Time differential in state meet courses
11/17/2019 7:59:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Nolan, I appreciate your work in trying to solve the unsolvable, the time differences in the state meet courses (thanks VHSL). As you mentioned, there are several factors that could also be examined. One very important factor is that you don't see many 1A or 2A teams racing at Milestat, Great American or Third Battle, whereas most of the stronger 4A, 5A and 6A teams do. What that creates is a huge disparity in the ability to run faster at State. Many of the smaller schools are running on their first fast course of the year, meaning their probability of running a PR is huge. This is not true for the larger schools running at Great Meadows. Now, don't ask me how to factor this into the equation (I already said this was unsolvable) but it certainly brings down the differences in time that your PR's suggest. Without question the Green Hills course is faster, but no way is the difference in times for the girls equal to the 50 seconds that the average PR's show. Of course if the VHSL had never made the horrible decision to go to 6 divisions, we would not have this problem (along with several others). Thanks again for you work and for the coverage you have provided this year.
Nolan, I appreciate your work in trying to solve the unsolvable, the time differences in the state meet courses (thanks VHSL). As you mentioned, there are several factors that could also be examined. One very important factor is that you don't see many 1A or 2A teams racing at Milestat, Great American or Third Battle, whereas most of the stronger 4A, 5A and 6A teams do. What that creates is a huge disparity in the ability to run faster at State. Many of the smaller schools are running on their first fast course of the year, meaning their probability of running a PR is huge. This is not true for the larger schools running at Great Meadows. Now, don't ask me how to factor this into the equation (I already said this was unsolvable) but it certainly brings down the differences in time that your PR's suggest. Without question the Green Hills course is faster, but no way is the difference in times for the girls equal to the 50 seconds that the average PR's show. Of course if the VHSL had never made the horrible decision to go to 6 divisions, we would not have this problem (along with several others). Thanks again for you work and for the coverage you have provided this year.
11/18/2019 6:16:12 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cawitt Sorry Brandon, I looked back and saw that you wrote the article on time diffential, not Nolan. I also saw you used the median time to get a 31 second conversion for the girls, not the average which would have given the 51 I thought you were implying with the use of "average". That's a much more reasonable number.
@cawitt Sorry Brandon, I looked back and saw that you wrote the article on time diffential, not Nolan. I also saw you used the median time to get a 31 second conversion for the girls, not the average which would have given the 51 I thought you were implying with the use of "average". That's a much more reasonable number.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.