virginia meet of champions
01/10/2014 6:39:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think this is the meet Virginia has needed for along time. It will be great to see top athletes finally be crowned.
I think this is the meet Virginia has needed for along time. It will be great to see top athletes finally be crowned.
01/10/2014 9:03:02 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I like the idea of this meet but I would consider opening it up to the top 3 finishers from each division/private schools in each event.
I like the idea of this meet but I would consider opening it up to the top 3 finishers from each division/private schools in each event.
01/10/2014 9:59:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From what I read it is open to any high school athalete public or private that have won a state title or have qualified through a proformance mark. You can also compete if you are ranked in the top 24 of your event So anyone in top three of a state competition should be able to get in. Only top 12 in certain events like the pole vault get in I hope the VA coaches support this meet it will be very exciting
From what I read it is open to any high school athalete public or private that have won a state title or have qualified through a proformance mark.
You can also compete if you are ranked in the top 24 of your event
So anyone in top three of a state competition should be able to get in.

Only top 12 in certain events like the pole vault get in

I hope the VA coaches support this meet it will be very exciting
01/10/2014 11:47:06 AM
Power User
This is awesome for those kids who don't have indoor track and are banned by the VHSL from running in their sanctioned meets, meaning we have to travel out of state for competition or go to low-level all-comer's meets. My son is going to be thrilled about this!
This is awesome for those kids who don't have indoor track and are banned by the VHSL from running in their sanctioned meets, meaning we have to travel out of state for competition or go to low-level all-comer's meets. My son is going to be thrilled about this!
01/10/2014 12:06:17 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@jamiehiegel I think the meet qualifying system outlines well the type of meet that we are looking to have. We want all the state champions there and then the best of the best in the state regardless of class after that. If we took the 3rd place finisher in many private schools and 1A/2A events over say a faster kid in 6A that finished 4th in their state meet for example, I think we would be going against the purpose of the meet. However, we are definitely recommending athletes and relays who are ranked beyond the top 24 to enter the meet (top 30 for sure, top 40 probably, top 50 you never know) as we don't anticipate too many events will ALL top 24 ranked entered as some will be deciding to focus on other events. Example: Caroline Alcorta could run the 4x800, 1600, and 3200 at the 6A State Meet but opt at this meet to run just the 1000 meter run if she had the auto qualifier time. That would open up another spot in the other events. A team may decide to load down their relays with their top athlete, who didn't run relays the week before and was instead competing in other individual events at their state meet. Just one of several scenarios and flexibility that this meet will offer. Many will be competing in their best and primary event though to see how they truly match up against the best in the state.
@jamiehiegel

I think the meet qualifying system outlines well the type of meet that we are looking to have. We want all the state champions there and then the best of the best in the state regardless of class after that. If we took the 3rd place finisher in many private schools and 1A/2A events over say a faster kid in 6A that finished 4th in their state meet for example, I think we would be going against the purpose of the meet.

However, we are definitely recommending athletes and relays who are ranked beyond the top 24 to enter the meet (top 30 for sure, top 40 probably, top 50 you never know) as we don't anticipate too many events will ALL top 24 ranked entered as some will be deciding to focus on other events.

Example: Caroline Alcorta could run the 4x800, 1600, and 3200 at the 6A State Meet but opt at this meet to run just the 1000 meter run if she had the auto qualifier time. That would open up another spot in the other events. A team may decide to load down their relays with their top athlete, who didn't run relays the week before and was instead competing in other individual events at their state meet.

Just one of several scenarios and flexibility that this meet will offer. Many will be competing in their best and primary event though to see how they truly match up against the best in the state.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.