Newburgh Boys 4x400m relay
06/13/2010 10:39:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
06/13/2010 10:45:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=MalcolmBurks]Wow! no mention of them anywhere at states, if I remember right not only did they win feds on Friday and set a new Meet record 3:13.96 they also won the Championship on Saturday. However I do not see one team picture, a video of the boys D1 4x400m relay, nothing in the winners table, nothing in the gallery or even a mention of them in The Top 6 Events from day one. What am I missing, someone please help me out on this.[/quote]
MalcolmBurks wrote:
Wow! no mention of them anywhere at states, if I remember right not only did they win feds on Friday and set a new Meet record 3:13.96 they also won the Championship on Saturday. However I do not see one team picture, a video of the boys D1 4x400m relay, nothing in the winners table, nothing in the gallery or even a mention of them in The Top 6 Events from day one. What am I missing, someone please help me out on this.
06/14/2010 7:13:54 AM
User
I agree with you on this one coach. I also was looking for more info on the boys 4x4.This years 4x4 was the fastest in state meet history. There were 3 teams under the meet record of 3:15 and Newburgh's 3:13 was outstanding.
I agree with you on this one coach. I also was looking for more info on the boys 4x4.This years 4x4 was the fastest in state meet history. There were 3 teams under the meet record of 3:15 and Newburgh's 3:13 was outstanding.
06/14/2010 10:19:55 AM
Coach
If you haven't noticed by now most of the online coverage for all high school track and field is distance biased. It would be nice to see more balance in reporting one day. Newburgh's achievement was great and those kids deserve recognition. I hope theyall get scholarships for the next level!
If you haven't noticed by now most of the online coverage for all high school track and field is distance biased. It would be nice to see more balance in reporting one day. Newburgh's achievement was great and those kids deserve recognition. I hope theyall get scholarships for the next level!
06/14/2010 11:56:00 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=tigertrackunited]If you haven't noticed by now most of the online coverage for all high school track and field is distance biased. It would be nice to see more balance in reporting one day. Newburgh's achievement was great and those kids deserve recognition. I hope theyall get scholarships for the next level! [/quote]tigertrackunited:To keep things simple, look at day one results and show me balance! What you will find everything but the D1 4x400m relay or mention of a meet record or not even a post race mention. These young men have won the 4x400m relay 3 years in a row..and all 3 of the top finisher(Newburgh, Monroe Woodbury, and Boys & Girls went below the meet record. Enough said. And by the way, over the last 11 years, Newburgh has a 98% high school to college rate for its track athletes. Something else that you would not have known.
igertrackunited wrote:

igertrackunited:To keep things simple, look at day one results and show me balance! What you will find everything but the D1 4x400m relay or mention of a meet record or not even a post race mention. These young men have won the 4x400m relay 3 years in a row..and all 3 of the top finisher(Newburgh, Monroe Woodbury, and Boys & Girls went below the meet record. Enough said. And by the way, over the last 11 years, Newburgh has a 98% high school to college rate for its track athletes. Something else that you would not have known.
06/14/2010 1:02:39 PM
Power User
Was the coverage perfect? No, not by any means. However there are a lot of things that I doubt you folks take into account when attacking it. First of all Flotrack was originally supposed to be there filming the races while ArmoryTrack was just going to cover interviews. Flotrack cancelled last minute leaving ArmoryTrack with 1 video camera and 1 regular camera to cover the meet. Tough to do a lot of coverage with that. Interviews are still going up, video editing and uploading takes a long time to do and it is not a speedy process, especially with the meager resources/personnel available for it. The 'Top 6 Highlights' was a quick write up thrown together at nearly 1AM in an attempt to get something up that day - there is always going to be someone who is unhappy that they didn't get covered, and while Newburgh's 4x4 was quite impressive, their time currently ranks 11th in the country. The only performance in that top 6 ranking lower is the boys triple jump. There actually is a video posted of the boys 4x4 from the first day - due to rain delays we left before the relays on day 2, hence the lack of video coverage of the championship 4x4, 4x1 and 4x8. Also, currently I seem to count 8 videos sprint related, 10 distance related and 8 field related (counting the multis as field and not sprint). I would say that is pretty evenly spaced across the board.
Was the coverage perfect? No, not by any means. However there are a lot of things that I doubt you folks take into account when attacking it. First of all Flotrack was originally supposed to be there filming the races while ArmoryTrack was just going to cover interviews. Flotrack cancelled last minute leaving ArmoryTrack with 1 video camera and 1 regular camera to cover the meet. Tough to do a lot of coverage with that.

Interviews are still going up, video editing and uploading takes a long time to do and it is not a speedy process, especially with the meager resources/personnel available for it.

The 'Top 6 Highlights' was a quick write up thrown together at nearly 1AM in an attempt to get something up that day - there is always going to be someone who is unhappy that they didn't get covered, and while Newburgh's 4x4 was quite impressive, their time currently ranks 11th in the country. The only performance in that top 6 ranking lower is the boys triple jump.

There actually is a video posted of the boys 4x4 from the first day - due to rain delays we left before the relays on day 2, hence the lack of video coverage of the championship 4x4, 4x1 and 4x8.

