Coaching high school football in greater Richmond is a 12-month job on a 3-month salary
12/15/2018 5:05:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This was in today's Richmond Times dispatch.... Would be great to have track coaches commments... [url=https://www.richmond.com/sports/high-school/plus/coaching-high-school-football-in-greater-richmond-is-a-/article_4ee247dc-ffac-11e8-901e-5f73d387a81d.html]https://www.richmond.com/sports/high-school/plus/coaching-high-school-football-in-greater-richmond-is-a-/article_4ee247dc-ffac-11e8-901e-5f73d387a81d.html[/url]
12/16/2018 8:12:07 AM
User
Can't get to the article, but I suspect the head coaches make, in those 3 months, more than a xc, assistant indoor, outdoor coach make all year long. (and put WAY less mileage on their cars!)
Can't get to the article, but I suspect the head coaches make, in those 3 months, more than a xc, assistant indoor, outdoor coach make all year long. (and put WAY less mileage on their cars!)
12/19/2018 7:58:57 AM
User
Interesting article with a lot of similarities for most sports. I think as XC/Track coaches we are in a different group because our sport is year round with some down time here and there between seasons. AND we are now and will always be in the lower range of paid coaches. I think most will agree that the pay for coaching overall is super low. However if a coach is going to ever get EXTRA money for other duties those would likely go towards a Football or Basketball coach. I have seen it in various schools where the football coaches gets an extra stipend to cover the weight room during out of season times. This seems to backdoor help with 7 on 7 times in the spring. In my opinion what would be GREAT would be more pay for teachers and staff salaries that way the coaching amount would not seem as bad. This is coming from someone that has worked as a School Counselor and Coach for 20 years. Just my thoughts...
Interesting article with a lot of similarities for most sports. I think as XC/Track coaches we are in a different group because our sport is year round with some down time here and there between seasons. AND we are now and will always be in the lower range of paid coaches.
I think most will agree that the pay for coaching overall is super low. However if a coach is going to ever get EXTRA money for other duties those would likely go towards a Football or Basketball coach. I have seen it in various schools where the football coaches gets an extra stipend to cover the weight room during out of season times. This seems to backdoor help with 7 on 7 times in the spring.
In my opinion what would be GREAT would be more pay for teachers and staff salaries that way the coaching amount would not seem as bad. This is coming from someone that has worked as a School Counselor and Coach for 20 years.
Just my thoughts...
12/19/2018 12:16:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@chcox My pay is ridiculously low. So are our football coaches' pay. All of the coaches' get paid ridiculously low amounts. I never want to be in a war with the other coaches about pay. I think we're more effective banding together. I have coached baseball, football, track and cross country and I honestly believe that cross country is the easiest (Or maybe I perceive it that way because it is the most fun), but I also agree that I burn a lot of my up driving around all year (probably all of it). Bottom line, I don't begrudge football coaches anything they make. It's not enough in my opionion. A lot more pressure to win. My wife was a high school principal and use to get pressure from the public to fire the football coach whenever they had a bad few games (and not even at a football school), never any of the other coaches. The amount of time and work with equipment and the sheer number of kids in football was quite crazy. We all work 12 months on our sport, and we all deserve more pay, but I'd rather have my pay pulled up than the football coach's pay pulled down.
@chcox

My pay is ridiculously low. So are our football coaches' pay. All of the coaches' get paid ridiculously low amounts.

I never want to be in a war with the other coaches about pay. I think we're more effective banding together.

I have coached baseball, football, track and cross country and I honestly believe that cross country is the easiest (Or maybe I perceive it that way because it is the most fun), but I also agree that I burn a lot of my up driving around all year (probably all of it).

Bottom line, I don't begrudge football coaches anything they make. It's not enough in my opionion. A lot more pressure to win. My wife was a high school principal and use to get pressure from the public to fire the football coach whenever they had a bad few games (and not even at a football school), never any of the other coaches.

The amount of time and work with equipment and the sheer number of kids in football was quite crazy.

We all work 12 months on our sport, and we all deserve more pay, but I'd rather have my pay pulled up than the football coach's pay pulled down.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.