Hokie Holiday Festival 2016
10/11/2016 10:47:11 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Hey Dan, Chris Stroup here, Asheville High School Considering the postponement of Liberty HS meets this year, Was wondering/hoping the Hokie meet may be open to border schools? Would love to compete with some other schools beside the same Carolina schools all season. Chris
Hey Dan, Chris Stroup here, Asheville High School
Considering the postponement of Liberty HS meets this year, Was wondering/hoping the Hokie meet may be open to border schools?
Would love to compete with some other schools beside the same Carolina schools all season.

Chris
10/11/2016 7:12:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Sorry, not Dan, but wondering what you mean by the "postponements of Liberty HS meets"? Have not heard anything about this. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry, not Dan, but wondering what you mean by the "postponements of Liberty HS meets"? Have not heard anything about this. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
10/11/2016 8:42:50 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@cawitt He's referring to there being no high school meets in December at Liberty University as they are working to get their new facility ready in time for January meets.
@cawitt He's referring to there being no high school meets in December at Liberty University as they are working to get their new facility ready in time for January meets.
10/11/2016 10:08:56 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@stroupca CNU has brought back their high school showcase for January 6/7th in Newport News. HUGE MEETS on 200m tracks in VA that should be open to out of state teams: 12/2-3 Real Deal @Boo Williams in Hampton 12/9-10 CNU Winter Frolic in Newport News 12/17 - Hokie Holiday Festival (Limited teams) 1/6-7 - BOTH CNU High School Showcase/Suffolk Stars @Boo Williams 1/13-14 - VA Showcase on Liberty University's 200m hydraulically banking track 1/20-21 - ST. Christopher's Invitational in Richmond 1/27-28 - VT Premier Invitational 2/5 - Bulldog Qualifier on Liberty's new track -Nolan
@stroupca CNU has brought back their high school showcase for January 6/7th in Newport News.

HUGE MEETS on 200m tracks in VA that should be open to out of state teams:

12/2-3 Real Deal @Boo Williams in Hampton
12/9-10 CNU Winter Frolic in Newport News
12/17 - Hokie Holiday Festival (Limited teams)
1/6-7 - BOTH CNU High School Showcase/Suffolk Stars @Boo Williams
1/13-14 - VA Showcase on Liberty University's 200m hydraulically banking track
1/20-21 - ST. Christopher's Invitational in Richmond
1/27-28 - VT Premier Invitational
2/5 - Bulldog Qualifier on Liberty's new track

-Nolan
10/12/2016 1:50:48 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have to disagree with you on this one Nolan. I don't think every meet in VA should be open to out of state teams. With the limited facilities in Virginia and the fact that weather can play havoc with the calendar, I think some meets should be limited to only Virginia teams. If your in the NOVA area, you have very little options for meets without travel 2 - 3 hours for meets. PG has a limited schedule and must deal with opening meets to VA, MD and DC area schools. I agree that Milestat and VT Premier could be great feature events for NC, VA, MD, etc.., but I think other meets should just be open to VA schools.
I have to disagree with you on this one Nolan. I don't think every meet in VA should be open to out of state teams. With the limited facilities in Virginia and the fact that weather can play havoc with the calendar, I think some meets should be limited to only Virginia teams. If your in the NOVA area, you have very little options for meets without travel 2 - 3 hours for meets. PG has a limited schedule and must deal with opening meets to VA, MD and DC area schools. I agree that Milestat and VT Premier could be great feature events for NC, VA, MD, etc.., but I think other meets should just be open to VA schools.
10/13/2016 11:02:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Trurunner, i dont think Nolan was stating an opinion on whether or not VA mmets should or should not be open to others...I think he was stating that he was unsure but believed they may be... I'm not trying to encroach, but as many of you know travel to an indoor facility as opposed to Polar bears is preferable. We are located in Western NC. It is a shorter trip for us to travel to VTech or Lynchburg as opposed to UNC Chapel Hill...which only hosts 1 HS meet. The only other facility, JDL, is great but also 3.25 hrs away and gets very redundant team wise.
Trurunner, i dont think Nolan was stating an opinion on whether or not VA mmets should or should not be open to others...I think he was stating that he was unsure but believed they may be...

I'm not trying to encroach, but as many of you know travel to an indoor facility as opposed to Polar bears is preferable. We are located in Western NC. It is a shorter trip for us to travel to VTech or Lynchburg as opposed to UNC Chapel Hill...which only hosts 1 HS meet. The only other facility, JDL, is great but also 3.25 hrs away and gets very redundant team wise.
10/13/2016 12:17:49 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@TruRunner2 All I was saying was meets that I thought would be open to out of state teams... not my opinion on what meets should do. I like the idea of having VA only meets but that is something a meet director would have to do and it is very unlikely. Indoor facilities are very expensive to rent and few people are going to turn down quality teams or teams in general. Though I will say, VA is really making a step to being an over-saturated state when it comes to indoor tracks... You're talking about having 200m tracks at Liberty, Boo Williams, CNU, George Mason, Virginia Tech, Roanoke College, St. Christopher's and VMI now. Not to mention Fork Union, Woodberry Forest, Heritage, Ashe Center, and Episcopal. -Nolan
@TruRunner2 All I was saying was meets that I thought would be open to out of state teams... not my opinion on what meets should do.