Also, currently I seem to count 8 videos sprint related, 10 distance related and 8 field related (counting the multis as field and not sprint). I would say that is pretty evenly spaced across the board.
06/14/2010 2:53:51 PM
Coach
[quote=MalcolmBurks]tigertrackunited said:If you haven't noticed by now most of the online coverage for all high school track and field is distance biased. It would be nice to see more balance in reporting one day. Newburgh's achievement was great and those kids deserve recognition. I hope theyall get scholarships for the next level! tigertrackunited:To keep things simple, look at day one results and show me balance! What you will find everything but the D1 4x400m relay or mention of a meet record or not even a post race mention. These young men have won the 4x400m relay 3 years in a row..and all 3 of the top finisher(Newburgh, Monroe Woodbury, and Boys & Girls went below the meet record. Enough said. And by the way, over the last 11 years, Newburgh has a 98% high school to college rate for its track athletes. Something else that you would not have known.[/quote] It seems as if you have misinterpreted my point. I posted the aforementioned because I agree with your assesment 100 percent. Perhaps you thought something different but I have, for several years, made note of how the accomplishments of those that run 400M and down, as well as the relays, never seem to get the coverage they deserve. Newburgh has earned the right for a fair amount of recognition. They have been consistent in producing elite performances year after year. BTW: I meant it when I said I wish the best for this year's senior group.
MalcolmBurks wrote:
tigertrackunited said:If you haven't noticed by now most of the online coverage for all high school track and field is distance biased. It would be nice to see more balance in reporting one day. Newburgh's achievement was great and those kids deserve recognition. I hope theyall get scholarships for the next level!

tigertrackunited:To keep things simple, look at day one results and show me balance! What you will find everything but the D1 4x400m relay or mention of a meet record or not even a post race mention. These young men have won the 4x400m relay 3 years in a row..and all 3 of the top finisher(Newburgh, Monroe Woodbury, and Boys & Girls went below the meet record. Enough said. And by the way, over the last 11 years, Newburgh has a 98% high school to college rate for its track athletes. Something else that you would not have known.

It seems as if you have misinterpreted my point. I posted the aforementioned because I agree with your assesment 100 percent. Perhaps you thought something different but I have, for several years, made note of how the accomplishments of those that run 400M and down, as well as the relays, never seem to get the coverage they deserve. Newburgh has earned the right for a fair amount of recognition. They have been consistent in producing elite performances year after year. BTW: I meant it when I said I wish the best for this year's senior group.
06/15/2010 3:14:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The boy's 4x400 was the best race of the state meet. I'm looking foward to seeing Newburgh go even faster at Outdoor Nationals this weekend in greensboro. Hopefully Boys and Westbury will be there also for round 3.
The boy's 4x400 was the best race of the state meet. I'm looking foward to seeing Newburgh go even faster at Outdoor Nationals this weekend in greensboro. Hopefully Boys and Westbury will be there also for round 3.
06/19/2010 3:50:06 AM
User
The 4x4 was an incredible race that should have been covered much more closely than it was. I'm curious what were the splits in that race
The 4x4 was an incredible race that should have been covered much more closely than it was. I'm curious what were the splits in that race
06/22/2010 10:32:43 AM
Coach
1 Newburgh NY Elite 1:37.32 (1) 1:37.32 2:26.72 (1) 49.40 3:13.40 (1) 46.69
1 Newburgh NY Elite 1:37.32
(1) 1:37.32 2:26.72
(1) 49.40 3:13.40
(1) 46.69
06/24/2010 11:56:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Many thanks to everyone for their support through the season. Enjoy your summer and the best to everyone this up coming year. Both in college or on the high school circuit. Go Section 9 Go New York State
Many thanks to everyone for their support through the season. Enjoy your summer and the best to
everyone this up coming year. Both in college or on the high school circuit.

Go Section 9
Go New York State
06/27/2010 8:16:32 PM
User
Thank you Newyork for an the exciting season. Coach Burks, I'm starting to think you are building a sprint city up there in Newburgh. Keep up the good work. Again thanks NY !!!!
Thank you Newyork for an the exciting season. Coach Burks, I'm starting to think you are building a sprint city up there in Newburgh. Keep up the good work.
Again thanks NY !!!!
06/28/2010 3:29:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Nightmare2009]The 4x4 was an incredible race that should have been covered much more closely than it was. I'm curious what were the splits in that race[/quote] Here you go Nightmare2009, splits from state quals. NEWBURGH 3:14.29 (US#11) Jermain Mitchell - 49.3 Shamel Willliams - 50.1 Fred Locklary - 47.7 Randy Patterson - 46.0
Nightmare2009 wrote:

Here you go Nightmare2009, splits from state quals.

NEWBURGH 3:14.29 (US#11)

Jermain Mitchell - 49.3

Shamel Willliams - 50.1

Fred Locklary - 47.7

Randy Patterson - 46.0
07/15/2010 1:26:10 PM
User
Thank's coach. I can't wait to see what surprises indoor will bring! ^_^
Thank's coach. I can't wait to see what surprises indoor will bring! ^_^

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.