Article Comment: Following the Right Course, An Editorial by Ralph Epifanio
09/17/2008 10:54:24 AM
User
Something has been wrong with the last 6 races I have ran, whether it be being pointed in the wrong direction or not properly marked, long, short, theres always something. I will never pay to run those races again, and if anyone asks hows that race, I will tell them not to register. Its not easy to put a good race together, and a lot of respect goes out to the few that make it successful
Something has been wrong with the last 6 races I have ran, whether it be being pointed in the wrong direction or not properly marked, long, short, theres always something. I will never pay to run those races again, and if anyone asks hows that race, I will tell them not to register. Its not easy to put a good race together, and a lot of respect goes out to the few that make it successful
09/17/2008 11:02:20 AM
User
Any athlete not pleased with the South Brevard Jamboree can get a [u]full refund[/u]. I'm sure Coach Butler from Holy Trinty and the host of the Wickham Jamboree will match my generous offer. [rofl]
Any athlete not pleased with the South Brevard Jamboree can get a full refund. I'm sure Coach Butler from Holy Trinty and the host of the Wickham Jamboree will match my generous offer.

09/17/2008 2:23:02 PM
Coach
I agree that courses should be as accurate as possible, but I think many coaches and runners alike forget what cross country is about. Its about places!! If you want a fast time, wait til track, or and off-season road race. Too many athletes base their goals on time. Ex. Which would you rather have- 1. 4th place at state in 16:35 2. 8th place at state in 16:10 If you chose #2...im sorry. People complain that Ed Radice and courses of that nature are not "real cross country", yet coaches take their teams there to get p.r.'s. Many Floridians will complain if they dont come close to their p.r. in a race, even if they beat some competition that would normally beat them. I guess my point is that in the end, everyone runs the same state course. Team A might have faster times from the regular season, but Team B beats them at State. What do those faster times mean now? All courses should be accurate, thats not what im argueing. Im just saying that there is often an over emphasis on P.R.'s and Clock racing, and not enough emphasis on racing for place, or racing the competition.
I agree that courses should be as accurate as possible, but I think many coaches and runners alike forget what cross country is about.

Its about places!! If you want a fast time, wait til track, or and off-season road race. Too many athletes base their goals on time.

Ex. Which would you rather have-
1. 4th place at state in 16:35
2. 8th place at state in 16:10

If you chose #2...im sorry. People complain that Ed Radice and courses of that nature are not "real cross country", yet coaches take their teams there to get p.r.'s. Many Floridians will complain if they dont come close to their p.r. in a race, even if they beat some competition that would normally beat them.

I guess my point is that in the end, everyone runs the same state course. Team A might have faster times from the regular season, but Team B beats them at State. What do those faster times mean now?

All courses should be accurate, thats not what im argueing. Im just saying that there is often an over emphasis on P.R.'s and Clock racing, and not enough emphasis on racing for place, or racing the competition.
09/17/2008 9:50:28 PM
User
There are certain things that should be expected at any meet, however what I teach my kids is, everyone runs the same distance during the race and how we do with place and as a team is important. Times for Cross Country do not concern me as each course is so different...I need my kids to beat the competitor in front of them regardless of time...My kids tease me about me saying "back in the day"...well "back in the day" we just ran... and the winner was the winner regardless of time...just beat the different color singlet in front of you!...just one man's opinion.
There are certain things that should be expected at any meet, however what I teach my kids is, everyone runs the same distance during the race and how we do with place and as a team is important. Times for Cross Country do not concern me as each course is so different...I need my kids to beat the competitor in front of them regardless of time...My kids tease me about me saying "back in the day"...well "back in the day" we just ran... and the winner was the winner regardless of time...just beat the different color singlet in front of you!...just one man's opinion.
09/18/2008 7:10:19 PM
User
You are neither accurate nor popular in my book
You are neither accurate nor popular in my book
09/21/2008 4:17:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
If a course is short, then just tell the participants what the actual distance is, no big deal. The problem is when you know a course is short, like the Venice Invitational, but you don't know the actual mileage. So, the results/times cannot be accurately used in the flrunners.com database for a 5K distance plus it makes it difficult for coaches trying to measure an athlete's improvement from week to week. Not to mention it discourages an athlete if they never match that time all season. If we know the actual mileage then we can calculate the pace and know the true performance based on time. Of course cross country is about place and team scores, but times are also important for coaches to track their athletes' progress.
If a course is short, then just tell the participants what the actual distance is, no big deal. The problem is when you know a course is short, like the Venice Invitational, but you don't know the actual mileage. So, the results/times cannot be accurately used in the flrunners.com database for a 5K distance plus it makes it difficult for coaches trying to measure an athlete's improvement from week to week.

Not to mention it discourages an athlete if they never match that time all season. If we know the actual mileage then we can calculate the pace and know the true performance based on time.

Of course cross country is about place and team scores, but times are also important for coaches to track their athletes' progress.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.