Article Comment: Sectional Schedule Updates
04/28/2011 4:57:22 PM
User
I just got a text from our coach that says our sectional at Beauregard has been pushed back to Monday & Tuesday.
I just got a text from our coach that says our sectional at Beauregard has been pushed back to Monday & Tuesday.
04/28/2011 5:56:09 PM
User
that makes me really mad
that makes me really mad
04/28/2011 6:30:41 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
We have thunderstorms on the forecast for Monday and Tuesday, but perfect weather this weekend. I wonder what the plan will be for inclement weather.
We have thunderstorms on the forecast for Monday and Tuesday, but perfect weather this weekend. I wonder what the plan will be for inclement weather.
04/28/2011 6:37:12 PM
User
No matter what I say I will be perceived by some to be cold and insensitive; having said that... This is the swine flu fiasco of a couple of years ago all over again. Our kids had been on a bus for an hour before this decision came down. They were coming from one of the hardest hit areas of the state. If their sectional venue was unable to host the meet because of damage that would be one thing. Did the powers that be ever consider the possibility that some of these kids needed to get away from damaged schools and homes for a couple of days? In my opinion this simply added insult to injury.
No matter what I say I will be perceived by some to be cold and insensitive; having said that... This is the swine flu fiasco of a couple of years ago all over again. Our kids had been on a bus for an hour before this decision came down. They were coming from one of the hardest hit areas of the state. If their sectional venue was unable to host the meet because of damage that would be one thing. Did the powers that be ever consider the possibility that some of these kids needed to get away from damaged schools and homes for a couple of days? In my opinion this simply added insult to injury.
04/28/2011 7:03:26 PM
Coach
I absolutely agree, and you raise a good point. That is, it's as if the AHSAA finds a way to make an argument you can't argue against. I don't think you're being cold or insensitive to suggest that a track meet could've been a welcome release. I also don't think it's wrong to bring up how difficult it's going to be for sections unharmed by the weather to host a weekday meet, especially when considering most volunteers work during the week (not to mention even more missed class time for students who are also going to miss class later in the week for the state meet).
I absolutely agree, and you raise a good point. That is, it's as if the AHSAA finds a way to make an argument you can't argue against. I don't think you're being cold or insensitive to suggest that a track meet could've been a welcome release. I also don't think it's wrong to bring up how difficult it's going to be for sections unharmed by the weather to host a weekday meet, especially when considering most volunteers work during the week (not to mention even more missed class time for students who are also going to miss class later in the week for the state meet).
04/28/2011 7:48:15 PM
User
change it back!!!!
change it back!!!!
04/28/2011 7:49:17 PM
Coach
your kids been on a bus for an hour...our kids have been waiting all day while we cut trees so they can just get out of their neighborhood...we still have people who cannot get out...our school does not have electical power...if we don't show that is less competition for you...cry to someone else...don't be so myopic...there is a whole world outside your little universe and there is lots of damage...grow up and be a man for once
your kids been on a bus for an hour...our kids have been waiting all day while we cut trees so they can just get out of their neighborhood...we still have people who cannot get out...our school does not have electical power...if we don't show that is less competition for you...cry to someone else...don't be so myopic...there is a whole world outside your little universe and there is lots of damage...grow up and be a man for once
04/28/2011 7:56:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
lets just move sectionals to next weekend, that way alot of stuff will have settled down. Move the state back a week wlike we did with swine flu...the hotels will work with us...or if they dont we go to the press and tell them how ba dthey are... another great reason to have our state meet at the end of May when the bad weather has gone on by.
lets just move sectionals to next weekend, that way alot of stuff will have settled down. Move the state back a week wlike we did with swine flu...the hotels will work with us...or if they dont we go to the press and tell them how ba dthey are...
another great reason to have our state meet at the end of May when the bad weather has gone on by.
04/28/2011 8:44:27 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I don't think the post was insensitive. There are a range of issues here. Preparing all season for this and being able to go is a good thing. Having to deal with bigger issues obviously takes precedent. Both points of view have validity without resorting to ad hominen attacks. What is legitimate to critique is the fact that the AHSAA took all day to make this decision that would obviously negatively impact teams that were traveling, students that will now miss up to 3 days of school next week, parents and volunteers that have to alter work schedules, and force a lot of logistical gymnastics on folks that may not really need to do it. I checked the applicable websites all day long until 2:30 and went to practice. There was no official change at that time. Find out at 4 pm. Why does it take that long to make this decision? And then we end up with the really bad Monday/Tuesday decision. Finally, the wild card process is now a big negative because the time between meet conclusion and notification of qualification is so close to the actual meet. Not too mention, as has been pointed out, the prospect of bad weather impacting meets and performance. A furhter reason to resort to the previous method of qualification based on place to minimize delays in notification and weather on performance. In cross country, we allow Sectional races on different days. Why could this not happen this week? If a Section was ready to go this weekend and no teams were impacted, why does it have to change? For the others that may have legitimate issues from the storm, they can delay. The one size fits all aspect of this makes no sense.
