolan (Njez@MileSplit.com)
  • User
    PRO
    rsullins
    While I don't like a lot of things that come through the VHSL. I think one of the best things have done, is rotate the class order in the field events.

Having the same classification start the high jump and long jump at the same time as they did a few years ago was crazy.

I wish they would switch which events are on Friday and Saturday. Rotate boys and girls pole vault days and or switch days for long/triple.