Who will be the stars of the State Meet: Athletes or Officials??
02/04/2012 10:13:59 PM
User
It’s post season time for Indoor and that means an exciting state meet is on the horizon. It’s time to let the athletes decide who wins and not the officials! How many DQ’s will the Eastern Region teams receive this year? For once, let the athletes perform on the track and decide it that way. For once let’s keep the officials out of the spotlight! It is so obvious that the officials are biased towards the Eastern Region teams. Somebody needs to take a hard look at this. There's always controversy at the post season meets and it's pretty sad to see this happen to hard working kids!!
It's post season time for Indoor and that means an exciting state meet is on the horizon. It's time to let the athletes decide who wins and not the officials! How many DQ's will the Eastern Region teams receive this year? For once, let the athletes perform on the track and decide it that way. For once let's keep the officials out of the spotlight! It is so obvious that the officials are biased towards the Eastern Region teams. Somebody needs to take a hard look at this. There's always controversy at the post season meets and it's pretty sad to see this happen to hard working kids!!
02/05/2012 11:19:46 AM
User
@VaTrakFan for the last 3 years just to name a few Cameron Bolton form Landstown 400M, Cierra Cutshaw from Western Branch 55H, Thireyona Legg from Booker T. in the 500, 4x400 relays Salem, Lakeland, Kings Fork, Western Branch, and Oscar Smith. These are just a few, there are possibly more I forgot to mention.
@VaTrakFan for the last 3 years just to name a few Cameron Bolton form Landstown 400M, Cierra Cutshaw from Western Branch 55H, Thireyona Legg from Booker T. in the 500, 4x400 relays Salem, Lakeland, Kings Fork, Western Branch, and Oscar Smith. These are just a few, there are possibly more I forgot to mention.
02/05/2012 11:50:33 AM
User
@Cameon5 Well did they break the rules? Anyone who breaks the rules deserves to be disqualified, that's what rules are for. If athletes follow the rules they won't be disqualified, its as simple as that. If officials aren't enforcing rules then they aren't doing their job.
@Cameon5 Well did they break the rules? Anyone who breaks the rules deserves to be disqualified, that's what rules are for. If athletes follow the rules they won't be disqualified, its as simple as that. If officials aren't enforcing rules then they aren't doing their job.
02/05/2012 12:59:32 PM
User
@irishrunner2017 I didn't say anything like that. I'm saying that all of them are from the eastern region. The officials and some coaches are protecting the northern schools. If the northern schools want to win let it be done on the track and not by the officials helping them.
@irishrunner2017 I didn't say anything like that. I'm saying that all of them are from the eastern region. The officials and some coaches are protecting the northern schools. If the northern schools want to win let it be done on the track and not by the officials helping them.
02/05/2012 2:07:17 PM
User
It's unfair to the athletes that leave it all on the track just to be told there disqualified just because the offical is a coach from another school that happened to lose a race. how is it possibly fair for any coach from any school to be an offical of a state meet that there school is apart of? someone really needs to look into this before another school gets disqualified for no aparent reason.
It's unfair to the athletes that leave it all on the track just to be told there disqualified just because the offical is a coach from another school that happened to lose a race. how is it possibly fair for any coach from any school to be an offical of a state meet that there school is apart of? someone really needs to look into this before another school gets disqualified for no aparent reason.
02/05/2012 2:56:30 PM
User
@irishrunner2017 It depends on who the athlete is. At last years state meet, it was clear that Atkinson false started, but didn't see that called. Several coaches commented that they saw it. Just appears a little fishy!! Maybe the Meet Director can address this issue. This has been going on since the Rick Cox days at Deep Creek.
@irishrunner2017
It depends on who the athlete is. At last years state meet, it was clear that Atkinson false started, but didn't see that called. Several coaches commented that they saw it. Just appears a little fishy!! Maybe the Meet Director can address this issue. This has been going on since the Rick Cox days at Deep Creek.
02/05/2012 7:07:27 PM
User
@VaTrakFan I have seen alot funny things at the state meets,such as officials unsettling athletes from a team from the eastern region by yelling at them before their race.One particuliar starter needs to understand it is within the athlete right to raise their hand before the set command,if he/she,wait too long in that position while someone is taking their sweet time ,if there is excessive noise,if there is a distraction, if the athlete is uncomfortable.There is no rule stating that athletes from the same team cannot raise their hand in the same race.There is no rules stating that athletes must adjust their blocks after they raise their hand. In order to avoid that confusion, before the meet everybody needs to be on the same page. My favorite is the Dq's for infraction during relays. Can someone please make me understand how one official can really judge 6 or 8 exchanges during a race.