I don't think the post was insensitive. There are a range of issues here. Preparing all season for this and being able to go is a good thing. Having to deal with bigger issues obviously takes precedent. Both points of view have validity without resorting to ad hominen attacks. What is legitimate to critique is the fact that the AHSAA took all day to make this decision that would obviously negatively impact teams that were traveling, students that will now miss up to 3 days of school next week, parents and volunteers that have to alter work schedules, and force a lot of logistical gymnastics on folks that may not really need to do it. I checked the applicable websites all day long until 2:30 and went to practice. There was no official change at that time. Find out at 4 pm. Why does it take that long to make this decision? And then we end up with the really bad Monday/Tuesday decision. Finally, the wild card process is now a big negative because the time between meet conclusion and notification of qualification is so close to the actual meet. Not too mention, as has been pointed out, the prospect of bad weather impacting meets and performance. A furhter reason to resort to the previous method of qualification based on place to minimize delays in notification and weather on performance. In cross country, we allow Sectional races on different days. Why could this not happen this week? If a Section was ready to go this weekend and no teams were impacted, why does it have to change? For the others that may have legitimate issues from the storm, they can delay. The one size fits all aspect of this makes no sense.
04/28/2011 8:58:26 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I agree with the post not being insensitive. Forums such as this are a place for mature conversations, even concerning sometimes sensitive subjects. They are absolutely not a place for name calling and insulting, simply because you disagree. I think we can all agree that what happened Wednesday was devastating to our state, and will be an emotional topic for a long time coming. I also can agree what a mess rearranging the meet dates is for students, coaches, and volunteers. Voicing that opinion doesn't take anything away from what those of you who were directly affected are experiencing. It's just a factual statement about a set of circumstances beyond our control.
I agree with the post not being insensitive. Forums such as this are a place for mature conversations, even concerning sometimes sensitive subjects. They are absolutely not a place for name calling and insulting, simply because you disagree. I think we can all agree that what happened Wednesday was devastating to our state, and will be an emotional topic for a long time coming. I also can agree what a mess rearranging the meet dates is for students, coaches, and volunteers. Voicing that opinion doesn't take anything away from what those of you who were directly affected are experiencing. It's just a factual statement about a set of circumstances beyond our control.
04/28/2011 9:04:34 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
What would be the problem with having the meet on Sunday and Monday? Start on Sunday at 2pm. Then we could have a fair break before state. This would be the least impact to everyones schedule.
What would be the problem with having the meet on Sunday and Monday? Start on Sunday at 2pm. Then we could have a fair break before state. This would be the least impact to everyones schedule.
04/28/2011 9:18:23 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Sunday and Monday might be a good idea. But it appears that train has left the station.
Sunday and Monday might be a good idea. But it appears that train has left the station.
04/28/2011 9:35:02 PM
User
i like the sections on different day thing i dont see why that cant happen!!
i like the sections on different day thing i dont see why that cant happen!!
04/28/2011 10:18:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
For continuity and across the board fairness the athletic association with the help of track officials needs to dictate when sectional track meets are held,number of days, and maybe even the meet schedule. I believe the weather situation, days between sectional and the state championship, and overall health and safety of athletes need to be taken into consideration. Too much inconsistency right now
For continuity and across the board fairness the athletic association with the help of track officials needs to dictate when sectional track meets are held,number of days, and maybe even the meet schedule. I believe the weather situation, days between sectional and the state championship, and overall health and safety of athletes need to be taken into consideration. Too much inconsistency right now
04/29/2011 12:22:44 AM
Coach
The issue of competing on Sunday was addressed a couple of years ago when Dan Washburn was the head of the AHSAA. Hoover wanted to play a football game against some school from Ohio; ESPN was going to televise the game, but could only do it on Sunday. Washburn squashed that idea, first claiming that Sunday was reserved as a "day of worship"... then, restated it as a "day of rest."
The issue of competing on Sunday was addressed a couple of years ago when Dan Washburn was the head of the AHSAA. Hoover wanted to play a football game against some school from Ohio; ESPN was going to televise the game, but could only do it on Sunday. Washburn squashed that idea, first claiming that Sunday was reserved as a "day of worship"... then, restated it as a "day of rest."
04/29/2011 8:20:06 AM
User
I totally agree.
I totally agree.
04/29/2011 8:28:40 AM
Coach
At this point, I think a decision needs to me made quickly so that coaches can begin making changes/arrangements. There are going to be many different views on the way things would be "best" arranged, but in reality, none of us have much input. I just wish something would be set in stone so I can arrange for a bus and a substitute for my classroom. I regard to the State Meet- so many people have already arranged for this meet. Officials have already been hired, too. Unless there is an absolute NEED to change it, I believe it would be easiest for everyone (coaches and athletes) to leave it as scheduled. I am sure many coaches have already arranged for subs, buses, and even hotels.
