VHSL Group 3A/4A State Outdoor T&F Championships 2018

• Timothy Moon
    Coach
    PRO
    tdmoon
    With the forecast calling for so much rain / thunderstorms, would they ever consider moving the meet to Mon/Tues? Or is there an alternate plan in place? Thanks.
  • Coach
    PRO
    kshirk
    Here's how I understand it...I'm just a coach, so I could certainly be wrong...

The current alternate plans, if weather were to prevent the meet from proceeding as scheduled are:
    A. If Friday events can not take place or conclude, condense it to a single day on Saturday.
    B. If Saturday can not take place or conclude, move it or complete it on Sunday.

Schools were asked a week or two ago by the VHSL to provide permission from their superintendents to compete on Sunday.
  • Justin Adams
    User
    PRO
    J_ADAMS
    Just saw this on the VHSL Website.

Due to updated weather forecasts, all state meets will use a rolling schedule beginning Saturday, June 2 when the running events begin. The rolling schedule will start at 11:00 AM at East Rockingham and Harrisonburg High School. The meet at Todd Stadium will begin a rolling schedule at 12 noon.

https://www.vhsl.org/
  • Timothy Moon
    Coach
    PRO
    tdmoon
    Thank you for the information. I was just wondering if they would ever consider rescheduling the whole thing. Since it is the state meet and a big deal to a lot of athletes, just thought maybe moving it to another two-days when skies are clear and kids can perform their best could be looked at as a potential solution. But I also understand that things are hard to move this late in the game. Fingers crossed that the weather holds up! Best of luck to all!
  • User
    PRO
    rsullins
    The 2 issues I see with moving the state track meet are coming into conflict with other playoffs. There are athletes scattered in many areas that double up in the spring w/ baseball/soccer/softball.

And hotels can become a real problem. Just because the date of the meet might change doesn't mean they are going to let you cancel and reschedule for a few days later. I know several years ago when the state wrestling meet got cut to one day, teams and parents lost all kinds of money because they couldn't cancel reservations.

And hotels in Harrisonburg are pretty bunch booked at this point.