@VaTrakFan
I have seen alot funny things at the state meets,such as officials unsettling athletes from a team from the eastern region by yelling at them before their race.One particuliar starter needs to understand it is within the athlete right to raise their hand before the set command,if he/she,wait too long in that position while someone is taking their sweet time ,if there is excessive noise,if there is a distraction, if the athlete is uncomfortable.There is no rule stating that athletes from the same team cannot raise their hand in the same race.There is no rules stating that athletes must adjust their blocks after they raise their hand.
In order to avoid that confusion, before the meet everybody needs to be on the same page.
My favorite is the Dq's for infraction during relays. Can someone please make me understand how one official can really judge 6 or 8 exchanges during a race.
02/05/2012 10:48:47 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@50ft Give me a break. Thats ridiculous even defending that behavior. Its completely unsportsmanlike what the team was doing with having multiple runners in the same heat of the hurdles...doing multiple hand raises in the blocks to play mind games with the competition. Its pretty clear what they are doing. That is something taught to the athletes by the coaches and I honestly have little respect for any coach that promotes and instructs something like that, especially at the high school level. It looks bad on the program as an outsider who has no dog in the fight. It just looks bad and feels wrong to anyone that has any fiber of sportsmanship and class in their body. Especially when you are already a great program, you don't need to do stuff like that to get an advantage. I'm glad that we have starters in Virginia high school track & field that don't tolerate that nonsense. I'm sure the other hurdlers in their heats do too. Just run the race...don't play games.
@50ft

Give me a break. Thats ridiculous even defending that behavior. Its completely unsportsmanlike what the team was doing with having multiple runners in the same heat of the hurdles...doing multiple hand raises in the blocks to play mind games with the competition. Its pretty clear what they are doing. That is something taught to the athletes by the coaches and I honestly have little respect for any coach that promotes and instructs something like that, especially at the high school level. It looks bad on the program as an outsider who has no dog in the fight. It just looks bad and feels wrong to anyone that has any fiber of sportsmanship and class in their body. Especially when you are already a great program, you don't need to do stuff like that to get an advantage. I'm glad that we have starters in Virginia high school track & field that don't tolerate that nonsense. I'm sure the other hurdlers in their heats do too. Just run the race...don't play games.
02/05/2012 11:06:41 PM
User
Well getting into the oppenents head is apart of any sport so other coaches should teach there athletes to be more focused on there races
Well getting into the oppenents head is apart of any sport so other coaches should teach there athletes to be more focused on there races
02/05/2012 11:41:12 PM
User
@MileStat Give you a break?? If I'm not mistaking, I don't believe you've been a sprinter or hurdler, so you have no idea what it's like to be in the starting blocks. Why is unsportsmanlike conduct your answer to everything? As far as athlete's raising their hand, it happens at all levels of track and field. You can't penalize a well trained athlete if they don't feel comfortable in the blocks. The only one's who stay in the blocks and don't raise their hand when they are not ready, are the one's who have not been trained properly. This is not a violation of the rules. Maybe you should get familiar with what sprinters go through by getting in touch with those that do know!! Cross Country and sprinting are 2 different animals! You run a great website and the information you provide is priceless, however, you need to stick to what you know, and it is certainly not sprinting or hurdling! Every time you disagree with a topic, you always use the excuse of unsportsmanlike conduct or ethics. It's time to come up with something new.
@MileStat Give you a break?? If I'm not mistaking, I don't believe you've been a sprinter or hurdler, so you have no idea what it's like to be in the starting blocks. Why is unsportsmanlike conduct your answer to everything? As far as athlete's raising their hand, it happens at all levels of track and field. You can't penalize a well trained athlete if they don't feel comfortable in the blocks. The only one's who stay in the blocks and don't raise their hand when they are not ready, are the one's who have not been trained properly. This is not a violation of the rules.
Maybe you should get familiar with what sprinters go through by getting in touch with those that do know!! Cross Country and sprinting are 2 different animals!
You run a great website and the information you provide is priceless, however, you need to stick to what you know, and it is certainly not sprinting or hurdling!
Every time you disagree with a topic, you always use the excuse of unsportsmanlike conduct or ethics. It's time to come up with something new.
02/05/2012 11:47:35 PM
User
@milestat Coming from someone who never got in the blocks i can understand your ignorance.Let the people who know sprinting comments.please make your response brief not long and boring as usual.
@milestat
Coming from someone who never got in the blocks i can understand your ignorance.Let the people who know sprinting comments.please make your response brief not long and boring as usual.