At this point, I think a decision needs to me made quickly so that coaches can begin making changes/arrangements. There are going to be many different views on the way things would be "best" arranged, but in reality, none of us have much input. I just wish something would be set in stone so I can arrange for a bus and a substitute for my classroom.

I regard to the State Meet- so many people have already arranged for this meet. Officials have already been hired, too. Unless there is an absolute NEED to change it, I believe it would be easiest for everyone (coaches and athletes) to leave it as scheduled. I am sure many coaches have already arranged for subs, buses, and even hotels.
04/29/2011 9:06:01 AM
User
The "Swine flu" issue was very tough to deal with- rearranging plans that were made several months before...very inconvenient but nothing compared to what we are dealing with in Northeast AL now...We have NO electricity - no warm showers, no food, no gas, nothing is open unless they have a generater,everything we are dealing with is so much more than you can imagine. Scottsboro is hosting teams from areas that were extremely hard hit! We had a call from one of the coaches in our section, who lost his entire house to a tornado while lying in a bathtub. The Death toll in this area alone is over 100- which will impact many of the athletes in some way- Since the state refuses to change the date of State, which would have been the logical thing to do, the ONLY (halfway) fair thing to do would be to try to standardize the dates of Sectionals. Yes, in Cross Country the Sectionals Can be set on different days, but Must be run by a given deadline. Is this a "Fair" solution- absolutely not...these areas now have to dig themselves out of debris, bury their family members and friends, try to find their uniforms, try to scrape up gas to travel and come to compete on Mon. & Tues. - then, if they do make it- travel for 6 1/2 hours Thurs. and compete again on Fri. & Sat.- "Fair"- Not even close! Who benefits from this choice? Well the State will not loose a thing, they will not have to stand in line to try to find water, powerade, food etc. to have concessions at their meet. They won't have to find a generater to hook up to their ice machine, so there will be cool drinks or a bag of ice for an injured athlete! There will be some athletes that just won't be able to attend at all, some relay teams that won't be complete etc. Some of you that are complaining have not been impacted by this at all, can sleep in your own beds, fuel up with good food, hydrate with $15 bottles of water, go to their personal trainers and show up at State and compete without missing a beat. FAIR?
The "Swine flu" issue was very tough to deal with- rearranging plans that were made several months before...very inconvenient but nothing compared to what we are dealing with in Northeast AL now...We have NO electricity - no warm showers, no food, no gas, nothing is open unless they have a generater,everything we are dealing with is so much more than you can imagine. Scottsboro is hosting teams from areas that were extremely hard hit! We had a call from one of the coaches in our section, who lost his entire house to a tornado while lying in a bathtub. The Death toll in this area alone is over 100- which will impact many of the athletes in some way- Since the state refuses to change the date of State, which would have been the logical thing to do, the ONLY (halfway) fair thing to do would be to try to standardize the dates of Sectionals. Yes, in Cross Country the Sectionals Can be set on different days, but Must be run by a given deadline. Is this a "Fair" solution- absolutely not...these areas now have to dig themselves out of debris, bury their family members and friends, try to find their uniforms, try to scrape up gas to travel and come to compete on Mon. & Tues. - then, if they do make it- travel for 6 1/2 hours Thurs. and compete again on Fri. & Sat.- "Fair"- Not even close! Who benefits from this choice? Well the State will not loose a thing, they will not have to stand in line to try to find water, powerade, food etc. to have concessions at their meet. They won't have to find a generater to hook up to their ice machine, so there will be cool drinks or a bag of ice for an injured athlete! There will be some athletes that just won't be able to attend at all, some relay teams that won't be complete etc. Some of you that are complaining have not been impacted by this at all, can sleep in your own beds, fuel up with good food, hydrate with $15 bottles of water, go to their personal trainers and show up at State and compete without missing a beat. FAIR?
04/29/2011 10:44:10 AM
User
I agree wholeheartedly with the post about fairness.
I agree wholeheartedly with the post about fairness.
04/29/2011 11:23:39 AM
User
For Sctfan - I am sorry for the devistation your community/region is facing. But, Life Is Not Fair! It was not fair that you all were subjected to the Tornados and all the fallout that comes from a catastrophy. I am afraid that you all will be facing these hardships for a very long time.(Ask anyone that suffered from Katrina). What are the rest of us to do? Stop living? Stop moving forward? I pray for your speedy recovery - but until then, On With The Competition!
For Sctfan - I am sorry for the devistation your community/region is facing. But, Life Is Not Fair! It was not fair that you all were subjected to the Tornados and all the fallout that comes from a catastrophy. I am afraid that you all will be facing these hardships for a very long time.(Ask anyone that suffered from Katrina). What are the rest of us to do? Stop living? Stop moving forward? I pray for your speedy recovery - but until then, On With The Competition!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.