VHSL Group 3A East Region Outdoor T & F Championships 2017
05/25/2017 8:21:27 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Can anyone help? Why are the State and Regional Qualifying times reversed? It appears on almost all of the races, that the State time is slower than the regional time. This can't be possible makes little sense. If it is confusing to coaches, imagine the kids? The State time should always be lower (Faster). Example: Event 18 Boys 100 Meter Dash (27) Prelims 3A State Qua: 11.33 3A East Reg: 11.23
Can anyone help? Why are the State and Regional Qualifying times reversed?
It appears on almost all of the races, that the State time is slower than the regional time. This can't be possible makes little sense. If it is confusing to coaches, imagine the kids?

The State time should always be lower (Faster).

Example:

Event 18 Boys 100 Meter Dash (27) Prelims
3A State Qua: 11.33
3A East Reg: 11.23
05/26/2017 6:56:29 AM
User
First off, I know nothing of 3A and your region. But, in the past, and I am almost certain this is current practice, the region Q times and state for that matter, are an average of a certain place over a certain amount of time. That being said, if you are in a sprint heavy region have a good tail wind for a few years, Q times to the regional meet might be tough. Then you get to the state meet and you have a cold day with a headwind, thus slowing times and the average used for state Q times. Second, if you had questions about Q times, why didnt you bring it up to your ADs or your regional meet director earlier in the spring?
First off, I know nothing of 3A and your region. But, in the past, and I am almost certain this is current practice, the region Q times and state for that matter, are an average of a certain place over a certain amount of time. That being said, if you are in a sprint heavy region have a good tail wind for a few years, Q times to the regional meet might be tough. Then you get to the state meet and you have a cold day with a headwind, thus slowing times and the average used for state Q times.

Second, if you had questions about Q times, why didnt you bring it up to your ADs or your regional meet director earlier in the spring?
05/26/2017 7:59:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would assume that the printer of the program or the web typer just reversed them. What the previous answer said was correct basically. If that situation does occur however, the region time just becomes the state time. At no time is the region time officially faster than the state time even if it really mathematically works out that way.
I would assume that the printer of the program or the web typer just reversed them. What the previous answer said was correct basically. If that situation does occur however, the region time just becomes the state time. At no time is the region time officially faster than the state time even if it really mathematically works out that way.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.