wrong identificaiton on video coverage of girls 3A race
11/16/2019 11:20:15 PM
User
I know it is difficult to identify athletes and schools with so much action going on. However, our daughter was state runner-up, was in the finish chute by herself after passing her competitors, and had a member of her own team (in the same jersey!) who was correctly identified several seconds later. It was disheartening for her to check the race coverage and hear the announcer repeatedly call her by the wrong name and wrong school. The names and positions of the top five girls (at least!) should be clearly identified, and if the announcer has no clue, he or she should say that.
I know it is difficult to identify athletes and schools with so much action going on. However, our daughter was state runner-up, was in the finish chute by herself after passing her competitors, and had a member of her own team (in the same jersey!) who was correctly identified several seconds later. It was disheartening for her to check the race coverage and hear the announcer repeatedly call her by the wrong name and wrong school. The names and positions of the top five girls (at least!) should be clearly identified, and if the announcer has no clue, he or she should say that.
11/17/2019 8:15:11 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mcttj. That was very disappointing to listen to. Nolan , you need some good spotters.
@mcttj. That was very disappointing to listen to. Nolan , you need some good spotters.
11/17/2019 10:09:35 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I updated in a new higher quality video uploaded to the site late last night with a voice over citing the correct runner. [url=https://va.milesplit.com/videos/408701]https://va.milesplit.com/videos/408701[/url] And if you listened later in the live broadcast on the next race (3A boys) or archive of that race...I made mention of the misidentified runner and credited her race as being a big reason for her team's success on the day moving up well in the last mile. I'm not going to be able to personally recognize every runner that comes thru especially since many of them its the first time I've seen them race all season. I'm up there by myself streaming the meet, being the camera operator and announcer at the same time. Kinda unfair expectation to be able to ID all the runners correctly, which I think I did a fairly good job with if you actually watch the other 5 races and not single out one mistake. It didn't help that they disabled live results for the finish line, which I've had in the past two meets that I've streamed in recent weeks so I had to kinda use the finish order of the runners for the live results at 2 miles to help put together a potential pecking order of runners to look for as they came across the finish, which is why when I saw blue I thought it might be the Abingdon girl that was top 3 at 2 miles. But then when I saw a girl which was clearly in Abingdon jersey a few spots later as well as the second Western Albemarle girl I realized the mistake. If you watch and listen to all the videos from Class 1-3, I think this is the best coverage of video and commentary that the state has ever had for the state cross country championship meets. We've never live streamed this event before so kinda complaining already about something that wouldn't even existed prior without our efforts and this being the only and first post on the boards post-state meet ....kinda makes you go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We have and will always look to improve the coverage that we are doing.
I updated in a new higher quality video uploaded to the site late last night with a voice over citing the correct runner.

https://va.milesplit.com/videos/408701

And if you listened later in the live broadcast on the next race (3A boys) or archive of that race...I made mention of the misidentified runner and credited her race as being a big reason for her team's success on the day moving up well in the last mile. I'm not going to be able to personally recognize every runner that comes thru especially since many of them its the first time I've seen them race all season. I'm up there by myself streaming the meet, being the camera operator and announcer at the same time. Kinda unfair expectation to be able to ID all the runners correctly, which I think I did a fairly good job with if you actually watch the other 5 races and not single out one mistake.

It didn't help that they disabled live results for the finish line, which I've had in the past two meets that I've streamed in recent weeks so I had to kinda use the finish order of the runners for the live results at 2 miles to help put together a potential pecking order of runners to look for as they came across the finish, which is why when I saw blue I thought it might be the Abingdon girl that was top 3 at 2 miles. But then when I saw a girl which was clearly in Abingdon jersey a few spots later as well as the second Western Albemarle girl I realized the mistake.

If you watch and listen to all the videos from Class 1-3, I think this is the best coverage of video and commentary that the state has ever had for the state cross country championship meets. We've never live streamed this event before so kinda complaining already about something that wouldn't even existed prior without our efforts and this being the only and first post on the boards post-state meet ....kinda makes you go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We have and will always look to improve the coverage that we are doing.
11/17/2019 7:09:16 PM
User
Thanks for being so responsive-no idea you didn't have live chip results and were doing the whole thing via visuals only-that's a tough way to call the race. We really appreciate all you do, and all you did to rectify this.
Thanks for being so responsive-no idea you didn't have live chip results and were doing the whole thing via visuals only-that's a tough way to call the race. We really appreciate all you do, and all you did to rectify this.
11/17/2019 7:40:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@MileStat That was the point I was trying to make Nolan. You do too much and need to have course spotters helping you! Who should provide these spotters is another story (I would say the meet director) but you should have help! You cannot be expected to do it all!
@MileStat That was the point I was trying to make Nolan. You do too much and need to have course spotters helping you! Who should provide these spotters is another story (I would say the meet director) but you should have help! You cannot be expected to do it all!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.