Maurice Greene's fire extinguisher stunt

• User
    c_dub
    I have seen some pretty good celebration acts but Maurice Greene had the best one when he slung off his shoes right when he crossed the finish line from running his 9.8 100m and had someone come blow a fire extinguisher all over them. Now that is original.
  • Christian Edeleanu
    User
    StabDoesRunTrack
    It was a creative stunt, about as good as the Sharpie in the sock trick. Has he been running the 200 as well? I still remember Olympic trials 4 years ago when he and Michael Johnson talked trash the whole week...then both pulled hamstrings
  • Doug (DaddyDoug) McDaniel
    Site Admin
    Insider
    DougMcDaniel
    I saw it. I thought it was a conceited act. Very self serving. A lack of class. Maybe, Randy Johnson should have done it after his perfect game. It looked like a Deion Sanders self serving move. If Allen Webb or someone else had done it, you wouldn\'t think it was cool. You try it at the State meet and see what happens.

Class guys leave their talking for others. If one brags on himself or brings attention to him or herself, it is less effective. He had enough praise for his great time, he didn\'t need to show boat.
  • H Fish
    User
    FishSticks
    COME ON! it was awesome, everyone actually thought his shoes were on FIRE! Unfortunatly its things like this that get people\'s attention towards track, but still everytime i see the replay i gotta laugh :)
  • User
    c_dub
    It may have been a little arrogant but it is great for the sport. It isn\'t to many times you see track and field events in the ESPN top ten plays. He was just having a little fun. I hope he does well in the olympics.
  • User
    c_dub
    I saw Maurice run last night on ESPN and he smoked everybody. He ran a 9.79 and the next closest was 9.91. He isn\'t cocky, just confident that he will win and that is what he has to do. He will win the Olympics and probably set the world record soon.
  • User
    RunMor
    I like to think that what separates Track and Field from others sports (football, basketball, hockey) is the sense of truth of sport. What I mean is running to run and to compete, not to show off or be arrogant. I agree with Doug completely. It was funny yes, it was cool to talk about yes, but as far as being true to the sport of running I think it was an embarrASSment.

Alan Webb did jump over hurdles after he ran, but did he plan that out? No, it was done in the spur of the moment out of celebration, not being cocky like Greene. If Maurice Greene would realize that he is good enough as it is, he would realize that he doesn\'t have to pull that crap to get attention. Beg to differ?