3A/4A meet vs 1A/2A meet
06/02/2018 8:55:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 219
Totally baffled here. How did the 1A/2A meet get completed? They were less than 20 miles from Harrisonburg where the 3A/4A meet is not even half way finished! Same weather conditions, so what did they do differently? I just hope our meet can get completed tomorrow (sunday) as rain is still on the forecast. Any insight on this?
Totally baffled here. How did the 1A/2A meet get completed? They were less than 20 miles from Harrisonburg where the 3A/4A meet is not even half way finished! Same weather conditions, so what did they do differently? I just hope our meet can get completed tomorrow (sunday) as rain is still on the forecast. Any insight on this?
06/02/2018 9:39:42 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 398
@cawitt Hey! So I have always had issues with HHS hosting the state meet, yeah it is a really pretty facility but it does not bode well for competition at this level. Not sure if East Rockingham is any better. Haven't heard any complaints from them though. What I did hear though was the water was not draining from the track at HHS and that roads around the area and facility were flooded or flooding. Overall a not-so-safe place to be with busses and tons of cars. I was asking that question the entire time and baffled. I do however think that it was the right call to postpone competition for 3A4A due to facility conditions and not necessarily the weather. 1A2A drained pretty decently and anyone who has been to enough high school facilities knows that some just drain way better than others. 5A/6A did not receive a drop of rain until after awards... not sure if it was luck or location. We need an expert in weather to tell us if the Mountains cause more rain than 757. If so it should move if this keeps happening.
@cawitt Hey! So I have always had issues with HHS hosting the state meet, yeah it is a really pretty facility but it does not bode well for competition at this level.

Not sure if East Rockingham is any better. Haven't heard any complaints from them though.

What I did hear though was the water was not draining from the track at HHS and that roads around the area and facility were flooded or flooding. Overall a not-so-safe place to be with busses and tons of cars.

I was asking that question the entire time and baffled. I do however think that it was the right call to postpone competition for 3A4A due to facility conditions and not necessarily the weather.

1A2A drained pretty decently and anyone who has been to enough high school facilities knows that some just drain way better than others.

5A/6A did not receive a drop of rain until after awards... not sure if it was luck or location.

We need an expert in weather to tell us if the Mountains cause more rain than 757. If so it should move if this keeps happening.
06/02/2018 9:40:02 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 49
@cawitt As someone who was at 3A/4A, the right decision was definitely made to can today's events there. We could have been there till late tonight waiting and simply hoping for a break, which didn't seem to be happening either with flooding or lightning/thunder. Field events venues were only getting worse and worse. I could see a kid easily breaking something in the hurdles easily that they were trying to restart the meet with after the initial delay. I also saw while leaving the meet many nearby creeks and standing bodies of water overflowing including a road that many were taking to exit and head home or to hotels after the meet that was about to be washed away. Think if a bus of kids was traveling on that road once the water level reached a high enough point that was certain about to crest over. Can't speak on the weather at 1A/2A, but had to be something miraculous and luck given how close they were that they were not in a flash food and constant/steady dose of lighting/thunder that we were experiencing for hours at Harrisonburg High. As both were valid reasons for 3A/4A to try for another day. If they had opted to run off events today at 3A/4A, it would have been the worst and most unsafe conditions that I think any of those athletes would have had to compete in any other meets prior. Any other meets prior would have canceled if weather got to the point it did today. Not sure how weather works with the mountains and valleys in the area to have such drastic differences in venues in fairly close proximity to one another. Its bizarre that 1A/2A wasn't experiencing the same kind of weather to force delay/postponement.
@cawitt As someone who was at 3A/4A, the right decision was definitely made to can today's events there. We could have been there till late tonight waiting and simply hoping for a break, which didn't seem to be happening either with flooding or lightning/thunder. Field events venues were only getting worse and worse. I could see a kid easily breaking something in the hurdles easily that they were trying to restart the meet with after the initial delay.

I also saw while leaving the meet many nearby creeks and standing bodies of water overflowing including a road that many were taking to exit and head home or to hotels after the meet that was about to be washed away. Think if a bus of kids was traveling on that road once the water level reached a high enough point that was certain about to crest over.

Can't speak on the weather at 1A/2A, but had to be something miraculous and luck given how close they were that they were not in a flash food and constant/steady dose of lighting/thunder that we were experiencing for hours at Harrisonburg High. As both were valid reasons for 3A/4A to try for another day. If they had opted to run off events today at 3A/4A, it would have been the worst and most unsafe conditions that I think any of those athletes would have had to compete in any other meets prior. Any other meets prior would have canceled if weather got to the point it did today.

Not sure how weather works with the mountains and valleys in the area to have such drastic differences in venues in fairly close proximity to one another. Its bizarre that 1A/2A wasn't experiencing the same kind of weather to force delay/postponement.
06/02/2018 9:43:18 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 49
Don't think any venue regardless of drainage system or geographic location would have been suitable for the fury that mother nature unleashed today in Harrisonburg. Been to a lot of meets and that weather was easily one of the worst to successfully attempt to run off a meet. Especially cause the weather system just sat there all day and wasn't just blowing through quick like a fast moving storm cell.
Don't think any venue regardless of drainage system or geographic location would have been suitable for the fury that mother nature unleashed today in Harrisonburg. Been to a lot of meets and that weather was easily one of the worst to successfully attempt to run off a meet. Especially cause the weather system just sat there all day and wasn't just blowing through quick like a fast moving storm cell.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.