Imposed restrictions on summer running
06/05/2019 11:44:08 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I am curious to know if other schools have restrictions put on their summer running programs. I help at Western Albemarle where every year we have new guidelines to follow. Now we are being told we can only hold summer running practices on Mon - Thurs at the school from 8-10 with a trainer present. Over the past several years we have been holding our optional summer runs (mon, wed sat) at 7:00 am on mostly shaded dirt roads. Now we have to run later in the day on asphalt (there is no more grass around Western) and can't run together on the weekends. We have almost nowhere safe to run around our school, we no longer even have a cross-country course due to the uncontrolled development in our area. (we havn't been able to host a track meet in several years due to the poor condition our track is in, but sorry, I digressed). I would appreciate any feedback from others whom have had to deal with these type of restrictions or any others and how you managed to deal with them , if you even could. I know we could just tell our kids to run on their own, but I help with the girls team and that simply is not a good option here. Thank you.
I am curious to know if other schools have restrictions put on their summer running programs. I help at Western Albemarle where every year we have new guidelines to follow. Now we are being told we can only hold summer running practices on Mon - Thurs at the school from 8-10 with a trainer present. Over the past several years we have been holding our optional summer runs (mon, wed sat) at 7:00 am on mostly shaded dirt roads. Now we have to run later in the day on asphalt (there is no more grass around Western) and can't run together on the weekends. We have almost nowhere safe to run around our school, we no longer even have a cross-country course due to the uncontrolled development in our area. (we havn't been able to host a track meet in several years due to the poor condition our track is in, but sorry, I digressed). I would appreciate any feedback from others whom have had to deal with these type of restrictions or any others and how you managed to deal with them , if you even could. I know we could just tell our kids to run on their own, but I help with the girls team and that simply is not a good option here. Thank you.
06/05/2019 12:25:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cawitt One option could be to join in or start a local running club - have the kids and the coaches be members of the club which would allow you all to get together without the restrictions of the school, and be covered by insurance through Road Runners Club of America.
@cawitt One option could be to join in or start a local running club - have the kids and the coaches be members of the club which would allow you all to get together without the restrictions of the school, and be covered by insurance through Road Runners Club of America.
06/05/2019 1:16:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BBruns4ever, I believe that is an option our boys coach has, or is, looking into doing. We may begin to explore that for the girls. Thanks.
@BBruns4ever, I believe that is an option our boys coach has, or is, looking into doing. We may begin to explore that for the girls. Thanks.
06/05/2019 9:57:44 PM
User
My question is, why you do have to have summer practice, of which sounds pretty formal? Why not have your captains run a practice? You give them the workouts and run and they meet to get the work in. That way you don't have the responsibility and you get a break from the daily practice grind. I love my kids, but i need a break from the whole scene, at least for a couple of weeks!
My question is, why you do have to have summer practice, of which sounds pretty formal? Why not have your captains run a practice? You give them the workouts and run and they meet to get the work in. That way you don't have the responsibility and you get a break from the daily practice grind.

I love my kids, but i need a break from the whole scene, at least for a couple of weeks!
06/06/2019 6:46:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@frankrizzo, our head coach does not coach track and the two of us do take a couple of weeks off, but the real reason we want to be there is that the 3 of us truly enjoy running with our girls. We take vacations as well, so rarely are all 3 of us there on the same days and its not as formal as it perhaps sounds. Its certainly not mandatory and I would estimate we get approx 50% turnout most days with a different group there everyday. Aside from enjoying running with them, we want to create the safest environment possible, which is why we run at 7:00 am on shaded roads with little traffic (getting very hard to find around here) and with some adult supervision (us and some parents who come run). We occasionally have members of other teams run with us, along with some of the boys from our school. It is particularly helpful for one of us to be present to make sure they get off to a good safe start to running cross-country and to make sure they don't try to do too much. We truly enjoy the summer running with the girls, but if Albemarle County continues to impose more restrictions, we may eventually have to form a running club (lots of fees) or take your suggestion and let the girls be on their own. We hope it does not come to that.
@frankrizzo, our head coach does not coach track and the two of us do take a couple of weeks off, but the real reason we want to be there is that the 3 of us truly enjoy running with our girls. We take vacations as well, so rarely are all 3 of us there on the same days and its not as formal as it perhaps sounds. Its certainly not mandatory and I would estimate we get approx 50% turnout most days with a different group there everyday. Aside from enjoying running with them, we want to create the safest environment possible, which is why we run at 7:00 am on shaded roads with little traffic (getting very hard to find around here) and with some adult supervision (us and some parents who come run). We occasionally have members of other teams run with us, along with some of the boys from our school. It is particularly helpful for one of us to be present to make sure they get off to a good safe start to running cross-country and to make sure they don't try to do too much. We truly enjoy the summer running with the girls, but if Albemarle County continues to impose more restrictions, we may eventually have to form a running club (lots of fees) or take your suggestion and let the girls be on their own. We hope it does not come to that.
06/06/2019 11:43:27 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cawitt I would also say that summer is a great time to get in a lot of good work that can't necessarily happen during the season. The athletes generally have more time in the day to get rest without the stresses of school, and it makes them far more prepared for the season and racing when that all starts up compared to those who don't participate in summer training. I think breaks are a good thing, but personally for me I feel reinvigorated with the start of summer training and don't feel the need to get away from my kids or the grind of hard work. We've definitely benefited from utilizing the summers well.
@cawitt I would also say that summer is a great time to get in a lot of good work that can't necessarily happen during the season. The athletes generally have more time in the day to get rest without the stresses of school, and it makes them far more prepared for the season and racing when that all starts up compared to those who don't participate in summer training. I think breaks are a good thing, but personally for me I feel reinvigorated with the start of summer training and don't feel the need to get away from my kids or the grind of hard work. We've definitely benefited from utilizing the summers well.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.