Article Comment: Official's Corner: Did I False Start or Did The Field?
04/09/2014 12:11:03 PM
User
Hmm, I guess I am a softie :) Whenever I hear the false start gun my first though is what a shame that someone will be DQed. I didn't realize that athletes may use it for an advantage. Even still, I am a firm believer in 2nd chances in all things.
Hmm, I guess I am a softie :) Whenever I hear the false start gun my first though is what a shame that someone will be DQed. I didn't realize that athletes may use it for an advantage. Even still, I am a firm believer in 2nd chances in all things.
04/10/2014 8:31:16 AM
Coach
I think a distinction needs to made between HS and IAAF level competitions. HS by its nature needs to be developmental, therefore a "second chance" strategy makes sense to me. The major argument for the "one and done" rule at the professional level is to package the 100m (premier race) in a more TV friendly format. However, with athlete challenges and deciding whether a runner can compete under protest has actually increased the delay before the restart of the race. Something else needs to be developed.
I think a distinction needs to made between HS and IAAF level competitions. HS by its nature needs to be developmental, therefore a "second chance" strategy makes sense to me. The major argument for the "one and done" rule at the professional level is to package the 100m (premier race) in a more TV friendly format. However, with athlete challenges and deciding whether a runner can compete under protest has actually increased the delay before the restart of the race. Something else needs to be developed.
04/14/2014 8:00:40 PM
User
I think a happy medium could be reached if each athlete was given two chances, so the first athlete would be punished, but would still receive a second chance.
I think a happy medium could be reached if each athlete was given two chances, so the first athlete would be punished, but would still receive a second chance.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.