Subscribe today ($36/year) to support MileStat.com's on-site coverage of high school track & field meets in Virginia
MileStat.com is on-site covering the first indoor track meet of the season at the Boo Williams Sportsplex in Hampton, Virginia with the Peninsula District Ice Breaker.
6.53 clocking in 55 dash from Kecoughtan freshmen Jaicon Fugate!
Knox-Wilson (7.29) makes it a Kecoughtan sweep in 55 dash
Cosby girls get a pair of individual winners from Smith in hurdles and Moseley in TJ
Day One Highlights:
- Kecoughtan swept the 55 meter dash finals with an impressive debut from freshmen Jacion Fugate clocking a 6.53 to win the boys 55 meter dash finals out of the gate, while senior teammate J'Niyah Knox-Wilson looks much improved from last spring in her 7.29 opening win.
- The Cosby girls seem to be doing alright in life after Megan Moye with Alexandria Moseley winning the triple jump with a leap of 37'9", while hurdler De'Nisha Smith was within a tenth of a second of her personal best from last winter in a 8.65 clocking to take first in the 55 meter hurdles finals.
- An All-State finisher in both indoor and outdoor last year in Group AAA in the high jump, Gloucester's Evan Wagner matched her personal best clearance of 5'4" in her first meet of the season to best the field in the girls' high jump.
- A rare All-State freshmen boys' thrower last spring in the discus, while throwing for over 50 feet in the shot put, Atlee's Austin Cannon began his sophomore season with a meet record mark of 48'11.50" in the shot put.
Day Two Highlights:
- Both Nathaniel Hall and Griffin Carmichael of Atlee gave valiant solo runs after auto state qualifier times in the boys' distance events, but came up short with swift openers regardless. The two-time Central Region cross country champ Hall won the 1600 in 4:25.34 to just miss the auto standard by 14 hundredths of a second.of 4:25.20. Carmichael, posted personal bests of 2:32 for 1000 meters and 1:55 for 800 meters last year, is working himself back to shape after an injury early in the cross country season. Carmichael went 1-2 in the 1000 on Saturday with teammate Tre Fields (2nd, 2:41.85) and clocked a winning time of 2:37.74
- Phoebus sophomore Carolyn Brown is looking to strength her range this year beyond the straightaway sprints and a 41.28 opener in the 300 meter dash for this indoor season is a good start. The reigning Group AAA state champion indoors at 55 meters could be in contention as well to be a double state champion in the sprints as she works her way down to a time of 40 seconds flat or faster in the 300 meter dash.
- After a slow start in relation to the field, Bethel sophomore Ashley Greenlee closed very strong over the final 200 meters to catch Cosby senior Jayden Metzger before the line in a winning time of 1:20.85. As a freshmen last year, Greenlee was a state qualifier indoors in the 500 with a 1:18 best and made the finals of the 400 meter dash at the Eastern Region Outdoor Championships.
- Warwick junior Ian Barrett had a weekend of PR's with a 6.67 clocking in the 55 meter dash on Friday and winning the 300 meter dash on Saturday in 36.49. Barrett also anchored the Warwick boys 4x200 meter relay to first in the event from the slow section with a time of 1:35.76.
- Cosby's Michael Kokal has established himself as one of the early favorites for the Central Region 500 meter dash title after chipping two seconds off his personal best from 2011-2012 season with a 1:06.34 performance at Boo Williams this weekend.
MileSplit National Elite Performances from the Peninsula District Ice Breaker at Boo Williams Sportsplex:
Peninsula District Ice Breaker Meet Coverage:
- Complete Results
- Day 1 Results
- Race Videos - More to be added later this weekend
- Video Interviews: Austin Cannon (Atlee) - Evan Wagner (Gloucester) - De'Nisha Smith (Cosby) - Carolyn Brown (Phoebus) - Kate Birnbaum (Cosby) - Nathaniel Hall (Atlee) - Ashley Greenlee (Bethel) - Michaek Kokal (Cosby) - Griffin Carmichael (Atlee)
- Performance List
- Meet Page