02/06/2012 12:00:39 AM
User
@50ft and @VaTrakFan Wrong is wrong. Dont matter if you a sprinter distance runner or hurdler we all know the unethical standpoint of what @MileStat saying. Games are games and as an individual that had the utmost respect for that program, it is well understood that the games have gone over the top. And we are getting away from the point here. The issue is with the officials. These officials come from who knows where and seem as if they have a personal vendetta against the Eastern district. I blame the meet directors, for doing whatever they can to I guess "level the playing field" The directors and executive members of this meet should have been disband after the Rick Cox incident years, ago however, they are still the same big wigs running the state meet and the VTech meet, where neither meet is pro athlete!!!!! I sure hope the SEC breaks away from the NCAA so that schools and teams can start breaking away from their BS governing bodies. Lets make these sports less about us and more about the KIDS!!!
@50ft and @VaTrakFan Wrong is wrong. Dont matter if you a sprinter distance runner or hurdler we all know the unethical standpoint of what @MileStat saying. Games are games and as an individual that had the utmost respect for that program, it is well understood that the games have gone over the top. And we are getting away from the point here. The issue is with the officials. These officials come from who knows where and seem as if they have a personal vendetta against the Eastern district. I blame the meet directors, for doing whatever they can to I guess "level the playing field" The directors and executive members of this meet should have been disband after the Rick Cox incident years, ago however, they are still the same big wigs running the state meet and the VTech meet, where neither meet is pro athlete!!!!! I sure hope the SEC breaks away from the NCAA so that schools and teams can start breaking away from their BS governing bodies. Lets make these sports less about us and more about the KIDS!!!
02/06/2012 12:35:02 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@50ft Oh yeah...I've never been in blocks before??? [img]http://va.milesplit.com/photos/files/9710/normal[/img]
@50ft

Oh yeah...I've never been in blocks before???

02/06/2012 4:55:37 AM
User
@MileStat you are not a reference nor an expert in track and field.Some topics are above your understanding,your record as an athlete and as a coach speak volume.Please stick with what you do best. "Oh yeah...I've never been in blocks before???'' It is quite obvious one the first thing you learn as a sprinter or teach as a coach is to raise your hand when you are uncomfortable in the blocks.That is universal.
@MileStat
you are not a reference nor an expert in track and field.Some topics are above your understanding,your record as an athlete and as a coach speak volume.Please stick with what you do best.
"Oh yeah...I've never been in blocks before???''
It is quite obvious one the first thing you learn as a sprinter or teach as a coach is to raise your hand when you are uncomfortable in the blocks.That is universal.
02/06/2012 7:30:57 AM
User
@trackstatick No, we don't understand the unethical message Milestat is sending. If he is sending a message, it she be titled "Hypocrisy". If I recall, his athlete was disqualified in a cross country meet for wearing a headband years ago. Seems there was a lot of ranting on the forum about that. Why was it okay to talk about the officials then? We know there has been bias against the eastern region and the meet officials prove it every year. Again, Milestat should continue to provide quality information about cross country, track and field in Virginia. Not personal opinions about topics in which there is no expertise! Unsportsman like conduct is a cheesy rule that officals use to DQ someone. I've sat in numerous coaches meetings before big meets and all they talk about is the uniform and jewelry rule. I'm begining to think that is all they know about track and field. Let the athletes decide on the field!!
@trackstatick
No, we don't understand the unethical message Milestat is sending. If he is sending a message, it she be titled "Hypocrisy". If I recall, his athlete was disqualified in a cross country meet for wearing a headband years ago. Seems there was a lot of ranting on the forum about that. Why was it okay to talk about the officials then? We know there has been bias against the eastern region and the meet officials prove it every year. Again, Milestat should continue to provide quality information about cross country, track and field in Virginia. Not personal opinions about topics in which there is no expertise! Unsportsman like conduct is a cheesy rule that officals use to DQ someone.
I've sat in numerous coaches meetings before big meets and all they talk about is the uniform and jewelry rule. I'm begining to think that is all they know about track and field.
Let the athletes decide on the field!!
02/06/2012 9:03:06 AM
User
Perhaps the regular officials in the Eastern Region are too lax during the season and let infractions go. Then, when the big stage comes, and the rules are enforced like they should be, the ER kids get caught in it, not having learned before. I wouldn't know. I have never seen a AAA meet. But no one else seems to be offering that as a possibility. I would add, however, that it's sad you believe the adults in our sport would intentionally punish kids for no other reason than they come from a different part of the state. Also, I have been thinking about this much (after many complaints of my own), and have come to the following conclusion: our state officials know plenty more than the jewelry and uniform rule. If the coaches in the state could teach it to their kids, our officials wouldn't have to explain it all the time. By doing so, they are trying to help ignorant coaching staffs and innocent teens.
