George Mason
12/16/2016 10:03:16 PM
User
I am sure it has been mentioned, but what is the deal with George Mason not having, allowing or hosting HS meets? You would think they would love to have HS meets and the gold mine that they bring, paid entry for spectators, entry fees from schools, kids and those attending buying concessions, etc... It is crazy to me that a school would turn their backs on hosting HS meets. What is the real reason?
I am sure it has been mentioned, but what is the deal with George Mason not having, allowing or hosting HS meets?

You would think they would love to have HS meets and the gold mine that they bring, paid entry for spectators, entry fees from schools, kids and those attending buying concessions, etc... It is crazy to me that a school would turn their backs on hosting HS meets.

What is the real reason?
12/16/2016 11:36:27 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Not everyone school sees hosting meet as appealing. Though the NOVA coaches can speak more to this since they have been around for longer, that seems to be the simple answer. They don't want high schoolers and high school meets at their facility. CNU used to host regionals/conferences before Boo Williams and even though VA has quite a lot of tracks relative to our size, not all of them are super eager to have high school meets. -Nolan
Not everyone school sees hosting meet as appealing. Though the NOVA coaches can speak more to this since they have been around for longer, that seems to be the simple answer. They don't want high schoolers and high school meets at their facility.

CNU used to host regionals/conferences before Boo Williams and even though VA has quite a lot of tracks relative to our size, not all of them are super eager to have high school meets.

-Nolan
12/17/2016 3:56:55 AM
User
@vamilesplit I see where you are coming from, but not having or wanting potential students on your campus for a one or two day meet is crazy. You would think that having a meet would be a good recruiting tool... I guess I was spoiled when I came down from up north. Our state did not sponsor an indoor season, but a group of coaches and fans have set up the indoor meet schedule...all of the meets are run at universities, colleges and community colleges. The schools coaching staff usually runs the FAT system, they charge between 5 and 10 a head, both spectators and athletes and the season ends in a two day state meet. The host schools fight to host more meets as it is a great tool to get kids on campus and to recruit future student athletes.
@vamilesplit I see where you are coming from, but not having or wanting potential students on your campus for a one or two day meet is crazy. You would think that having a meet would be a good recruiting tool...

I guess I was spoiled when I came down from up north. Our state did not sponsor an indoor season, but a group of coaches and fans have set up the indoor meet schedule...all of the meets are run at universities, colleges and community colleges. The schools coaching staff usually runs the FAT system, they charge between 5 and 10 a head, both spectators and athletes and the season ends in a two day state meet.