I like the idea of having VA only meets but that is something a meet director would have to do and it is very unlikely. Indoor facilities are very expensive to rent and few people are going to turn down quality teams or teams in general.

Though I will say, VA is really making a step to being an over-saturated state when it comes to indoor tracks...

You're talking about having 200m tracks at Liberty, Boo Williams, CNU, George Mason, Virginia Tech, Roanoke College, St. Christopher's and VMI now.

Not to mention Fork Union, Woodberry Forest, Heritage, Ashe Center, and Episcopal.

-Nolan
10/13/2016 12:46:11 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@vamilesplit There are some good 200m tracks in VA, Nolan, but we still don't have one in Fairfax County, which is a hotbed of talent. Yes, George Mason has a track, but isn't really open to HS teams using it any more, Episcopal rents out their fieldhouse more and more to other sports and is not really equipped for an invite. PG Sportsplex is nice.....but it is still not in VA, and a decent hike for a lot of FFX teams. I won't get on my soapbox about why Fairfax doesn't have one and/or why it needs one....but it remains a sore point for a lot of us who have coached up here for a while as to why we can annually deliver national-class talent and is one of the richest counties in the nation, and don't have the facilities to host quality meets here.
@vamilesplit

There are some good 200m tracks in VA, Nolan, but we still don't have one in Fairfax County, which is a hotbed of talent. Yes, George Mason has a track, but isn't really open to HS teams using it any more, Episcopal rents out their fieldhouse more and more to other sports and is not really equipped for an invite. PG Sportsplex is nice.....but it is still not in VA, and a decent hike for a lot of FFX teams.

I won't get on my soapbox about why Fairfax doesn't have one and/or why it needs one....but it remains a sore point for a lot of us who have coached up here for a while as to why we can annually deliver national-class talent and is one of the richest counties in the nation, and don't have the facilities to host quality meets here.
10/13/2016 2:29:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@vamilesplit No worries, it wasn't meant to be a knock, I'm always glad to have a conversation with you. I would love to see VA indoor get to the point where just like in Outdoor, schools would be able to pick and choose which indoor meets that they could attended on any given weekend. Unfortunately, right now the choices are limited to the budget your school will allow for travel(getting up at 4am to travel to VT isn't fun sometimes). We desperately need a quality facility in the NOVA area (Fairfax, Loudoun, Frederick) I will be the first to offer that SU here in Winchester has started talks about opening up an indoor facility with a 200 meter track, but those talks are still very early. IF so I can guarantee you the if we can get high school meets we are going to try.
@vamilesplit No worries, it wasn't meant to be a knock, I'm always glad to have a conversation with you. I would love to see VA indoor get to the point where just like in Outdoor, schools would be able to pick and choose which indoor meets that they could attended on any given weekend.

Unfortunately, right now the choices are limited to the budget your school will allow for travel(getting up at 4am to travel to VT isn't fun sometimes). We desperately need a quality facility in the NOVA area (Fairfax, Loudoun, Frederick)

I will be the first to offer that SU here in Winchester has started talks about opening up an indoor facility with a 200 meter track, but those talks are still very early. IF so I can guarantee you the if we can get high school meets we are going to try.
10/14/2016 5:31:31 AM
Coach
[quote=TruRunner2] I will be the first to offer that SU here in Winchester has started talks about opening up an indoor facility with a 200 meter track, but those talks are still very early. IF so I can guarantee you the if we can get high school meets we are going to try.[/quote] @TruRunner2 Those aren't just talks anymore....It's approved and construction should be underway at this point. I haven't been over there in a little while to see. https://www.su.edu/blog/2016/04/27/shenandoah-university-unveils-plans-for-new-athletics-events-center/
TruRunner2 wrote:

I will be the first to offer that SU here in Winchester has started talks about opening up an indoor facility with a 200 meter track, but those talks are still very early. IF so I can guarantee you the if we can get high school meets we are going to try.

@TruRunner2
Those aren't just talks anymore....It's approved and construction should be underway at this point. I haven't been over there in a little while to see.
https://www.su.edu/blog/2016/04/27/shenandoah-university-unveils-plans-for-new-athletics-events-center/
11/14/2016 1:27:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
You can add Prince William County into that NoVa group. I am making some changes now to my schedule. It really sucks trying to get travel plans and meets together and most meets are doing 2 day invitational which means if you live in NoVa you have to get permission from admin to leave school early every meet because of travel time in NoVa traffic and meets starting at 3pm sometimes. George Mason really is doing a terrible disservice to NoVa. PWC just built Colgan high school at a price tag of $111 million I believe $21 of it towards the aquatics center alone. I know we have more kids running than we do swimming.
You can add Prince William County into that NoVa group. I am making some changes now to my schedule. It really sucks trying to get travel plans and meets together and most meets are doing 2 day invitational which means if you live in NoVa you have to get permission from admin to leave school early every meet because of travel time in NoVa traffic and meets starting at 3pm sometimes. George Mason really is doing a terrible disservice to NoVa. PWC just built Colgan high school at a price tag of $111 million I believe $21 of it towards the aquatics center alone. I know we have more kids running than we do swimming.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.