Perhaps the regular officials in the Eastern Region are too lax during the season and let infractions go. Then, when the big stage comes, and the rules are enforced like they should be, the ER kids get caught in it, not having learned before.

I wouldn't know. I have never seen a AAA meet. But no one else seems to be offering that as a possibility.

I would add, however, that it's sad you believe the adults in our sport would intentionally punish kids for no other reason than they come from a different part of the state.

Also, I have been thinking about this much (after many complaints of my own), and have come to the following conclusion: our state officials know plenty more than the jewelry and uniform rule. If the coaches in the state could teach it to their kids, our officials wouldn't have to explain it all the time. By doing so, they are trying to help ignorant coaching staffs and innocent teens.
02/06/2012 12:00:10 PM
User
@BlueStreaksXCTF FYI all of the state meet officials AA and AAA are VHSL certified and 90% are USATF MASTER officials that have done multiple Collegiate meets up to and including NCAA regional meets. I don't think they lack for skills. I don't think any of them have a dog in the fight. BlueStreak may have something.
@BlueStreaksXCTF FYI all of the state meet officials AA and AAA are VHSL certified and 90% are USATF MASTER officials that have done multiple Collegiate meets up to and including NCAA regional meets. I don't think they lack for skills. I don't think any of them have a dog in the fight. BlueStreak may have something.
02/06/2012 6:27:03 PM
User
@50ft actually brandon miles probably has a wider range of knowledge of events then you do. just because he is ran long distance doesnt make him oblivious on other events. i can say this because he helped me with SHOT PUT..you know an event that falls under the field catagory. just because you do one thing doesnt mean that you are oblivious to everything else. that is an unfair and ignorant judgement. you should probably know what you are talking about before you challenge people's knowledge. if you want to let people just go out and run on the track then tell athletes to quit playing mind games and beat people with talent. talent proves who is best not who is the best at messing with other's head even if it is a part of sports.
@50ft actually brandon miles probably has a wider range of knowledge of events then you do. just because he is ran long distance doesnt make him oblivious on other events. i can say this because he helped me with SHOT PUT..you know an event that falls under the field catagory. just because you do one thing doesnt mean that you are oblivious to everything else. that is an unfair and ignorant judgement. you should probably know what you are talking about before you challenge people's knowledge. if you want to let people just go out and run on the track then tell athletes to quit playing mind games and beat people with talent. talent proves who is best not who is the best at messing with other's head even if it is a part of sports.
02/06/2012 8:52:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wow, attacking people because they have a different opinion than you, and then calling that person iognorant. Just because a person disagrees doesn't mean they are wrong or ill informed. And since nobody else here posts there resumes (or their names for that matter) then why do we all assume you guys are truly qualified sprint experts as well (just becuase someone once participated in an event hardly qualifies one as an expert). You can agree or diagree with Brandon, I'm not taking a stance on his viewpoint, only his right to say what he wants without personal attacks. Maybe ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. Finally, while some of your aguments about officials may have some merit in isolated situations I really find it hard to believe that there is this great conspiracy among all these officials against the Eastern Region. Conspiracy theories are almost always proven incorrect and often say more about the purveyors of said theories than those targeted by such theories.
Wow, attacking people because they have a different opinion than you, and then calling that person iognorant. Just because a person disagrees doesn't mean they are wrong or ill informed. And since nobody else here posts there resumes (or their names for that matter) then why do we all assume you guys are truly qualified sprint experts as well (just becuase someone once participated in an event hardly qualifies one as an expert). You can agree or diagree with Brandon, I'm not taking a stance on his viewpoint, only his right to say what he wants without personal attacks. Maybe ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. Finally, while some of your aguments about officials may have some merit in isolated situations I really find it hard to believe that there is this great conspiracy among all these officials against the Eastern Region. Conspiracy theories are almost always proven incorrect and often say more about the purveyors of said theories than those targeted by such theories.
02/06/2012 9:42:35 PM
User
I agree that athletes should not use the hand up to get in the heads of opponents, but if we're talking about the race that I think we are, after the two girls put their hands up, the official told the field that he would ignore anyone else doing so. After this my girl found herself uncomfortable in the blocks with nothing that she could do about it. So, while that kind of gamesmanship is not appreciated, the official should not remove that right from the other athletes simply because he doesn't feel like dealing with it.
I agree that athletes should not use the hand up to get in the heads of opponents, but if we're talking about the race that I think we are, after the two girls put their hands up, the official told the field that he would ignore anyone else doing so. After this my girl found herself uncomfortable in the blocks with nothing that she could do about it. So, while that kind of gamesmanship is not appreciated, the official should not remove that right from the other athletes simply because he doesn't feel like dealing with it.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.