The host schools fight to host more meets as it is a great tool to get kids on campus and to recruit future student athletes.
12/17/2016 8:59:56 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
The Mason facility is a Rec facility and and athletic facility. It has to serve the general Mason student population and the athletic dept as a result it is always in use - in addition it is extremely expensive to rent.
The Mason facility is a Rec facility and and athletic facility. It has to serve the general Mason student population and the athletic dept as a result it is always in use - in addition it is extremely expensive to rent.
12/19/2016 5:51:09 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I don’t often chime in on discussions here (read: never), but on this topic, I can probably shed more light than most. I have been here for 11 years, first as Head Men’s Coach and, now, as the Director of T&F/XC. When I first arrived, Mason hosted several HS meets, most notably the Northern Region meet and the AAA State Championships but that has tailed off for a variety of reasons. I forget what year was the last year the AAA State Meet was held here, but it coincided with the Boo Williams facility coming on-line. When that happened, the VHSL made the decision for a variety of reasons, to move the championships to that facility. It was not because of any decision we made to end the relationship. With the Northern Region meet, the last year it was scheduled here created a tough situation. The meet was initially scheduled for its usual days/dates on Fri evening and Saturday. There was an ice storm which resulted in the cancellation of the meet for the originally scheduled dates and a postponement of the meet. Unfortunately, with the tight scheduling of our facility, there were no future dates available/open for the time it would take to run a meet of this size and scope. After that year, the entity who decides these things (VHSL? NoVa HS coaches?) made the decision to move to PG to ensure availability. Rest assured, we would love to have these meets back at our facility, however, we also have some policies and procedures in place that make it challenging. 1). This is a multi-use facility. We also are regularly used by baseball, softball, both men’s and women’s soccers, wrestling, rowing and lacrosse in addition to track and field. While those teams endeavor to practice outside, with the variability of the weather, they are often forced inside especially in late February and early March. Consequently, when reserving space for those team’s needs, coaches plan ahead and ask for times. Wrestling never practices/competes outside, but they do host several large tournaments in this building as well. Consequently, it is in almost constant use by someone. 2). Because of the many, many demands on the facilities here, there is a pecking order for event scheduling priorities. First, all varsity athletic requests for practice and competition are scheduled. Then, internal camps/clinics and events (i.e. camps or clinics run directly by our teams) are given priority. Finally, outside rentals (of which, the various HS meets would be one type) are accommodated. Consequently, finding large blocks of time when there are no teams here using the facility and there are no camps/clinics, etc. is very difficult. This is the problem with either moving existing events - like the Northern Region meet when it was cancelled, we simply had no room to reschedule it – or bringing in/back new events. Scheduling a two-day, full track meet which takes the whole facility is challenging. Comparatively, a 3-hour softball clinic or lacrosse camp is much easier. Even when we host home track meets for our own teams, often the other sports have early morning or late evening practice slots in order to accommodate us. I know that, since the Northern Region and State meets have vacated their slots, those spaces have been more than filled by other events… 3). I cannot directly speak to the costs associated with our facility compared to others, but I would *guess* that privately run facilities such as Liberty and Boo Williams may have more flexibility with pricing than we do. I am not sure how other state-owned facilities (CNU, Tech) operate, but do I know we have very stringent insurance coverage that is mandated by the state, as well as other significant, associated costs – janitorial, police and medical coverage – depending on the size of the events, which, for track, is sizeable. 4). As far as the recruiting component, while it is nice to get large numbers of prospective student-athletes on campus for a meet, it didn’t always work to be as big an advantage as advertised. While the high schools are in season, so are we. I only was able to be at a couple of State meets because we were gone competing about half of the time and I never saw a Northern Region meet here in the building because we were definitely gone all of those weekends. Remember, when the high schools are here, our team gets kicked out of the building too and we are often competing elsewhere. So, while it is nice to have people on campus, it doesn’t really translate completely into a recruiting tool. 5). As far as the track coaches *wanting* to have meets here, that is a very, very small piece of the puzzle. We can *want* to have all the meets here we can, but the real decisions and onus for working out the details, hashing out the finances, staffing, scheduling, coming to agreements about hosting events and, ultimately, working the arranged events happens way, way above our pay grade. The days of the track coaches (or any coaches, for that matter) having control over their little facility “kingdoms” is long gone. I can agree to anything I want, but at least here we have a great facility management staff and an event management staff who are headed by senior level administrators responsible for these types of things. Ours are tremendous and really, really bust their butts to put on excellent meets, games, matches and tournaments, but I know that they are often balancing 3 or 4 or more events every weekend already. Every sport’s coach wants to get the big HS events on campus but they can’t all fit. It isn’t up to me just like it isn’t up to the swim coach or the basketball coach or any other coach. I can advocate and advise, but I’m not working the event and it’s not my facility, so ultimately it’s not my decision. Bottom line, as I noted initially, we would be all for getting more, young track and field athletes on our campus, but it is difficult to serve two masters and we are ultimately beholden to support George Mason’s teams. It is the mission of our facility, our event staff and coaching staff, first and foremost, and other events, unfortunately, are secondary to that. Just an inside perspective…
