MileStat.com will be on-site with coverage on Friday at Kernstown Battlefield in Winchester, Virginia for the Shenandoah Valley League Meet #2.
First race or wave goes off at 5:30 PM with another wave of 50 runners starting every 2 minutes thereafter.
The first meet of the league series a few weeks ago saw some fast times including West Virginia state champion Larry Josh Edwards posting a 15 minute flat performance and Franklin County sophomore Atchue clocking a lifetime best of 15:24 as the second fastest high school performer in the race.
Race Entries below as well as more meet information as well as the official meet website. There are several important COVID-19 restrictions and protocols in place.
We will try to help in providing race video and photo coverage of the competitors socially distanced. Live results also provided by Blue Ridge Timing.
COVID protocols that will be enforced for the race series:
- The total entry field will be limited to 250 athletes, breaking that field up into 5x 50 athlete waves.
- The park will open exactly 90 minutes prior to each meet, and close exactly 60 minutes from final finisher. Warm up, race, cool down, go home.
- Our starting line is 90 meters wide. We plan to put 50 runners on the starting line, spread out over that 90 meters (which is one runner every 5' 10").
- Each wave will start 90-seconds apart, seeded fastest to slowest, to ensure that no one "catches up" to the wave in front of them.
- The start line we utilize at Kernstown is 675 meters before the first turn, so not only are the athletes already spaced out almost 6 feet at the starting line, but the first 3 minutes of the race will spread the runners out even further as they settle into their comfortable race pace.
- When checking in to their assigned wave, in addition to the spread out starting line, each separate wave will be minimum 50 meters apart from the next.
- NO SPECTATORS will be allowed north of the main road in KBA where the running will take place. One of the largest issues in athletics is spectator control. If we have an opportunity to allow an athletic event to take place, the parents, friends, significant others, etc need to not be selfish and understand they just will not be allowed if this is to take place in order to maintain social distancing protocols. If 16 year old Bobby needs his mom to drive him to the race, she will need to wait in the parking lot for Bobby to finish.
- We will have masked parking lot attendants enforcing social distancing within the parking lot area for any spectators/drivers waiting for their athlete to finish.
- With the exception of warming up, racing, and cooling down, every human on property must wear a mask, even after warming up, but waiting in corral for their next wave to run. Athletes may remove their mask when their wave moves up to the starting line. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to keep a mask on at ALL TIMES.
- There will be no awards ceremony, or any other social gathering on property. Show up, warm up, race, cool down, go home. Awards can be individually picked up at a later date from the Kernstown Battlefield Visitors Center Saturdays/Sundays between 10am to 4pm.
- The athletes will wear color coded bib numbers with two seperate 15' wide finish lines based on that color bib number to further social distance at the end of the race. This will help prevent chaos that typically happens at the end of the race in the finish corral of too many athletes finishing at same time in a small area.
- We will have two certified athletic trainers on site to assist with any post race issues.
- We will require all athletes to supply their own water. Our athletic trainers will have cases of sealed water bottles for emergencies.
- Volunteers (roughly 15 people) will be masked, and aiding in enforcing all of these protocols.
- We will also have hand sanitation stations inside the finish corral, the clerking corral, and entering/exiting the parking lot to cross the street onto the north side of the KBA property.
- In addition, a symptom check form (temperature, symptoms, exposure to COVID+, etc) will be required the day of each race from the athlete in order to participate.
- We will NOT allow day of registration. Only pre-registered athletes will be permitted on "meet side" of property (North side of Battle Park Dr.).