I don't often chime in on discussions here (read: never), but on this topic, I can probably shed more light than most. I have been here for 11 years, first as Head Men's Coach and, now, as the Director of T&F/XC. When I first arrived, Mason hosted several HS meets, most notably the Northern Region meet and the AAA State Championships but that has tailed off for a variety of reasons.
I forget what year was the last year the AAA State Meet was held here, but it coincided with the Boo Williams facility coming on-line. When that happened, the VHSL made the decision for a variety of reasons, to move the championships to that facility. It was not because of any decision we made to end the relationship. With the Northern Region meet, the last year it was scheduled here created a tough situation. The meet was initially scheduled for its usual days/dates on Fri evening and Saturday. There was an ice storm which resulted in the cancellation of the meet for the originally scheduled dates and a postponement of the meet. Unfortunately, with the tight scheduling of our facility, there were no future dates available/open for the time it would take to run a meet of this size and scope. After that year, the entity who decides these things (VHSL? NoVa HS coaches?) made the decision to move to PG to ensure availability. Rest assured, we would love to have these meets back at our facility, however, we also have some policies and procedures in place that make it challenging.
1). This is a multi-use facility. We also are regularly used by baseball, softball, both men's and women's soccers, wrestling, rowing and lacrosse in addition to track and field. While those teams endeavor to practice outside, with the variability of the weather, they are often forced inside especially in late February and early March. Consequently, when reserving space for those team's needs, coaches plan ahead and ask for times. Wrestling never practices/competes outside, but they do host several large tournaments in this building as well. Consequently, it is in almost constant use by someone.
2). Because of the many, many demands on the facilities here, there is a pecking order for event scheduling priorities. First, all varsity athletic requests for practice and competition are scheduled. Then, internal camps/clinics and events (i.e. camps or clinics run directly by our teams) are given priority. Finally, outside rentals (of which, the various HS meets would be one type) are accommodated. Consequently, finding large blocks of time when there are no teams here using the facility and there are no camps/clinics, etc. is very difficult. This is the problem with either moving existing events - like the Northern Region meet when it was cancelled, we simply had no room to reschedule it -- or bringing in/back new events. Scheduling a two-day, full track meet which takes the whole facility is challenging. Comparatively, a 3-hour softball clinic or lacrosse camp is much easier. Even when we host home track meets for our own teams, often the other sports have early morning or late evening practice slots in order to accommodate us. I know that, since the Northern Region and State meets have vacated their slots, those spaces have been more than filled by other events…
3). I cannot directly speak to the costs associated with our facility compared to others, but I would *guess* that privately run facilities such as Liberty and Boo Williams may have more flexibility with pricing than we do. I am not sure how other state-owned facilities (CNU, Tech) operate, but do I know we have very stringent insurance coverage that is mandated by the state, as well as other significant, associated costs -- janitorial, police and medical coverage -- depending on the size of the events, which, for track, is sizeable.
4). As far as the recruiting component, while it is nice to get large numbers of prospective student-athletes on campus for a meet, it didn't always work to be as big an advantage as advertised. While the high schools are in season, so are we. I only was able to be at a couple of State meets because we were gone competing about half of the time and I never saw a Northern Region meet here in the building because we were definitely gone all of those weekends. Remember, when the high schools are here, our team gets kicked out of the building too and we are often competing elsewhere. So, while it is nice to have people on campus, it doesn't really translate completely into a recruiting tool.
5). As far as the track coaches *wanting* to have meets here, that is a very, very small piece of the puzzle. We can *want* to have all the meets here we can, but the real decisions and onus for working out the details, hashing out the finances, staffing, scheduling, coming to agreements about hosting events and, ultimately, working the arranged events happens way, way above our pay grade. The days of the track coaches (or any coaches, for that matter) having control over their little facility "kingdoms" is long gone. I can agree to anything I want, but at least here we have a great facility management staff and an event management staff who are headed by senior level administrators responsible for these types of things. Ours are tremendous and really, really bust their butts to put on excellent meets, games, matches and tournaments, but I know that they are often balancing 3 or 4 or more events every weekend already. Every sport's coach wants to get the big HS events on campus but they can't all fit. It isn't up to me just like it isn't up to the swim coach or the basketball coach or any other coach. I can advocate and advise, but I'm not working the event and it's not my facility, so ultimately it's not my decision.
Bottom line, as I noted initially, we would be all for getting more, young track and field athletes on our campus, but it is difficult to serve two masters and we are ultimately beholden to support George Mason's teams. It is the mission of our facility, our event staff and coaching staff, first and foremost, and other events, unfortunately, are secondary to that. Just an inside perspective…
12/20/2016 2:33:23 PM
User
Thank you.....this was what I was looking for.
Thank you.....this was what I was looking for.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.